Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2015, 23:14   #1
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Smile Crematorium

Heard a rumor that Hynburn Crematorium is having the Cross removed so it that doesn't up set minority groups living in Hynburn.. Has anyone else heard if its true....

Last edited by mab; 30-09-2015 at 23:18.
mab is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-09-2015, 23:50   #2
God Member

Re: Crematorium

not having its gone

from what i can make out the decision has been reversed but instead of restoring the large cross a piddly little cross will be available and slung under a shelf if anyone wants it removing

like or dislike peter britcliffe he acted on this and raised awareness of it so it couldn't quietly slip by

just your usual insensitive councilor coming up with anything he can to grab a headline and get his name in the press regardless of how many people he causes upset to

i doubt he would have insulted the muslim faith in this way but hey ho its only christians been offended and if the full cross isnt restored as to how it has been for many years the people of Hyndburn will know exactly how little he thinks of the people he came to live among

£2000 to remove a cross and slap a bit of white paint on the walls then pee off a whole district - bargain

just a note

no muslims complained nor did anyone else he thought this up all off his own bat although he did use the jehovas and atheists to justify his decision

his next stunt will be removing the crosses off hot cross buns

ps:

ken moss is the man in question .... yeah that one

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 01-10-2015 at 00:00.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:25   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
ken moss is the man in question .... yeah that one
You do surprise me, I thought Ken was one of the more "balanced" of the labour luvvie lefties ........ Aye well! You live & learn.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:21   #4
Common Sense Member

I thought this would crop up on here. It's just another headline-grabbing lie from Peter Britcliffe. The cross will remain up unless requested to be taken down, not the other way around.

Government guidelines now state that public buildings should be non-secular so the only difference is that a cross is now permanently displayed on a stand rather than the wall. It makes it easier to remove when asked.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:27   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Right clarify please. Is it the original cross that will remain up? or a small one will remain to be removed if asked.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:51   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss
Government guidelines now state that public buildings should be non-secular
In which case the cross stays, or the council should buy a dictionary to prevent its councillors using words they don't know the meaning of.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:05   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
It's just another headline-grabbing lie from Peter Britcliffe.
I think you meant mis-interpreted

Council accused of ?staggering U-turn? in Accrington crematorium cross saga (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Old 01-10-2015, 08:49   #8
Senior Member+

We haven't heard of any other councils making similar decisions. I would like to see evidence of this 'government guideline' Until then, I won't believe it.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:38   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I thought this would crop up on here. It's just another headline-grabbing lie from Peter Britcliffe. The cross will remain up unless requested to be taken down, not the other way around.

Government guidelines now state that public buildings should be non-secular so the only difference is that a cross is now permanently displayed on a stand rather than the wall. It makes it easier to remove when asked.
It cropped up on facebook as well, far more people are annoyed on yon, yet you have not responded on there nor clarified on here exactly whats happening/happened, so why should anyone take your word about someone lying?
Old 01-10-2015, 12:15   #10

As this is supposed to be a Christian country it should be the other way around - the cross should remain there unless a funeral organizer requests it's removal.

What next churches to remove the cross & paint out their windows?
I'm sure mosques would not be removing their symbology.

Another blot on the world of sensibility & score 1 for the PC nutters.
cashman likes this.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:22   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
As this is supposed to be a Christian country it should be the other way around - the cross should remain there unless a funeral organizer requests it's removal.

What next churches to remove the cross & paint out their windows?
I'm sure mosques would not be removing their symbology.

Another blot on the world of sensibility & score 1 for the PC nutters.
It's got nothing to do with mosques or the Muslim faith, they don't use crems.

It's because the majority of people (40%) do not have a faith. Yes 40% is a majority in Hyndburn, thats why the benches were removed, because the majority of people ( 3or 4 ? ) were causing problems
Old 01-10-2015, 14:03   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Its sod all to do with "ANY" religious group imho, more to do with stupid Do-Gooding P.C. clowns.
Old 01-10-2015, 14:27   #13
Beacon of light

I am not overly religious, but I would say to those who find the cross offensive 'Take yourself off to somewhere that does not offend your very delicate sensibilities'.
I am offended by lots of things in life......but you have to build a bridge and get over it.
As Rainbow Six says, this is still a Christian country.....and yet people are surprised and offended if they see a cross in a Crematorium. Whatever next?
Leave the cross where it is. The person who is being cremated may not have strong religious views, but many of those who attend the ceremony may have religious ideal and may find that the cross is not only appropriate but a symbol of comfort.

Yes, Cashy...I think you have scored a direct hit with that last post of yours.
westendlass and Accyexplorer like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 14:31   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Ta very much Margaret.
Old 01-10-2015, 14:35   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Its sod all to do with "ANY" religious group imho, more to do with stupid Do-Gooding P.C. clowns.
PC horse manure, it benefits nobody. If anyone is offended, screw them. Bring back common sense. Oh ... I know it's a little early for this ... have a Merry Christmas. Which reminds me: Last year I was watching the Toronto Santa Clause Parade. In the crowd were lots of muslim families with their kids, all cheering and waving, most of them wearing Ho Ho Hats. They didn't seem one damned bit offended.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..