Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree194Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2016, 10:52   #106

Re: The Swarm!

Freedom of speech, maybe? Surely not the Financial Ombudsman Service!
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-01-2016, 11:08   #107
Beacon of light

if the poster did mean freedom of speech, then it would have been much better to put that, rather than leave it as an acronym which could be taken for many other less agreeable meanings.
I was always taught that if using an acronym for anything, it should be written out fully then the acronym bracketed so that this could be used in the following text and the meaning was clear.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 29-01-2016 at 11:10.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 11:08   #108
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Freedom of speech, maybe? Surely not the Financial Ombudsman Service!
Erm, I suspect your reply is FOS like myself you will have checked out the urban dictionary.

I'm finding the whole thread to be an interesting display of tolerance or perhaps the lack of it.
We have a newby from 2005 and our pseudo intellectual preaching for goodness and light whilst condemning (not tolerating) a member for his Auschwitz statement, like them I do find it a touch over the top to even consider something such as the final solution, but, to condemn everyone that is against allowing the illegals in because of this just shows how easy it is to blur the truth with our own little prejudices no matter which side of the fence we attempt to sit on.
cashman likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 11:13   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
less agreeable
I think you will find that the majority on here won't tolerate less and agreeable to be allowed in the same sentence.
Margaret Pilkington and Eric like this.
Old 29-01-2016, 12:03   #110
I am Banned

Quote:
There is a report button.(if you feel that any post is unsuitable then I suggest you use it, or contact a mod directly) The mods cannot be everywhere..they have lives to lead as well as look after the site.

No I don't want to report the posts Margaret, oh no leave em' on here as a testament to free speech and the sad sacks intellectual limitations.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 12:11   #111
Beacon of light

If you do not want to report the posts which so offend you then do not complain about the mods.
The last time I looked it was against the rules to make disparaging comments about the moderators.
You may think that 'Myopic' is not a disparaging term, but it was in the context you used it.(well, that is unless you are an optician and know for a fact that ALL the mods on here need glasses to correct this condition)
Old 29-01-2016, 12:15   #112
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
No I don't want to report the posts Margaret, oh no leave em' on here as a testament to free speech and the sad sacks intellectual limitations.
Quote:
If you do not want to report the posts which so offend you then do not complain about the mods.
The last time I looked it was against the rules to make disparaging comments about the moderators.
You may think that 'Myopic' is not a disparaging term, but it was in the context you used it.(well, that is unless you are an optician and know for a fact that ALL the mods on here need glasses to correct this condition)
Perhaps that top quote displays intellectual limitations? in view of the site rules?
Old 29-01-2016, 12:17   #113

My sincere apologies, I referred to freedom of speech (FOS). I had not realised you would be so pedantic on the use of acronyms Margaret Pilkington given your frequent use of them and a general lack of attention to grammar in your comments. I note also your use of ...

To be a newbie yet a member for so many years is contradictory also.

As for peace, I did not in any way preach this, why should peace necessarily be associated with the gospel? it is inherent in many treaties aimed at protecting and promoting harmony in the world.

I merely asked the questions in my comment (number 102), perhaps some of you took it personally for some reason?
imagined1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 12:26   #114
Beacon of light

for your information, I did not post that comment about being a newbie.
I took nothing personally.
I was not being pedantic either. Acronyms can mean different things to different people. If you use an acronym or an abbreviation it is good practice to say first what the acronym or abbreviation means . This ensures that the meaning is clear and cannot be misinterpreted.
As for my grammatical errors...only those who are perfect can criticise those who are not(and I certainly do not profess to be) and lead them to better practice......go back and look at you post 102 and see if you missed out some punctuation.
So your apology was not sincere at all then.
Old 29-01-2016, 12:39   #115
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Looks to me like another know all, know nowt type.
Old 29-01-2016, 13:21   #116
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagined1 View Post
I'm sure Nazism was abolished due to a unity far removed from the debate today over who should take more or less of these refugees and asylum seekers.

What value does a person put on their principles?
Should we be questioning the integrity of a person who refers to other human beings as vermin and turds and suggests they face persecution at Auschwitch?

How sustained is a commitment to peace and tolerance. A world that is free from fear and animosity and scaremongering over perceived dangers.

Yes of course there are problems at our borders I cannot dispute this but my concern is that the continued tolerance of despicable FOS on here, apparently a child friendly forum, is unnerving.
As you express criticism about the grammar of others, let's have a butchers at this mess. Let's pass quickly over Nazism being "abolished" and "due to" instead of "because of". Please, it is not "less", but "fewer". And I always thought "person" was singular. Silly me. Perhaps after "How sustained ... tolerance" we should expect a "?", or even "!". The "sentence" that follows, isn't a sentence.

And I would suggest that FOS is not an issue. The offensive post goes well beyond FOS. Even in my enlightened country, we recognize there are limits. Have a nice day.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 13:31   #117

You were paying attention during English Language lessons at Accrington Grammar School, Eric. 10 out of 10!
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 13:37   #118
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Looks to me like another know all, know nowt type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
As you express criticism about the grammar of others, let's have a butchers at this mess. Let's pass quickly over Nazism being "abolished" and "due to" instead of "because of". Please, it is not "less", but "fewer". And I always thought "person" was singular. Silly me. Perhaps after "How sustained ... tolerance" we should expect a "?", or even "!". The "sentence" that follows, isn't a sentence.

And I would suggest that FOS is not an issue. The offensive post goes well beyond FOS. Even in my enlightened country, we recognize there are limits. Have a nice day.
Looks like i could be correct.
Old 29-01-2016, 13:42   #119

Quote:
You were paying attention during English Language lessons at Accrington Grammar School, Eric. 10 out of 10!
What's the betting that imagined1 turns out to be an English teacher of long standing at one of our Secondary Modern schools?
cashman, Eric and Michael1954 like this.
Old 29-01-2016, 13:47   #120
God Member

Quote:
OMG! That's a half century ago.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..