Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2015, 18:55   #1
God Member

Getting rid of Tories ...

Always a good idea, eh. And its time for you guys to think outside the box ... or your speck of dirt off the coast of Europe Time to think of the Canadian General Election coming up next Monday after a super long campaign. Looks like our tories are down to their core support: that would be the rich and white, middle-class males ... those puritanical assholes opposed to gay rights, abortion, and action on the environment. They also support "tough on crime" stuff (at a time when crime is at an all-time low, and dropping), and a nibbling away at health care. And a new twist in this election ... making the wearing of the niqab an issue. They also oppose higher taxes on the rich, medical marijuana, safe areas for IV drug users to shoot up, extra funding for daycare, higher pensions, smaller class sizes in our schools ... well, you get the picture. The other two parties (NDP ... that's Labour ... and the Liberals ... that's LibDems) and the majority of Canadian voters want the tories out. But with our, and your, idiotic "first past the post" system, the tories could still end up with the most seats, but short of a majority. In this case the other two parties seem determined that tory rule must go. A coalition government might be on the cards.

Now I know that Canadian politics is not every limey's cup of tea. But important issues are at stake. And I know that some of you have opinions on proportional voting, and what you guys call a "hung Parliament."

Another thing that might affect the voting is that the Blue Jays have a playoff game against KC on the day of the election. I suspect that if a British Election were to be held on the same day that England played in a World Cup Semi-Final that it would affect voting.
Turtle likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-10-2015, 20:08   #2

Re: Getting rid of Tories ...

The Tories must go! It's a global thing, not just Canadian. One step at a time.
Eric likes this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 20:10   #3
God Member

getting rid of the tories

hmmm

cant see labours current lot doing it so multiple assassinations perhaps ?

how far outside the box are we talking here i have a plan in mind that relies heavily on a dead pig , lipstick and distraction tactics

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 21:06   #4
Senior Member+

I think Accymans plan might just work

Time for a little musical.

Eric likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 23:14   #5

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Always a good idea, eh. And its time for you guys to think outside the box ... or your speck of dirt off the coast of Europe Time to think of the Canadian General Election coming up next Monday after a super long campaign. Looks like our tories are down to their core support: that would be the rich and white, middle-class males ... those puritanical assholes opposed to gay rights, abortion, and action on the environment. They also support "tough on crime" stuff (at a time when crime is at an all-time low, and dropping), and a nibbling away at health care. And a new twist in this election ... making the wearing of the niqab an issue. They also oppose higher taxes on the rich, medical marijuana, safe areas for IV drug users to shoot up, extra funding for daycare, higher pensions, smaller class sizes in our schools ... well, you get the picture. The other two parties (NDP ... that's Labour ... and the Liberals ... that's LibDems) and the majority of Canadian voters want the tories out. But with our, and your, idiotic "first past the post" system, the tories could still end up with the most seats, but short of a majority. In this case the other two parties seem determined that tory rule must go. A coalition government might be on the cards.

Now I know that Canadian politics is not every limey's cup of tea. But important issues are at stake. And I know that some of you have opinions on proportional voting, and what you guys call a "hung Parliament."

Another thing that might affect the voting is that the Blue Jays have a playoff game against KC on the day of the election. I suspect that if a British Election were to be held on the same day that England played in a World Cup Semi-Final that it would affect voting.
Oi! That frozen waste subsidiary of the USA only exists because of that inglorious speck of dirt

Unfortunately our outdated first past the post system, a totally unfair delineation of electoral boundaries and an excessive amount of MP’s coupled with an ingrained class system where a few imagine they have upward social mobility because they have worked all their lives have a few quid, think they are now middle class and vote tory.

The current 'party' system is heavily skewed and the Tories have to majorly screw up to be voted out.

Oh and football is a proper ‘world’ sport..whereas ice hockey is one of those Olympic things like figure skating and synchronised swimming that you backwood colonials have a decent shot of winning
Eric likes this.
Old 16-10-2015, 15:13   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Oi! That frozen waste subsidiary of the USA only exists because of that inglorious speck of dirt
I see that you have the correct attitude towards the Frogs.

Football ... esp. in the big leagues is a game for girls, played by wussies. Real men play hockey ... or Rugby ... officiated by refs who know what they are doing and rarely [deleted] up.

But, back to the point: The tories over here are now scraping the bottom of the barrel ... or digging in the slime underneath. Harper is cozzying up to Rob Ford ... you know, the fat, drunken, crack smoking, wife beater ... and his almost equally disgusting brother. And all because he desperately needs to win seats in Toronto. Harper's doing the politically limbo ... How low can you go?
Old 16-10-2015, 15:53   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I see that you have the correct attitude towards the Frogs.
I was reading something on the internet about Quebec Province. It was about non French people or immigrants who move there. They said the locals give them a hard time, even when they learned French. Is it really so bad?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 17:03   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I was reading something on the internet about Quebec Province. It was about non French people or immigrants who move there. They said the locals give them a hard time, even when they learned French. Is it really so bad?
i can tell you from personal experience that if you correct a so called french canadian and point out that they are not french they were born in canada so are canadian they get a bit hissy

used to love winding my pal up while we played online and raising the topic used to distract him so he was more easily killed

when he cried about it we would just say it was his french coming out

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 08:50   #9

Watched the Blue Jays on TV last night.They lost 3-6, so they are down 0-2 in the series against the Kansas City Royals.So Eric there will be no clash with your election as it will be farewell the Canadians for another season.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 12:03   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
Watched the Blue Jays on TV last night.They lost 3-6, so they are down 0-2 in the series against the Kansas City Royals.So Eric there will be no clash with your election as it will be farewell the Canadians for another season.
They were down two to zip in the last series, then won three in a row to win it. I'd like the Jays to win; but I'm a Cubbies fan ... those lovable losers from Wrigley Field. They haven't won a Series in 106 years ... cheering for the Cubs is a lot like supporting England And the Cubs are still in it.

But the election looks like it will go right down to the wire ... 20 % of the voters have already cast their ballots in the advance polls. And it could be settled, for once, in BC whose results won't be in until five and a half hours after Newfoundland ... it's a time zone thing, eh. All close ridings are up for grabs. There could be a big turn out for this election.
Old 18-10-2015, 18:52   #11
God Member

Our election is tomorrow ... "To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow." as whatshisface wrote. And it is not about politics which is, as the same guy said, is "a tale/Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury./Signifying nothing"; it's about who we are as a nation. Much more than you guys, we are a multicultural country. All of us ... and if you go back far enough, that includes First Nations ... are from somewhere else. Like me. And like Song, who runs the local convenience store. If the polls are correct, the centre-left Liberals will get the most seats; but what is most important to about 70% of Canadians, Harper has got to go.

And tonite, the Cubs face the Mets in NY. Getting rid of tories and seeing the Cubs in the Series ... 'tis an outcome devoutly to be wish'd.
Turtle likes this.
Old 18-10-2015, 19:52   #12

Yes there are some round the corner from me they was alright to my face and then they stabbed me in the back with the lies they told
cmonstanley likes this.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 16:23   #13
God Member

Well, I voted ... and I'm willing to bet that Turtle voted too ... it's going to be an exciting nite for those who take an interest in who forms the government. Looks like there is going to be a much larger turn out than last time. Polls show that at least seventy per cent of voters want Harper out ... he is as popular, except among die-hard tories, as a fart in a spacesuit.
Turtle and Accyexplorer like this.
Old 20-10-2015, 02:59   #14
God Member

Amazing election ... Liberals look like they are set for a majority government ... and the Jays are ahead 10-4 in the bottom of the eighth ... a good nite for Canada: Harper gone Bye bye Tories.
Turtle likes this.
Old 20-10-2015, 07:37   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

You lucky git, if yeh got rid.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..