Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2016, 15:35   #46
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: M&M Bankruptcy

<b><font color="Blue">Thank you all that have supported M&M on this thread. The company HAS cut corners simply to survive running the risk of being immediately being taken off the road by the all-powerful Ministry of Transport.<br />
<br />
Did you know that at ANY time, they could check business accounts and if the owner didn't have £3,000? (Not totally sure of the amount but I'm close) in the bank for <b><u>EACH</u></b> bus, they could be fined or have their Operators licenses rescinded?<br />
<br />
That EVERY bus HAS to have the equivalent of an MoT every 6 weeks by an independent mechanic? One day late and points are deducted on their "Traffic light system" GREEN for the good'uns, AMBER for those that need watching and RED for the cowboys. (or those that can't keep up with the costs)<br />
<br />
Up until recently, the council encouraged companies to serve communities that were "non-profitable" by paying them for the service by giving subsidies. A company I worked for 8 years back had a local run which had an average of 50 passes a day plus around £4-00 in cash. This would have generated around £25-00 per day. Deduct wages, maintenance costs and the cost of the vehicle which was bought especially - - - and what have you left without subsidies? DEBT!! Small private commercial companies just cannot absorb these costs.<br />
<br />
M&M were a "local" company that tried it's best but ultimately was beaten by the system! (Did you know that the "skilled" drivers of M&M were on the minimum wage of £7.20???) <br />
<br />
Like Harry, I have been employed by Pilkingtons. I had my doubts, Pilkies had a reputation for slapdash maintenance due to action from the Ministry of Transport - - - but I have found that they are very conscious of public safety and have found that happy medium of serving the community and making a small profit.<br />
<br />
Support the local companies, as Tesco's say: Every little helps <br />
<br />
</font></b>

Don't know what went wrong was copying this post when I answered above.
Never mind, I'll get the hang of it one day.
😂
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-10-2016, 16:31   #47
Senior Member+

I was trying to figure out what that had to do with buying bus drivers model trains. Long day

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Less likes this.
Old 04-10-2016, 19:04   #48
I am Banned

I'm a bit puzzled about all this free parking, where to park for the best, which shops will suffer and which won't, I'm scrattin me nut about it, dudnt mek sense. Went to tosco for dum bread & milk, car park wur dammed near full, just 3 disabled spaces left, I thought oh no an a gonna ave to shuffle round wi a trolley, gus up int lift, good got a key to a batmobeel, trundled round, and thowt wur the f are they, if ther wur 30 shoppers al eat mi at, how many cars downstairs hell fire. So paid fu mi goods, down int lift put stuff on boot an watched fur a bit, folk coming and going across th paved area between tosco an station, all of em carrying shoppng bags, even one mon on a lecky scooter, why all the commotion about moving buses an parkin places. ?.

Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 00:42   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
That is sad.
You are right Rob, the buses were old and rickety, but the drivers were always pleasant and helpful and they were always reliable.
Couldn't agree more, the drivers are really nice and reliable
johncosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 15:46   #50
Senior Member+

Was this the straw that helped to brake the camels back?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.acc...?client=safari

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 20:39   #51

I hope the insurance company carries out a better investigation than the police.
Less likes this.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 15:59   #52
Senior Member+

I think I read Iqbal, the owner, comments on the police Facebook site and he said he wasn't insured.
Old 04-01-2017, 16:16   #53
Senior Member+

The police site I mentioned above also showed a long video clip from CCTV of the kids crashing the buses.
Old 04-01-2017, 17:06   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I think I read Iqbal, the owner, comments on the police Facebook site and he said he wasn't insured.
Even if he was insured,I don't think they'd pay out due to negligence of leaving the keys to one of the buses accessible.
I hope they find and punish the offenders as soon as,I won't hold my breath though.

password--Accyweb
Old 04-01-2017, 18:58   #55
Senior Member+

Apprantly,Two lads have handed themselves into police.

password--Accyweb
Old 03-02-2017, 13:39   #56
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Even if he was insured,I don't think they'd pay out due to negligence of leaving the keys to one of the buses accessible.
I hope they find and punish the offenders as soon as,I won't hold my breath though.
The bus being driven in the video clip doesn't have ignition keys, electronics including "start" are operated by push buttons only. Also, door locks are not fitted to these buses.

Does anyone know the outcome of the 2 lads that "turned themselves in?"
Old 03-02-2017, 18:09   #57
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Might sound like a daft question but how is the driver of a bus like that supposed to make his bus safe when he needs to make a toilet visit?
Old 04-02-2017, 15:04   #58
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Might sound like a daft question but how is the driver of a bus like that supposed to make his bus safe when he needs to make a toilet visit?
Almost every occasion that I "Need to go" I wait until at least one of my passengers arrive and leave the bus in their care. (Out of 400 regulars, there are only two that I DON'T trust implicitly)
On the rare occasion I have to leave the bus with no one in attendance I have to rely on ignorance. Three buttons have to be pushed in sequence and the gear shift in "Park" There are a couple of other safeguards which I won't mention but YES, anyone with a small knowledge of driving a vehicle would sort it out in a couple of minutes - but driving 40ft of bus around any corner without experience would almost certainly end up with bent metal

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..