Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2015, 16:20   #61
Senior Member+

Re: 5p for a carrier bag

For 6d you can get a 'Bag for Life'. They last for ages and when they wear out they give you a new one. Been using them for last two years.
Only problem is you've got to remember to take them with you, soon becomes a habit.
Restless likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-10-2015, 20:30   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
For 6d you can get a 'Bag for Life'. .
in 1965 maybe lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 21:10   #63
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
in 1965 maybe lol
I think maybe you are talking at cross purposes....and I sincerely doubt that you could have got one of those in 1965......1925 maybe, but that would be backyard rates
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 21:30   #64
God Member

i was born just at decimalization and my knowledge of money before that mainly revolves from what i found in my grans button box

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 07-10-2015, 21:31   #65
Beacon of light

Yes, you can tell!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 22:27   #66
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Sainsbury's charge 5p for a stronger bag than the old see threw ones ,Lidls 3p bags have gone up to 5p but the bigger stronger ones are 6p and better value..
Old 08-10-2015, 00:26   #67
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, you can tell!
i do remeber been told that for 6 punce you could take a date out and have money left over for a bag of chips at the end of a night

i suppose when im a grandpa i will have similar tales about a £50 note lol
Eric and Accyexplorer like this.

Old 22-01-2016, 15:56   #68
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
if they were really bothered about the impact of plastic bags they would do away with them all together at supermarkets etc and use brown bags like they do in america.Yes they may break occasionally as do plastic ones
I didn't see any of the supermarkets using brown paper bags when I was over there a few weeks ago. Though I do regret not taking advantage of all the free plastic bags I could have brought back from Walmart while I had the chance, would have kept me in free bags for quite some time.

The check outs where all similar to this:-

No restrictions on how many bags you took, no guilt passed on to customers about killing the World, just get on and enjoy your shopping.

Oh, and 'Have a nice day, y'all come back soon'.

Last edited by Less; 22-01-2016 at 16:00.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 23:32   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

No restrictions on how many bags you took, no guilt passed on to customers about killing the World, just get on and enjoy your shopping.

collected my order from asda today and there was one item the size of a toothbrush in a bag all on its own

naturally they charged for the carrier bag

5p or 6p isnt really worthy of a storm inside to complain but i did muster up a "whats up couldnt fit it in to one of the half empty bags then ?" remark

Last edited by accyman; 22-01-2016 at 23:34.
Old 24-01-2016, 12:04   #70
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Are Asda still doing the bags for life at 6p?
Old 24-01-2016, 13:19   #71
God Member

yes

in fact they dont have the 5p ones on display so you have to ask and wait for a 5p one at the self checkout

where they used to be so customers could easily and quickly access them to pack tehir shopping is now always empty but the 6p ones and the more expensive ones are still under the conveyor belt

Last edited by accyman; 24-01-2016 at 13:21.
Old 25-01-2016, 13:54   #72

Aldi bags are IMO a lot better - stronger & nicer looking.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 13:58   #73
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
Aldi bags are IMO a lot better - stronger & nicer looking.
the handles snap off very easily from the asda ones iv noticed aldis are stronger too

Old 25-01-2016, 15:01   #74
Senior Member+

We bought "For Life" bags in France, a couple of them are around 10 years old now and still fully serviceable - cost was 1E then.
Old 25-01-2016, 19:49   #75
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

Oh, and 'Have a nice day, y'all come back soon'.
Naaah....with your track record at supermarket checkouts Wizz, it's stretching credibility that you be invited back.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..