Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2016, 15:17   #91
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: New Bus Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Me too....and I have been saying it for yonks.
Take a close look at the lettering on that pic, obviously cheap letters have been used and they are tarnished already, obviously there will be the odd glitch but bad drainage dripping the shine already?
Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
maybe they used lego

them bricks are really expensive
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-07-2016, 16:17   #92
Senior Member+

And they can't even keep the gutter clean - doesn't look promising for when it gets busy.
Old 17-07-2016, 21:06   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
And they can't even keep the gutter clean - doesn't look promising for when it gets busy.
Don't you mean IF it gets busy?

Everywhere I go it's easier, cheaper and quicker to use a taxi!

But then, what do I know, I've never had several million to squander.
Old 18-07-2016, 18:52   #94
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Don't you mean IF it gets busy?

Everywhere I go it's easier, cheaper and quicker to use a taxi!

But then, what do I know, I've never had several million to squander.
No doubt you are one of the 95% that someone says doesn't know anything about nothing, or should I say nothing about anything?
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 18-07-2016, 20:55   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
No doubt you are one of the 95% that someone says doesn't know anything about nothing, or should I say nothing about anything?
I don't know, I went to a Comprehensive Grammar Skool and with all the real Teachers dying in WWII me and my other 59 classmates couldn't tell talk from mutter.
Old 25-07-2016, 15:51   #96

Walked past brooks club earlier today, buses queuing to get on the section outside there, could it be they haven't got sat nav in their cabs to direct them to the new bus station?

Or could it be that whilst they don't have to go there some drivers are ignoring the super duper space that has removed their human rights?
Old 25-07-2016, 16:41   #97

Give it ten years, I guarantee that they will be knocking it down because of subsidence, not because there was subsidence, the politicians in charge will just call it subsidence, after all we have umpteen mines underground, just because they didn't find this one isn't their fault.
Old 25-07-2016, 16:45   #98
Always EVIL within us

Haven't seen it myself but I have been told by my customers that the toilets in Peel St. are now CLOSED! Perhaps Lancsdave can confirm this?

Moving on to the new bus station, the other day, walking through this wonderful building, I was slightly amused by a hand and arm blindly reaching through the chrome bars[B] from the inside[/B trying vainly to put a 20p piece into the tiny slot.]

It was a dad and young child in a buggy. They had walked past the little green button that opens the barrier without noticing it (It IS set rather far back from the actual barrier) and their only hope of escaping was to insert another 20p into the unsighted slot

Naturally, I informed dad that he should go back and press the green button - - and made good use of the open barrier myself

As for the decline of Accrington, councillors should approach the bus company owners and ask them!! I can't and won't discuss figures but there is already a sharp decline in people using buses for shopping in Accrington, not only with the company I work for but also the likes of Pilkies. Many of our customers (pensioners) that used to use the bus almost on a daily basis now appear perhaps 2 or 3 times a week If this continues, I can see more cuts in services as the council (and nationally) have removed subsidies which means that routes that do not make a profit are going to be dropped
Old 25-07-2016, 17:56   #99
Beacon of light

I am not surprised by what you are saying Busman.
Some of the people who used to go into town every day have stopped doing so.
I know this is crazy, but I have not used the bus since the bus station opened......and I used to go into town or home from town by bus about three times per week.
I do not WANT to use the bus station.
Why are there no bus stop around the town? The fact that the bus station is down Union ST. has cut off the life blood to the Abbey St/Little Blackburn Rd side of town.....and although I have no mobility problems,for those who have, it is a bit of a hike from the GPO (where we get the pension) down to the bus station.
The routes should be formulated to take in this side of the town..and there should be intermediate stops around the town
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 19:07   #100
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I have used it twice since it opened, and i used to go down acc virtually daily, with the damage H.B.C. has done to our town oer many years, i now have little interest in going down. I feel genuinely sorry for Tradespeople and the like, and hope they manage to survive, somehow doubt if many will.
Old 25-07-2016, 21:35   #101
Full Member+

I went to Accrington last Friday and there were only about 2 stalls on the Peel Street side of the market. How sad when you think what the old open market was like. People came from all over to it then. I used to hate Tuesdays and Fridays when I was at Peel Park as I could not get on a bus home on those days as they were already full when they got to Alice Street both the Padiham and Burnley ones. Strange how some towns still have a thriving market and most others have died a death.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 18:08   #102
Beacon of light

I have been told by a market trader, that from September the outside market will be closed on Mondays and Wednesdays.
Both days are flea markets, the Monday one is very low key...but the Wednesday one seems busier than proper market days.

Are the powers that be actively working to kill off the town, because that is what it seems like?
I am beginning to have a similar loathing for Accrington as I have for Blackburn.....there just seems to be no point at all in going into town.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 27-07-2016, 12:20   #103
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am not surprised by what you are saying Busman.
Some of the people who used to go into town every day have stopped doing so.
I know this is crazy, but I have not used the bus since the bus station opened......and I used to go into town or home from town by bus about three times per week.
I do not WANT to use the bus station.
Why are there no bus stop around the town? The fact that the bus station is down Union ST. has cut off the life blood to the Abbey St/Little Blackburn Rd side of town.....and although I have no mobility problems,for those who have, it is a bit of a hike from the GPO (where we get the pension) down to the bus station.
The routes should be formulated to take in this side of the town..and there should be intermediate stops around the town
Try being a little more positive, the lovely walk from the post office to our grand new bus station passes by many shops you may wish to use and help the shop keepers of Accrington.

Why are so many people negative so often? Lets try and have a warm, rosy and positive outlook on things.
Old 27-07-2016, 12:23   #104
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Try being a little more positive, the lovely walk from the post office to our grand new bus station passes by many shops you may wish to use and help the shop keepers of Accrington.

Why are so many people negative so often? Lets try and have a warm, rosy and positive outlook on things.
easy for you to say, neil yeh weren't born here.
Old 27-07-2016, 12:45   #105
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Neil it would be easier to have a positive attitude if what you said were true.

Mannings in Peel St.....a chip shop and two coffee shops in Infant St..oh yes and a carpet shop that is in the process of closing down.
Wilko's isn't worth much..the market is dire.....a couple of pound shops and a miserable clothes shop on Broadway..a couple of mobile phone shops(don't use a mobile so they hold zero interest for me.
Just where might these nice shops you are talking about, be situated?

As I said the people responsible for the running of this town...for promoting it are doing a pretty hapless job of it...and I can find no real reason that I would actually LIKE to be walking around Accrington Town centre.

The place is dead on its feet...and a shiny new bus station will do nothing at all to remedy this..it won't bring folk into town(there is nothing at all to bring people here)..it will just ferry them away
cashman and maxthecollie like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..