Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2015, 18:49   #16
Beacon of light

Re: 5p for a carrier bag

The other year when we had very high winds the trees on the motorway were festooned with Carrier bags which had blown onto the trees from the tip at Whinney hill.
It looked terrible.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-10-2015, 18:50   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
They are allowed to pocket the cost of the bag, but 5 pence is in excess of what the carriers cost the retailer and they will donate the rest to charity...how this will be policed I have no idea,
If the bag is on the bill then I suspect there will be vat on it, so the government will be getting part of it, doubt if they will spend it on green issues though, probably up the expenses of MP's
Old 01-10-2015, 19:00   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
If the bag is on the bill then I suspect there will be vat on it, so the government will be getting part of it, doubt if they will spend it on green issues though, probably up the expenses of MP's
Nah keep it back as a slush fund, to pay any fines they get fer fiddling.
Old 01-10-2015, 19:03   #19
Beacon of light

How much Vat would there be on a 5 pence bag?
If vat was at 20% it would be a penny.
How much would it cost to administrate this.....probably more than it would generate.
Old 01-10-2015, 19:19   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
How much Vat would there be on a 5 pence bag?
If vat was at 20% it would be a penny.
How much would it cost to administrate this.....probably more than it would generate.
Won't cost any extra to administer as it will be part of the process already for the big supermarkets, 8.5 billion bags used in 2014, even a fraction of that is a lot of pennies
Old 01-10-2015, 19:23   #21
Beacon of light

Well, then let us hope that everyone remembers to bring a bag from home.....to scupper any possibility of the government getting their hands on very much money.
I know that will strengthen my resolve to always carry a few.....I might even give one to a shopper who hasn't brought one.
lancsdave likes this.
Old 01-10-2015, 20:14   #22
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I always take the bag shopping, she's the one with the list & usually all me money!
Old 01-10-2015, 23:27   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I always take the bag shopping, she's the one with the list & usually all me money!
You have overdosed on the stupidity pills again
Old 02-10-2015, 00:08   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Nah keep it back as a slush fund, to pay any fines they get fer fiddling.

MPs dont get punished for fiddling

they are above the law as proven by how many are still not only not in prison but are still representing this country and telling us how to behave

if they find that they have committed a criminal offence they simple refuse to investigate themselves

i guess when anyone gets caught for fraud and they get asked why they did it they can say because the MPs showed them it was ok to

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:24   #25
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
You have overdosed on the stupidity pills again
What are you on about .... again?
Old 02-10-2015, 06:18   #26
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
And the bag takes stupid......he's the one that carries the full bags around and back to the car!
(Only joking Son)
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 02-10-2015, 16:21   #27
God Member

if they were really bothered about the impact of plastic bags they would do away with them all together at supermarkets etc and use brown bags like they do in america.Yes they may break occasionally as do plastic ones
Studio25 and Morecambe Ex Pat like this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:36   #28
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
if they were really bothered about the impact of plastic bags they would do away with them all together at supermarkets etc and use brown bags like they do in america.Yes they may break occasionally as do plastic ones
Here, here or create a biodegradable alternative.

Beats me while they still allow food packaging which is not recyclable. If they want to reduce the amount of landfill fodder then stop producing it.
Accyexplorer likes this.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 20:48   #29

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

This is the government screwing us again under the PC 'green' values, which quite frankly will have zero 'green' effect. Those reusable ones are fine, I have a couple in my boot which, I always remember I have just as I get to the checkout.

These things are already recyclable and have been for years..used to do the odd shift for a guy to top up my apprenticeship wages some 40 years ago..stuff the bags in one end of the machine...nice little plastic chunks come out of the other, which went back to the bag manufacturer to make more.

Quite a few supermarkets have a recycling box for bags..and with a bit of forward planning by central government and local councils could actually benefit the local populace.....then again I guess its much easier to chuck a 5p surcharge and get a penny a bag from everyone to pay for duck hides, moat cleaning and second homes for MP's...

....and we'll still see trees full of bags in high winds

Who comes up with these ideas, and who passes them as 'clever'?????
Old 03-10-2015, 21:08   #30
Beacon of light

Sooooo, as I said earlier in the thread......bring your bags to put your shopping in....or trolley them to the boot of your car....don't play into their hands by giving the 5p for a bag....that will increase the governmental revenue.....and do nothing for green causes.
Landfill is still going to be full of bags which will take goodness knows how long to break down as we still use bin bags.
It will still be full of plastic bottles that are supposed to be recycled, except many are not(this despite the fact that we have spent time and effort into sorting our rubbish into the categories specified by our own councils).

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..