Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-10-2016, 20:12   #31
I am Banned

Re: Funeral Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Retlaw that was a real DIY job.
There are many kinds of funeral which do not cost a lot of money and if the deceased wants to be cremated then spending a lot on the box and the knobs and do dads makes no sense at all.Death is like life...it can be expensive(if you can afford it then that's OK)but it can also be done on a shoe string you just have to put more time/effort into the shoestring jobby......and that is something that many people do not have..time.
Margaret, I've often wondered, if all the boxes really get burnt, and a back hander or two in the right hands, the box could be picked up when no ones about and used again, who would notice hearses going in an out of cemeteries. I think some if not all of these funeral places rip us off with their exhorbitant prices, and I'd like to see a real cost sheet, I've never heard of one going bankrupt, an their never gong to be out of work.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-10-2016, 20:15   #32
God Member

Quote:
I don't want to be consigned for eternity in the afterlife as a yorkshire pudden.
Then folks will pelt you with black puddings.

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 20:20   #33
Beacon of light

Well, when my Ma in law died we got an itemised bill with all the costs outlined.
Her funeral was simple.....and I do not recall it costing a fortune.
Not everyone could do as you did.....especially for a dad. Grief can make us inept.
You are right that undertakers don't go broke, and hardly ever go out of business, but it is a business that not everyone could do.....and most of us would prefer that someone less emotionally involved deals with the nuts and bolts of the process. It takes away some of the stress of such an event.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 22:12   #34
Senior Member+

What most people do with a funeral is they just pick the undertaker and have to accept his price, but if you ask the price from a few undertakers you will find the price will drop dramatically.
Also as one who worked at the crematorium for a number of years I can say that the practices suggested never happen and the whole situation is treated with the utmost respect, and anyone who suggests any different is talking out of an orifice not designed for conversation.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 08:28   #35
Beacon of light

Dave, I somehow thought that the people who work at that job at the Crem would be more honest than that. I could not see them 'recycling' coffins.
It would be against the morals of most people.....And it isn't like something like that can be done by just one person.
I have respect for those who do this job....the funeral directors and also those who work at cemeteries and crems. That kind of job would get me down. It would be difficult to find any joy in doing it.
davemac likes this.
Old 29-10-2016, 09:57   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Dave, I somehow thought that the people who work at that job at the Crem would be more honest than that. I could not see them 'recycling' coffins.
It would be against the morals of most people.....And it isn't like something like that can be done by just one person.
I have respect for those who do this job....the funeral directors and also those who work at cemeteries and crems. That kind of job would get me down. It would be difficult to find any joy in doing it.
Oh i dont know, i could get a bit of pleasure burning Yorkies @ Dingles.
Old 29-10-2016, 10:12   #37
Beacon of light

You might Cashy, but I know you would wait until the rallies were at the wake before rubbing your hands.....and you wouldn't try to make a fast buck by recycling coffins.
Old 29-10-2016, 10:14   #38
Senior Member+

Thanks Mrs P. its these reports from people who haven't a clue how things are who fuel the rumors that link into peoples fears of the whole situation. I used to offer a walk around the facility for those who wanted to know how things worked, and after that they were more at peace with the process. But to suggest I am possibly taking a "back hander" to remove a body from the coffin is offensive to me, or in fact that any underhand process is taking place.
Less likes this.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 10:57   #39
God Member

My choice -
Direct disposal | The Good Funeral Guide

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 12:06   #40
Beacon of light

That is good information Margaret.
I have never heard of this, but It will fit the bill for many people.
If relatives want something formal to celebrate the life of the deceased then it can be organised after the event....and it doesn't have to involve religion.

There has(I think) always been the human desire to ritualise the ending of a life, a tying up of the loose ends so to speak. So funerals will still continue, it is good to know that you don't have to have one though.
Old 29-10-2016, 12:25   #41
Full Member+

My mum always said she didn't care what we did with her when she dies as long as we were right with her while she lived. She said we could put her in the dustbin. She dies on a Wednesday and the following Monday the bin men did not empty her bin for the first time ever. I think that would have tickled her. We said they must have known what she said and thought it would be too heavy that week. They never missed it again. Strange,
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 12:38   #42
Senior Member+

I know it's a little premature (not to mention dangerous),but this topic has got me thinking...what are my choices? Hmmm

For me,I'd like to think my body or parts of have helped give someone a chance of life so I'm swayed towards donating it....

...Or I could always get my remarkable example of the human form embalmed (with my finger to my lips) then I could be placed on the Clayton bus route....Day after day I would sit there rocking back and forth,like a model for the unwritten rule of 'No talking on public transport' that is allegedly broken by the older generation in that neck of the woods.

Whatever the scenario,having no religious views,I don't want a "God botherer" who under different circumstances could be given a restricted holiday for talking to his imaginary comrade in the sky.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 12:49   #43
Beacon of light

well now you know you do not have to have a 'god botherer' to say any words over you...but that has been so for a very long time. There have been humanists and woodland burials for a long time(with the righ permission and observed rules for disposal of course).
I don't really like to countenance seeing you on the Clayton bus with your finger to your lips.
I don't reckon you would rock about much, but we(the travelling public) might have to step over you. the brakes on those new buses are fearsome and I would bet you'd spend most of your time on the floor
Old 29-10-2016, 14:50   #44
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
I don't reckon you would rock about much, but we(the travelling public) might have to step over you. the brakes on those new buses are fearsome and I would bet you'd spend most of your time on the floor
Aye well, if young fella me lad face plants on the bus at least there'll be a bonus bike rack!
Old 29-10-2016, 15:30   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
What most people do with a funeral is they just pick the undertaker and have to accept his price, but if you ask the price from a few undertakers you will find the price will drop dramatically.
Also as one who worked at the crematorium for a number of years I can say that the practices suggested never happen and the whole situation is treated with the utmost respect, and anyone who suggests any different is talking out of an orifice not designed for conversation.
I too have worked in the back of the crematory and fully back what Dave Mac has said
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..