Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2015, 18:01   #76
Senior Member+

Re: Crematorium

I understand that the Cross has been restored to it's rightful place in the Crematorium, although the person who saw it thought that it was smaller than the original one. If that is so perhaps the original one was taken away as scrap by someone who wanted some nice pieces of wood, or who has a wood burner.
Mr Moss hasn't left yet Cashy, although he no longer frequents Accyweb, and now seems to have also deserted Hyndburn Chat he is now writing for the Observer - he produced quite a lengthy letter to the Editor last week - I am still trying to understand what he is saying. One point he does make is that people should shop locally and he shops in Accrington every week - wonder why he doesn't shop in Rishton?
Accrington Web
Old 07-12-2015, 18:22   #77
Common Sense Member

I haven't posted up until now because I can't quite believe the crazy directions this thread has gone in. The late Jaysay and myself may not have always seen eye to eye but I fancy he would have put a lot of you straight by now.

For the record Barrie, it is exactly the same cross. I am not on Hyndburn Chat because I gave Gary Martin some straight answers which he didn't like so I got banned. I understand from other users that some fantastic claims are being made over there regarding the cross (I have burned it, apparently) so I take the whole thing with a pinch of salt.

I'm sorry that my letter in the Observer was so confusing for you. It was written in plain English and the editor obviously felt it was print worthy. Evidently less so for you?

Finally, I shop in Rishton several times a week. I didn't realise that I was under surveillance but I suggest you tighten up security if I am able to spend money in the village so freely without you knowing about it.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 19:22   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well well, silly me, thought yeh had returned to finally hold yer hand up!!! but no yeh returned to use me owd mate, who cant answer fer himself, I shouldn't really be shocked, but i am. by the way i now take your claims wi a pinch of salt Mr Moss, cos i have heard none of those allegations yer making of Hyndburn Chat.
Old 07-12-2015, 19:36   #79
Common Sense Member

Then ask Gary why I can't find Hyndburn Chat on any searches. He must really have dug deep because even my partner has been kicked off and blocked as she can't find it either.

I have no problem that Miles stepped in and made the decision to keep it. Despite all the imagined reasons why this happened, the fact still stands that it is a government guideline for all public crematoria which I was adhering to. A guideline, not a rule, and I got it wrong in this case. I have no qualms about saying that and never have had but that bit has strangely not been reported in the press.

The problem is that the truth isn't as juicy as a lie.

Old 07-12-2015, 20:52   #80
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I haven't posted up until now because I can't quite believe the crazy directions this thread has gone in. The late Jaysay and myself may not have always seen eye to eye but I fancy he would have put a lot of you straight by now.

For the record Barrie, it is exactly the same cross. I am not on Hyndburn Chat because I gave Gary Martin some straight answers which he didn't like so I got banned. I understand from other users that some fantastic claims are being made over there regarding the cross (I have burned it, apparently) so I take the whole thing with a pinch of salt.

I'm sorry that my letter in the Observer was so confusing for you. It was written in plain English and the editor obviously felt it was print worthy. Evidently less so for you?

Finally, I shop in Rishton several times a week. I didn't realise that I was under surveillance but I suggest you tighten up security if I am able to spend money in the village so freely without you knowing about it.
What a shame, yes, what a shame that you had to use a deceased member in an attempt to strengthen your belated reply.

Quote:
Then ask Gary why I can't find Hyndburn Chat on any searches. He must really have dug deep because even my partner has been kicked off and blocked as she can't find it either.

I have no problem that Miles stepped in and made the decision to keep it. Despite all the imagined reasons why this happened, the fact still stands that it is a government guideline for all public crematoria which I was adhering to. A guideline, not a rule, and I got it wrong in this case. I have no qualms about saying that and never have had but that bit has strangely not been reported in the press.

The problem is that the truth isn't as juicy as a lie.
What a shame, yes what a shame that you took a guideline and unthinkingly applied it as if it had been written in stone without first giving it a great deal of thought.

Guidelines are just that guidelines something a thinking representative of our borough would have in this instance, rejected as a no brainer.

What a shame, yes what a shame that you can't find Hyndburn chat, because I for one don't care about what you, or it's members may have said about this particular issue on there it's what's been said on here that we pay attention to. This is AccyWeb you have enough of a downer about this site to fill a server, no need for us to find that you can't get on with folk elsewhere and have our servers filled with that none news as well.

I also have no problem with Miles stepping in just a shame that steps had been taken resulting in the need for him to step in.

The truth isn't as juicy as a lie? Of course it is!

You took the truth be it in the form of a guideline and applied it where it upset members of your community, no-one from any race or creed had shown any animosity to the cross being there but there sure as hell were plenty that took um-bridge because you had it removed.

Perhaps when next you do something on my or anyone else's behalf you will think back to this oops of yours and apply just a little common sense?

Let me re-assure you though, no matter how many times you come on site to tell us off (what a joy it would be if one day you came on and actually had something positive to say about the site) no matter how wrong you are, no matter how many of us you may attempt to insult, unlike Hyndburn chat, you won't find yourself banned just because the mods or members don't like what you say.

If I don't hear from you again until local election time I hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas and a thoughtful new year.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 21:20   #81
Common Sense Member

Downer on this site? Good grief, there are only half a dozen of you posting regularly and you all seem to despise everything about the planet!

Whatever mistakes I make at least I won't be as miserable as you lot.

Find something positive, somewhere, anywhere, and post about that for a change.

Old 07-12-2015, 21:29   #82
Beacon of light

Ken if it is so bad, then you have the option not to come on here.....it is your choice.

It was a cheap shot to use the presumed opinion of a deceased member to make your point.
You cannot possibly know what that members approach would have been had he still been with us.
However, it is good that you can now see that slavishly following guidelines(whether they are government supported or not) makes little sense...especially as you know the town so well.
Surely the outrage was not a surprise to you.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 21:38   #83

Quote:
Downer on this site? Good grief, there are only half a dozen of you posting regularly and you all seem to despise everything about the planet!

Whatever mistakes I make at least I won't be as miserable as you lot.

Find something positive, somewhere, anywhere, and post about that for a change.
Well, there you go again, perhaps you didn't see our guideline about thinking before you post?

Or maybe you chose to ignore it?

1/ you can't count there are more than 6 of us posting regularly.

2/ We don't all despise everything I might despise the majority of things but I'm only one member.

3/ Re-read your post if we are miserable it fits right in, welcome.

4/ Thank you for admitting you make mistakes, that will also help you to make friends on here.

5/ Take a look around, there are a few 'happier' threads, however if all our politicians can feed us is doom and gloom such as for instance removing a cross because of a guideline, then why yes we plebs will tend to become just a tad jaded and disappointed with the world.

6/ If you want positive answers to your posts come on with a positive attitude. Treat us as if we have a brain cell even if we only get to use it between us on time share!

I repeat my seasonal greeting to you and yours, when you start thinking instead of just posting perhaps you will calm down and realise that there are worse places to be than on AccyWeb?
Old 07-12-2015, 21:44   #84
Common Sense Member

Barrie's comment popped up in my email inbox, it was filled with inaccuracies and I couldn't let it ride.

As I have said countless times before, the Crem was being redecorated and it was an appropriate time. We do get asked on an increasingly regular (although not exceptionally frequent) basis to cover the cross by groups such as humanists for their ceremonies. The cross is over seven feet tall, solid wood and very heavy so it was felt that a large portable one on the altar would do the same job but be easier. Blackpool remains the only authority in Lancashire not to have done this.

Britcliffe decided that telling the Daily Mail would be better than an email to me or anyone else in the Council. What should have been a reasonable discussion escalated into an attack on Muslims, somewhat inevitably and instantaneously.

I prefer tea and biscuits to having a full blown press argument because the full facts are never reported. Instead of a sensible discussion, we got the Britcliffe media explosion which I hated every second of and everyone came out of feeling antipathy towards everyone else.

In other words, nobody won and everyone looks bad to someone. The church managed to generate more bad feeling towards it by going public with Peter than it realises.

Old 07-12-2015, 21:51   #85
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Oh thats another brahmer..............blame the church as well.
Old 07-12-2015, 22:03   #86
Common Sense Member

If they had such an issue with it why didn't they ask to speak to me before going to the press?

It's not an unreasonable question.

Old 07-12-2015, 22:06   #87
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Oh thats another brahmer..............blame the church as well.
Brahmer? Not heard that before sorry.

And who is blaming the church? I just think they would have come in for less stick if they'd actually tried to speak to me before going to the Daily Mail with Peter.

Believe me, they did get stick.

Old 07-12-2015, 22:13   #88

Quote:

Believe me,
I used to but then you got elected, perhaps over time we have both changed.

I have become more cynical of your posts and you have given me many reasons to be cynical about your posts.

On the positive side however...

erm,

erm'

Oh dear, think Less, think of something positive...

Oh Yeah, we got the cross back, now I can start a real downer of a thread about how religion and it's symbolism rears it's ugly head far too often on site.

Old 07-12-2015, 22:32   #89
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
If they had such an issue with it why didn't they ask to speak to me before going to the press?

It's not an unreasonable question.
Possibly to highlight the stupidity of the decision? thats not an unreasonable supposition.
Old 07-12-2015, 22:36   #90
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Possibly to highlight the stupidity of the decision? thats not an unreasonable supposition.
Or the least productive way of winning an argument. If you genuinely believe that making a public song and dance about something is better than talking things over in private then I pity you.

Your life must have been Hell if every objection to stupidity involved running to the press.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..