Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree194Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2016, 14:50   #121

Re: The Swarm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
OMG! That's a half century ago.
I know! I was there 1965 to 1971. We're getting on a bit now, Eric.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-01-2016, 14:51   #122
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
OMG! That's a half century ago.

According to :-
Urban Dictionary: omg

OMG
Used by retarded teenagers.
They say it stands for OH MY GOD, but they really mean it stands for OBSERVE MY GAYNESS
Retarded Teenager: OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!
Me: I am
Other Person: Hey dip**** is it really too hard for you to spell Oh My God
by Scribbler March 18, 2005

Eric likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 14:53   #123

Despite my comment in post 106, I took FOS to mean something else (Less's suspicions were correct!), so I'm with Margaret regarding the use of acronyms.
Old 29-01-2016, 15:22   #124
Beacon of light

On the internet, I have seen this acronym used to pronounce something to be 'constipated' I suppose would be the polite word......and also for other even less savoury phrases too. Which was why I asked for clarification.

Yes, in the past I have used acronyms without first putting the full terminology(mea culpa).
The most recent being ENT in relation to Nursing.....now I don't know any phrase or slang which could be misconstrued as anything other than Ear, Nose and Throat.
I suppose that imagined1 has trawled through all my posts(so he really hasn't had much time to posy anything here has he?) to check on how many times I have committed this sin(as I said, I am not perfect).

I try very hard not to criticise other peoples failings when it comes to spelling and grammar. I know full well that if you criticise such things, your own posts will be subjected to forensic scrutiny....and anyway, I am so over having Accyweb as my English homework.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 29-01-2016 at 15:25.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 15:25   #125

ENT? Weren't Ents in Lord Of The Rings? :-)
Old 29-01-2016, 15:28   #126
Beacon of light

Were they Ents...or ENT......? I don't know I haven't read Lord of the Rings for more than 30 years now. Maybe I should go back to it
Michael1954 likes this.
Old 29-01-2016, 15:30   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Were they Ents...or ENT......? I don't know I haven't read Lord of the Rings for more than 30 years now. Maybe I should go back to it
If you do, don't get upset with the spelling or grammar, it came from a wonderfully vivid imagination, like wot my posts is innit?
Old 29-01-2016, 15:46   #128

This is why I like AccyWeb. Cameron makes a flippant comment in Parliament, causing a debate (heated at times) on this site, which then leads to a discussion about good and bad grammar, and finally chit chat about Ents and books. It's varied every day. I might disagree with some of the things said (Grr!), but, all in all, it is an entertaining site.
Old 29-01-2016, 15:57   #129
Beacon of light

so right......and it has made it a lot lighter too. No bad thing.
Old 29-01-2016, 17:32   #130
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
According to :-
Urban Dictionary: omg

OMG
Used by retarded teenagers.
They say it stands for OH MY GOD, but they really mean it stands for OBSERVE MY GAYNESS
Retarded Teenager: OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!
Me: I am
Other Person: Hey dip**** is it really too hard for you to spell Oh My God
by Scribbler March 18, 2005

totally awesome response i mean like literally

To get away from the "swarm" thing ... there are millions of real refugees in Syria and Jordan etc. How are folks over there responding to the resettlement of these? Does the UK government have a target figure, the no. that they are prepared to allow legally into the country? Are British officials on the ground, in Syria and Jordan for example, processing legitimate claimants? And is the sort of mess that is happening in Calais and elsewhere affecting how the British public views legitimate claimants?

The Channel isn't much of a barrier, unlike the Atlantic; but The Channel, and the coasts of Britain can be controlled, especially if the EU minds its own friggin' business.

Not without dissent from many Canadians, particularly in areas where the defeated tories still have some strength, we are committed to taking 25 thousand Syrians .... families and groups at risk first.. We shall probably meet that target by the end of February. Not only the Federal, Provincial, and municipal governments, but also local church groups are sponsoring refugees, many of whom arrived by RCAF transports. Not surprisingly, they seem to like it here.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 18:18   #131
Beacon of light

Quote:
totally awesome response i mean like literally

To get away from the "swarm" thing ... there are millions of real refugees in Syria and Jordan etc. How are folks over there responding to the resettlement of these? Does the UK government have a target figure, the no. that they are prepared to allow legally into the country? Are British officials on the ground, in Syria and Jordan for example, processing legitimate claimants? And is the sort of mess that is happening in Calais and elsewhere affecting how the British public views legitimate claimants?

The Channel isn't much of a barrier, unlike the Atlantic; but The Channel, and the coasts of Britain can be controlled, especially if the EU minds its own friggin' business.

Not without dissent from many Canadians, particularly in areas where the defeated tories still have some strength, we are committed to taking 25 thousand Syrians .... families and groups at risk first.. We shall probably meet that target by the end of February. Not only the Federal, Provincial, and municipal governments, but also local church groups are sponsoring refugees, many of whom arrived by RCAF transports. Not surprisingly, they seem to like it here.
I could be wrong here, but I am sure that if I am, I will be soundly corrected by those who are more informed.
My understanding is that the government want to take people from the camps in Syria(I don't know if this is because they can be more assured of where these refugees/migrants originate from). Money has been given by the government to establish these camps and manage the refugees.

There has been a quota set, but for the life of me I cannot think exactly what it is.

As for how the British public perceive the legitimate claimants...of course their view has been affected by what they see happening in other EU countries...but also we are being asked to take on the chin cuts in services......apparently there is no money, yet we can home these refugees/migrants/asylum seekers.

David Cameron was in the North of England yesterday surveying the damage left by the floods. He has pledged some 3 million pounds but the actual cost of the damage (worked out by Price Waterhouse) is nearer to 600 million.
Now when things like this happen in other parts of the world the British people dig deep and donate......and they have been doing that for the folk affected by this disaster....but I am not aware of any aid coming from anywhere else in the world(despite there being an EU fund for such things).
Now I know this may seem pretty small beer next to the suffering that some of the people in the camps have gone through....but people do feel like everyone else comes first.

The refugee crisis was handled very badly from the outset......with EU leaders thinking with the seats of their pants. Not considering long term plans. Mainly because they hadn't any long term plans.

It was obvious that once countries said 'come one come all' that many more would set out on this journey.
Little thought was paid to how these migrants would be housed, schooled and health care looked after. If the infrastructure is not there to support the influx then you can only expect chaos.......and it is the indigent population that are affected, not the politicians.

In truth many of these people should not be in Europe. They seem to despise western lifestyles and they do not integrate where ever they go. It is thought that Sweden is going to deport some 50,000 of them during the next two years.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 29-01-2016 at 18:22.
Old 29-01-2016, 18:32   #132
God Member

Just been reading around a bit ... Seems like the Aussies are taking a whole bunch of Syrians too. Things have changed since Billy Hughes' refusal to sign on to a racial equality clause at Versailles. Not to mention the "Whites Only" immigration policy. Seems to me that the issue is not refugees but the uncontrolled migration of thousands of people from the Middle East, some of whom may not be genuine. Options available: stricter controls at national borders (if there are any left in Europe), and brass for the cash-strapped countries already sheltering refugees ... you can come up with more, not including the Auschwitz option.

As Margaret pointed out, extremely wealthy Middle Eastern countries ... that most obnoxious of states, Saudi Arabia comes to mind ... are doing sod all to help. Maybe, with a world glut of oil around the corner, it's time to cut loose from our Arab "allies" ... Time to support the one true democracy in the Area, Israel. Oh, and let's help out the Kurdish fighters ... at least get the goddamn Turks off their backs.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 19:41   #133
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
I'll give you 8/10 on Tellings Rules 14 through 17 then.
I'll readily admit my ignorance as to whatever it is you're on about! A little insight into whoever or whatever "Tellings rules" are & I may even get back to you with some smart & pithy answer ...... then again, maybe not!
Old 29-01-2016, 20:31   #134
Beacon of light

I have never heard of Tellings Rules either.
So you are not on your own there son.
Old 29-01-2016, 20:38   #135

I'm sure we could all Google them but, no, let him have his moment of false superiority as he gloats over our ignorance and has to inform us of this essential piece of knowledge.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..