Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2015, 17:21   #106
Beacon of light

Re: Crematorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
No the original decision was doing what most Councils have done and followed government guidelines as expected to do. A removeable cross in a non religious crematorium is logical. The building looks like a church but it isn't.

Those against a cross being taken off the wall and put on the table fell for a game played out by a few for their gain not the people of Hyndburn.

I think you would be annoyed at yourself if you realised who you'd been supporting.
Would that person have the initials PB by any chance?

And my feelings are not that I support anyone elses views, but that I think it was misguided to remove the cross because it causes very little in the way of offence to people who are bereaved(and the fact that councils have followed government guidelines slavishly at the expense of the communities they serve says much about the mindless sheep that make up these councils)...they have other things on their mind.

At the end of all the shenanigans the apology(if that is what it was ) came too late and seemed to be given grudgingly......not the mark of an honorable person at all.......yes, I know there is little honour in politics.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-12-2015, 17:33   #107
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Do you have figures to back up this statement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
That i do not believe at all, unless you can prove otherwise.
Nope, I'm taking Ken at his word.
Old 09-12-2015, 17:38   #108
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Would that person have the initials PB by any chance?

And my feelings are not that I support anyone elses views, but that I think it was misguided to remove the cross because it causes very little in the way of offence to people who are bereaved(and the fact that councils have followed government guidelines slavishly at the expense of the communities they serve says much about the mindless sheep that make up these councils)...they have other things on their mind.

At the end of all the shenanigans the apology(if that is what it was ) came too late and seemed to be given grudgingly......not the mark of an honorable person at all.......yes, I know there is little honour in politics.
Ken already mentioned Peter so thats a given. It was what others did that I was disappointed by.

You can't really apologise for doing something wrong until a different solution has been found and implemented. What if the original solution was decided in the end to be the correct solution after apologising for it? I've confused myself but you probably get what I mean
Old 09-12-2015, 17:44   #109
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Nope, I'm taking Ken at his word.
Well sorry, seeing how he used Jaysays name to aid him, i certainly wouldn't!! once of a time i would have took his word, no doubt.
Morecambe Ex Pat likes this.
Old 09-12-2015, 18:06   #110
Beacon of light

Quote:
Ken already mentioned Peter so thats a given. It was what others did that I was disappointed by.

You can't really apologise for doing something wrong until a different solution has been found and implemented. What if the original solution was decided in the end to be the correct solution after apologising for it? I've confused myself but you probably get what I mean
If you mean that the correct solution was reinstating the cross......well, the problem would not have arisen if it had not been removed in the first place...and I know that it was said to have been removed for the crematorium to be decorated........but, if that was the case and someone made mischief by saying that the cross was being removed for other reasons, then that should come to light, and the mischief makers named.

If the cross was being put back after the decorations then there was no story to tell and nothing to apologise for.
As for the cross being too heavy to move...it did not need to be moved at all...all it needed was for it to be on the wall, a curtain runner placed above it......a velvet curtain in subtle colours put onto the runner and hey presto...anyone who wants the cross to be out of view and the curtain can be pulled across to save offending anyone who felt it to be inappropriate.

That there is more to this story than we are being told surprises no-one......but truthfully we can only comment on what we know.....what we are told bu those who know the truth......the response on here has been of that order.
Whatever the discussion on some other forum cannot be of any relevance here.
Less, cashman and Morecambe Ex Pat like this.
Old 09-12-2015, 18:30   #111
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Mischief always goes on behind the scenes, its called Politics, The buck stops with the person who made the decision, not rocket science or bullshine either.
Old 10-12-2015, 15:25   #112

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
No the original decision was doing what most Councils have done and followed government guidelines as expected to do.
Most councils? Government guidelines?

Looking at our nearest neighbours...Blackburn, Burnley, Pendle, Rossendale....none of which have done this, or attempted to do this..and I can't find evidence of any other local council in the UK doing this either.

And frankly I've also searched gov.uk and although I've found many relating to crematoria, I have found none that advocate removing religious sybolism...

But I'm prepared to be corrected if your 'sources', 'in the know' mates or imaginary friend can point me to them..or have you just taken them at their word too?

And I don't care if political capital was gained or not by openly publicising this travesty of intelligence...we had to put up with so many threads from this particular councillor 'slagging off' the opposition at every opportunity before he was in power (pot and kettle spring readily to mind).
Old 10-12-2015, 17:11   #113
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I think the cross should be removeable. Religion shouldn't be stuffed down anyones throat.

I think they way they went about it and how they decided to do it was poor
Old 10-12-2015, 17:30   #114
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I think the cross should be removeable. Religion shouldn't be stuffed down anyones throat.

The cross isn't the problem, it has been there causing no problems whatsoever.

I have no personal religion, some do, it has already, earlier in the thread been shown that other religions didn't have a problem with it. How? by the number of complaints about the cross being there.

The crem' is where I, and most of us will end up, when it's my turn I really won't care if it's a cross, the star of David or an old betting slip that is on display.

What annoy's me is that the guy that took the wrong decision (perhaps he shouldn't rely on his advisor's?) complains that we do nothing but moan when he gets things wrong. Maybe he should listen to the Accrington six? We won't go out of our way to push him into his next embarrassing decision.

Last edited by Less; 10-12-2015 at 17:33.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 18:04   #115
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
The cross isn't the problem, it has been there causing no problems whatsoever.
Thats it in a nutshell,!! Seems to me someone has summat to gain by supporting K.Moss?
Old 10-12-2015, 18:10   #116
Beacon of light

Quote:

I don't think anyone is trying to stuff religion down anyone's throat.
When you are at a funeral, even a humanist one......does the religious symbolism of the cross really offend anyone?
And in the congregation there may be some who have no strong religious beliefs, but there mya be others who do have spiritual beliefs.......so who do you please?

My solution to those who feel the the religious symbol is not appropriate is simple, would cost very little and would be easy to maintain.
cashman likes this.
Old 10-12-2015, 18:12   #117
Full Member+

Do the local politician types seek the opinion of 'normal' people around them and some of those who elected them before reaching decisions on such matters?
I am sure that forums such as this could give a far more accurate view of public opinion than any guideline issued by the out of touch politicians who represent us.

Why did the cross have to be removed in the first place, a proper painter could have covered it up and easily painted round it.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 18:13   #118
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Exactly a curtain, sod all else required.
Old 10-12-2015, 18:13   #119
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Maybe he should listen to the Accrington six?
And here we have another politician who has a problem with numbers.......although the other one was 95% wasn't it?
Old 10-12-2015, 18:16   #120
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
And here we have another politician who has a problem with numbers.......although the other one was 95% wasn't I'm it?
I'm 95% certain thats correct.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..