Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2016, 00:07   #31
I am Banned

Re: Television Licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
We've come a long way from Holme Moss, when the most exciting show was the train doing London to Brighton in four minutes ... musical interludes were cool, too ... and the test card.
BBC4* just had 2 hour Christmas Special. A two hour reindeer pulled sleigh ride across the frozen wilderness of the Arctic. If I could spell soporific that's how I would describe it.

* That's me in trouble again, another bloody acronym!
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-02-2016, 00:51   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Aye Eric them wurt days, we couldn't ged owt by aerial, ours was by wire from radio rentals, an a bloke was supposed to monitor it from a shed up on Rileys Hill, trouble were, the sod would switch id of tu get a last pint at Woodnook, when they put the relay station up in Haslingden we could get a picture from there, went to Relay and towd em to take their brackets and wires off our house, they refused, so got the ladder owt an a crowbar an ripped the lot of and chucked intut middle o road, then rang them and towd em to shift it. All the neighbours had tuned into Haslingden so we didn't need them any more.
My grandad ... the one who served in the East Lancs; I think I sent his pic ... bought a TV for my gran who was dying of cancer, in her own home of course. She really wanted to see TV. Unfortunately she died a week before Holme Moss started transmitting.

Our living room was packed for the '53 FA Cup final. Still can't figure why it's called the "Matthews Final" when Stan Mortensen had a hat trick.

Funny how nostalgia creeps up on one, now and again.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 00:54   #33
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

How strange I've just been watching the crusades & then shipwreck for two hours on the same channel not a reindeer in sight.
Or is, 2 hour Christmas Special, code for something wacky?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:04   #34
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
* That's me in trouble again, another bloody acronym!
Oh for goodness sake.
Get over yourself. There are some acronyms that cannot be confused with anything else......when did you last see British Broadcasting Company 4 written out in full?
You would have to be from another planet not to know what this acronym meant.
It is those acronyms that could have multiple(and sometimes unsavoury) meanings which are unacceptable.
You know this, but you have had a couple of posts deleted(nothing to do with me,by the way)and now keep harping on the fact by pointing out you have used an acronym.
How very juvenile.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 04-02-2016 at 08:07.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:47   #35
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It is those acronyms that could have multiple(and sometimes unsavoury) meanings which are unacceptable.
You know this, but you have had a couple of posts deleted(nothing to do with me,by the way)and now keep harping on the fact by pointing out you have used an acronym.
How very juvenile.
Aging is inevitable, maturity a choice Margaret.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:19   #36
I am Banned

Quote:
You would have to be from another planet not to know what this acronym meant.
Well world wide web.Black Asian Babes.za have an entirely different meaning for BBC Margaret.
Oops the world has gone full circle, we are back to sticking keyboards.
ewww!

Last edited by Neil; 05-02-2016 at 07:21.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:35   #37
Beacon of light

Quote:
Aging is inevitable, maturity a choice Margaret.
So your choice is obvious then(as demonstrated by the 'sticking keyboard' comment)
As for the last post, it is of little relevance to those who frequent THIS forum, what BBC means to them. It does not affect them.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:54   #38
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Well done taken you less than 24 hours to get back to the dthep I've grown to loath, whatever your reason for putting yourself in a position of idiocy by forcing your acronyms upon us, I hope you get what you deserve.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 14:40   #39
God Member

Quote:
Does that mean that we can no longer refer to the FA Cup?
Old 04-02-2016, 16:02   #40
Beacon of light

Eric, I think you could ask Mick that one.
For me The FA bit denotes Football Association, but for it others it may mean something entirely different. I think that if you used FA without following this with 'cup' then you would get censured, but this acronym is in common usage and most people(you included) know exactly what this means....There is no ambiguity. The problems arise when other meanings are ascribed to acronyms..... Especially those that can be seen to be rude, lewd or otherwise derogatory and insulting.
Old 04-02-2016, 16:18   #41
God Member

Quote:
Eric, I think you could ask Mick that one.
For me The FA bit denotes Football Association, but for it others it may mean something entirely different. I think that if you used FA without following this with 'cup' then you would get censured, but this acronym is in common usage and most people(you included) know exactly what this means....There is no ambiguity. The problems arise when other meanings are ascribed to acronyms..... Especially those that can be seen to be rude, lewd or otherwise derogatory and insulting.
You mean that if I say "the FA Cup is no longer what it used to be; it is now FA" I risk censure.
Old 04-02-2016, 17:43   #42
Beacon of light

possibly, unless you clarified the FA bit as being flipping awful.
But I reckon you are being a bit pedantic.
The rules are there to be interpreted by the moderators, not by me.....we are expected to accept the decision of the moderator, we are not supposed to question the decisions made by the moderator......in the main the moderators only intervene when they have to.
I think that they believe we can( to some degree) self moderate.
Life is full of rules.
Old 04-02-2016, 19:24   #43
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Better to be half right than two thirds wrong, eh Ding?
Noted then disregarded, if you're happy with that then jog on. Oh, and don't forget your shovel either.

Old 04-02-2016, 19:52   #44
Beacon of light

Anyway, even if the FA cup is televised, the licence fee is still daylight robbery(just to get back on thread).
If Auntie Beeb can't make a do then she should stop sending these so called celebs to India to see what retirement is like there.......and she definitely should not be paying to bring these folk back.
Old 04-02-2016, 20:06   #45
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Noted then disregarded, if you're happy with that then jog on. Oh, and don't forget your shovel either.

Great smilie/emoticon Ding, I assume it's you excavating your nasal cavity and beyond, explains a lot.
Just remember what Ignatz Semmelweis's studies teach us.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..