Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2016, 17:36   #76
God Member

Re: Bulgaria bans full-face Islamic veil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I was worried about this until you said they brewed their own beer, there, is a society I would allow to look after me.
They send their kids to technical college to learn the trades. Every colony has its own carpenters, brickies, plumbers, electricians, mechanics, And ... get this ... they have their own cooperThis is a trade passed down from generation to generation. Karl had a couple of barrels in his basement. I once asked how much they held. "Enough" he said, "and when they are empty, I fill them again."
Less and Margaret Pilkington like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-10-2016, 17:52   #77
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
They send their kids to technical college to learn the trades. Every colony has its own carpenters, brickies, plumbers, electricians, mechanics, And ... get this ... they have their own cooperThis is a trade passed down from generation to generation. Karl had a couple of barrels in his basement. I once asked how much they held. "Enough" he said, "and when they are empty, I fill them again."
Not a problem, I live in a community of brown voiced people, most of the time I have no problem, tonight and lets face it, it's only early just gone half six, still daylight, walking past a group of teenage brown faces minding my own business one of them put his foot out and deliberately tried to trip me up, Oh how his friends laughed, until I asked, do you really find that funny?
Well yes, actually they confessed to finding it funny, how long do we put up with such behaviour?

How long before I or any other white person can't walk passed my neighbours son's without some bully boy thinking he's clever and making this a getto with no go rights for whites?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 17:58   #78
Beacon of light

I guess it was the beer that swung it Eric
Anyway, thank you....I am wiser now because of your post(you can always find something positive on Accyweb...if you are prepared to look).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 18:01   #79
Beacon of light

Less, that scenario is already a reality in parts of Nelson(according to a midwife friend of mine).
Old 03-10-2016, 18:05   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Less, that scenario is already a reality in parts of Nelson(according to a midwife friend of mine).
Well I don't want it around here.

I live with them, I put up with them, so long as they and theirs leave me alone, I will do similar.

By the way, isn't that disgraceful?
Old 03-10-2016, 18:42   #81

Of course, such people can be forgiven when you don't have to live amongst them, after all it's their way.
Of my Asian neighbours about three will say hello, but only if they are on their own and there are no witnesses to their being polite, if I meet them when they are with someone else, no eye contact and a slight shrug of the shoulder to sort of say don't speak to me.
It's very easy to call folk racist, this is the treatment I get every day, I don't want them picked on, I don't want my white neighbours picked on, I, DON'T WANT TO BE PICKED ON.

Friendly, well I'm sorry, I've been surrounded for nearly 10 years, no, they ain't friendly, they don't want to mix, if anything, they would love me to move so they can move in one of their own.

Prejudiced? I try not to be, but they make it very, very difficult.

Last edited by Less; 03-10-2016 at 18:44.
Old 03-10-2016, 19:06   #82
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Riled with Dave? I don't think so!
I'd agree with that Mike, we may not always agree on matters & furthermore have different approaches to a subject, but being "riled" isn't even in the same room, healthy discussion & debate I'd say.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:24   #83
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I'd agree with that Mike, we may not always agree on matters & furthermore have different approaches to a subject, but being "riled" isn't even in the same room, healthy discussion & debate I'd say.

Very true D,even though I find some of the comments on here 'beyond ridiculous',I never get emotional.

Now,I have no doubt some women are coerced to cover up rather than covering up through choice (that's oppression) but denying folk the right to wear what they like (without good reason) is equally oppressive in my book.....kinda reminds me of how the certain minority's were treated in Germany in the 30s.

Perhaps it's because I'm one chromosome away from a special parking sticker,but I don't think you can police folks clothes without good reason and folk finding them intimidating or offensive isn't good enough imo.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:05   #84
Beacon of light

Well Jason, I am sorry that you consider that feeling intimidated and offended not a good enough reason to ban the covering of the face.
If it is unacceptable to go into a bank with your face covered( by a motorbike helmet, a balaclava or a hoodie) then it is unacceptable for a reason. That reason is that you cannot be recognised and if you perpetrate a crime or an offence, then you cannot be traced.
Being unacceptable in a bank means that it is unacceptable in the street too.

The wearing of the face covering is oppression of women and it is disrespectful to men because it implies that the women's faces are so beautiful that the men of the community will be unable to control their carnal desires.
The reality may be far different.
But the point you miss is that these women are separating themselves from their local community. They do not desire to integrate, they have chosen to adopt this country, yet do not want to be a part of it. Many of them do not speak english( though they might understand it). Their face covering means that we are never ever going to strike up a conversation( even if it were possible) they have placed a barrier in the way of any likelihood of social interaction and in doing so they raise suspicions about themselves and their Asian community.
I thought you had retired from this thread anyway.
Jim Procter likes this.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:10   #85
Senior Member+

You of all folk know how it is M,when you say your retiring from a thread then as more comments and info comes forward you have a urge to comment

I'm sorry you find folk who wear a niqab intimidating and offensive,what 'exactly' are you scared of?

Maybe it's because my IQ is lower than 10 ,but it seems a little ludicrous to suggest that these women who are out in the world on a daily basis (interacting with society) don't want to interact with society.

Also,if these women can communicate in their homes,society etc while they wear a niqab then your argument that niqab is a barrier to communication holds little water.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:59   #86
Beacon of light

Jason, in the home they are not required to wear the full face veil.
And when you say that they are out in the world interacting....they are not interacting at all.
You cannot interact with someone if you can't see their facial expression.
Nowhere have I said I am 'scared'....I have said I feel intimidated, compromised if you like.
There is a subtle difference.
I have also said that I find it offensive. You try going to Saudi or one of the Arab States and wear a t shirt with what they see as an offensive slogan or logo and see what happens.
It is just the same here, they are making no allowances for the culture in this country....and that, to me is offensive and disrespectful to the country in which they have CHOSEN to live.
As Less said 'when in Rome'.

When I retire from a thread I do my best to stick to my decision.....and yes I DO sometimes fall by the wayside, but you have added nothing to your earlier opinions.
Jim Procter likes this.
Old 04-10-2016, 13:37   #87
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1178172]

Yes, Eric. Of course there are bigger more serious problems in the world. But sometimes starting little allows you to move onto bigger things.[/QUOTEg

Now this is where we disagree. I'm in favour of starting at the other end. Confront the big problems; solve them; and the frippery on the periphery (I like that ... has an almost poetic tone) will just go away. If one is confronted by a Tiger tank, one should not waste time pondering the offensive symbolism of the swastika painted on it's side; one should be more concerned with the Krupp 88mm tracking you down.

I believe that militant Islam ... no, let's be completely honest and say Islam in general, is one of the greatest threats to all we hold dear, all that our fathers and grandfathers fought and died for: freedom, individual rights, tolerance, the rule of law ... and a whole bunch of others that you can probably come up with I just don't believe that passing illegal laws about how people dress is the answer. Tinkering with the constitutional rights of citizens is dangerous. If you can't see this, please ignore this post.

And before anyone asks "Well, what would you do?", here is one suggestion. Wipe out ISIS fighters. Shoot, napalm, bomb the crap out of them whenever the poke their heads above a sand dune. Forget about collateral damage. I seem to remember that the RAF, RCAF, and USAF were not all that concerned with civilian casualties in WW2. And allow our military personnel to act under the same "rules of engagement" that the Russians have ... I'd better quit before the accusations of racism start.

By the way Margaret, if you are ever lucky enough to be invited to a meal on a Hutterite colony, you will be served no "foreign muck." All the food is home grown, and home cooked.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 15:01   #88
Beacon of light

Eric, I have to say that your observations of the danger of ISIS and Islam in general are very succinct.
Your solution is one that the world will not take(I am not saying it is the wrong solution, just that there is no power in the world that will address this danger.)
No, tinkering with peripheral rights is not the way to deal with it.
It should not be necessary to deal with something like a face veil.
These women should grab every freedom to express themselves that is offered.they have been subjugated for centuries and wearing the face veil shows that this is still the case.

Now Jason may tell you that this is what they are doing when they CHOOSE to wear a face veil. But that is rubbish....these women are, from the age of toddlers, being instilled with false values by the men in their communities and when they are of an age to CHOOSE, there is pressure exerted on them from the women, their peers,to follow this cultural tradition.
IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ISLAM OR BEING MUSLIM.
It is offensive to all women and disrespectful to men as it implies that they cannot control their carnal desires.
Now on that note, I have said everything I want to say on this topic( in some cases, more than once, in different ways to try and get my opinion over. It IS only my opinion, but I stick by it)so I will bow out of this thread and unlike Jason, I will not post to it again.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 04-10-2016 at 15:03.
Old 04-10-2016, 15:09   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Very true D,even though I find some of the comments on here 'beyond ridiculous'
How very strange, I thought you just posted 'beyond ridiculous', I didn't actually think you ever read what you posted.
Old 04-10-2016, 19:54   #90
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You try going to Saudi or one of the Arab States and wear a t shirt with what they see as an offensive slogan or logo and see what happens.
Slogan or logo is immaterial, being female is the issue. Long story short, after the shooting was over in 91, we teamed up with some American troops (2 were females) all in our respective uniforms, touring the Bazaars of "Ows-yer-boil!" (Al Jubail), souvenir shopping, decided to go for a Coffee in the Mall. Confronted by "Religious Police", the American service women, weren't allowed into the inner part of the Cafe with the tables & chairs, they'd have to stay outside with the Burqa wearing chattels, but us "Men" could go in. needless to say we didn't bother, we left with our sisters in arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
here is one suggestion. Wipe out ISIS fighters. Shoot, napalm, bomb the crap out of them whenever the poke their heads above a sand dune.
Couldn't agree more mate, but sadly we've been neutered & emasculated since those days. To many whiny, hand wringing, self loathing liberal leftards screeching foul & shouting down any sign of patriotism as vile Nazi-xenophobic-racist-fascist -istest ad nausea, aided & abetted by successive governments .... and until that particular festering pus filled affliction is scourged, we'll not be able to concentrate on curing the other cancers afflicting our society.

Chunter done!
Margaret Pilkington and Eric like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..