Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2015, 23:04   #61
Beacon of light

Re: The C word

You said that Christmas is what you make it.
If you do not like the consumerism, then the answer is in your hands.....don't buy anything other than what you would buy for any other day of the week....turn into work....you might have to walk it as there will be no public transport(some people DO want to celebrate with their family).
Stop worrying so much about what other people do with their lives.
If they are daft enough to buy presents all year round, but still overspend on the plastic, that is their lookout....unless they are asking you to pay the bill that is.
Just get on with living......and perhaps if you really want to make a difference and experience the real meaning of Christmas, maybe you might like to help out at a place where the homeless are given a hot meal, a shower and some new clean clothes.
Maybe, just maybe that would give you a little perspective on your own life. Make you appreciate what you have got!
Less, dotti34 and Michael1954 like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-12-2015, 02:56   #62

Accyexplorer, you ask what people are having for their Christmas fare. IF you have bothered to read the other thread about the happiness of Christmas past and present (or does that not appeal to you?) you will note that as far as my family are concerned our Christmas ‘lunch’ does not follow the usual line. We are a non-traditional family so will NOT be having turkey or goose.

In case you really are interested here goes. My oldest daughter is hosting this year and this is what she intends for the day. Our ‘lunch’ will start at about 1 p.m. with bubbles and nibbles. From then on there will be a continuous supply of finger food, antipasto, and then on to mains about 4 p.m. or whenever which will consist of a variety of fish dishes and meats cooked in various ways with accompaniments, some dishes will no doubt have an ethnic flavour. After that it will be dessert (to suit every tastebud) with a cheese platter option. (I’m getting hungry just thinking about it).

Of course liquid refreshments will be flowing throughout the afternoon but as we are all sleeping over there will be no worries about driving home that day.

In between the finger food and the mains there will be the obligatory cricket match. We have only one rule in this and that is if the one with the bat doesn’t hit some good ones then he or she is ‘out, boring’ and has to ‘walk’. This year there will be no chance of anyone hitting it over the neighbour’s fence as the nearest neighbour is over the hill and far away. (40 acres away to be exact!).

You will also note from that other thread that, other than to the children, we no longer give each other presents – instead we just enjoy each other’s presence.

Sorry for being so long-winded but AccyX you did ask…

…….and as for Mrs. E wanting a goose, I think she already has one!!!!!
Accyexplorer likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:15   #63
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
…….and as for Mrs. E wanting a goose, I think she already has one!!!!!
Goose? Prize Turkey maybe?
Less, cashman, Eric and 2 others like this.
Old 10-12-2015, 22:09   #64

On the subject of food the last time I cooked a traditional Christmas lunch on the actual day was in 1967! It was a stinking hot day, probably about 105 degrees (in the old scale) outside and about 120 in my little kitchen. We didn’t have any air conditioning; don’t think we even had a fan in those days. When the kids were hot they played under the water sprinkler on the lawn.

I was 3 months pregnant with my third child and not having a real good time of it – I wasn’t very well at all. My in-laws and a couple of friends were coming for lunch and I was determined to do the right thing so I cooked a traditional hot roast Christmas lunch (how stupid can we be at times) with all the trimmings.

Somehow I was left to do the clearing up afterwards as everyone else went outside to try to cool off a bit (in 105 degrees – right!) with nice cold drinks. Apparently it wasn’t hot for me, only for them.

I was thinking about how everyone was staying on for the rest of the day and a couple of extras were also due to arrive. They would expect to be fed again later. It suddenly became all too much and I just sat down on the floor and cried…….I made the decision then that that was the last hot Christmas lunch I would cook and if anyone didn’t like it they could get well and truly what I’d done to the turkey.

The following Christmases (until my children grew up and took over hosting), and even after we had air conditioning, I did all the preparations the day before and on Christmas day we had seafood, cold duck (not really that keen on turkey), ham and chicken, and all the things that go with them, buffet-style. It didn’t matter how many came for lunch they just had to grab a plate and tuck in. No one complained – they wouldn’t dare – and the day was enjoyed by everyone, including me.
Old 10-12-2015, 22:23   #65
Beacon of light

Last Christmas we were nomads.....the one before that I didn't cook a thing.....himself and I had words and I withdrew all services. The only thing he got that Christmas was hot, sharp tongue and cold shoulder.....which there were huge portions of.....so it lasted a few days.
I am not sure what the menu will be this year, but suffice it to say it won't make the table groan.....I won't do a starter, or a pud.
I will just do a substantial Sunday roast of some description.....himself will probably finish off his dinner with strawberries and cream, or ice cream.

The media and magazines make people feel like they should do the perfect meal.......they raise the expectations so that those who cannot meet those expectations feel as if they have let the side down.
I have given up pleasing others....if I please myself I know that at least one person is happy!
Old 10-12-2015, 22:54   #66

Mater and I will be having chicken, veg (including sprouts) and Christmas pudding. After, she will have a Babycham while I'll have a couple of Fosters. There's not much on TV (I've looked at the Christmas edition of the Radio Times), although I might watch a Daniel Craig James Bond and also a Jason Bourne film, whilst the sprouts wreak their revenge.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:23   #67
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Ours will be "Germish/Denglish" (that is, it will be in an English style using German ingredients) & yours truly will be master of cremation!
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:02   #68
Beacon of light

It sounds like there are a few households that are sorted......well apart from the actual cooking that is.
Micheal, your meal sounds spot on to me.....and Babycham......haven't had a Babycham for over 30 years. It used to be my drink of choice(I know, very juvenile) but the last time I had it they had changed the recipe for it and it was less sweet. I liked it sweet!

Son, I hope you and yours have a great day.....don't worry about charred grub.....a good wine wahes away the taste of embers.
I hope there will be no one forcing you chaps to wear a Christmas jumper.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:28   #69

Margaret, I remember your blog about the Christmas before last when you went on strike. It was hilarious. Sorry, I guess it wasn't funny at the time for you but the way you wrote it made me have a good old chuckle.

I'll bet your husband has kept quiet since then as to what you should make him for his Christmas lunch. Lesson well learnt.....
Old 11-12-2015, 10:39   #70
Beacon of light

Dotti, I am glad it made you chuckle.......and yes it was funny, looking back.
It is these kind of episodes that make Christmas memorable(although sometimes it is for the wrong reasons).

No,he hasn't kept quiet.......and I know not all men are like the one I hitched my star to,,,,but he doesn't learn easily from past mistakes....he makes them over and over again.
I would trade him in for a quarter of dolly mixtures sometimes......and I don't much like dolly mixtures!
I guess it is too late now to get my money back.
Old 11-12-2015, 18:31   #71
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Prize Turkey
Booby, maybe
Old 11-12-2015, 22:12   #72

When my offspring were still living at home with us we always had a tree but most of the decorations were edible – wrapped chocolates and sweets. Once the day arrived it was open slather and I never had to worry about packing up the decorations afterwards ‘cause there weren’t any left!
Old 11-12-2015, 22:53   #73

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I know full well,Christmas is what you make of it....its personal thing,you either get into the sprit and celebrate it or you don't.
I choose to opt out and not make a big song and dance about it but at the same time good luck to those who are gullible enough to fall for the BS.
Christmas (long past) - down the mecca, grabbing every unattached female for a christmas kiss before falling into a taxi with a hot dog smothered in onions, getting out of bed just as christmas dinner is served, what the heck is a christmas card? Does my Gran really think that a quid and a selection box is a valid gift?

Christmas (recent 'ish' past) - dragging presents from the hiding place in the loft, putting together a 'Wendy House', adding stabilisers to the first 'two-wheeler', screwing the legs into the football table, pushing all the plastic bits of games from their mouldings, trying to get the lego back into the box, the annual Disney VHS xmas release after lunch, rows and rows of xmas cards from mates, kids friends, workmates, people you know because of your kids. Gotta invite my Gran for a few days *sigh*, probably get a quid and a selection box again..

Christmas (present) - What the heck do I buy the wife? Probably get a phone call or skype from the kids..a few cards from workmates, relatives and once a year old friends who will be sending these cards long after I'm dead and gone. The dog will eat more of the turkey than me. Wish my Gran was here.

Christmas (future) - Sat here waiting for my grandson to pick me up, really looking forward to the company...think i'll leave the half dozen cards on the mantle, got some pound coins and selection boxes, saved them up from my pension for the last few months....

Moral...don't analyze...just seize the day and enjoy it for what it is before it's too late
Old 11-12-2015, 23:16   #74
Senior Member+

Thanks for putting things into perspective for me folks,Merry Christmas....

.... I refuse to do that "text talk" malarkey....but lol

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:09   #75

Great post, Guinness. As you say, seize the day and enjoy it. Be thankful that you can, however and with whomever you spend it. Especially love the bits about your Gran.

With our family, like so many others these days, because of their busy lifestyles (work, socially, etc., etc.) and distances involved we find it extremely difficult to all get together at the one time, so when the opportunity arises we make the most of it.

Even so, this Christmas my oldest son and his wife and family won’t be spending the day with the rest of us, mainly because of distance and other arrangements. However, I know we’ll be speaking to them on the day and will be seeing them just prior.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..