Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2016, 18:32   #61
Full Member+

Re: Greater Accrington Heroes.

Walter, when you are no longer able to supply the information which has been painstakingly gathered over the years, the only source of reference will be the website you loathe so much. Visitors will assume that the information contained on there is accurate and will mislead researchers for years to come.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2016, 18:37   #62
Beacon of light

That angel is still there. If you followed her finger to find the bog you would have to pee in the canal....But yes, you are right. He had earned the right to poke fun at the statue...and anyway you (even then) would be wise enough to know that he was jesting.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 18:38   #63
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
Walter, when you are no longer able to supply the information which has been painstakingly gathered over the years, the only source of reference will be the website you loathe so much. Visitors will assume that the information contained on there is accurate and will mislead researchers for years to come.
And that is a shame, but not Walters problem.(and I mean that in the most respectful way)
Eric, odders and Morecambe Ex Pat like this.
Old 07-11-2016, 18:45   #64
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
That angel is still there. If you followed her finger to find the bog you would have to pee in the canal....But yes, you are right. He had earned the right to poke fun at the statue...and anyway you (even then) would be wise enough to know that he was jesting.
Hey! I've peed in the cut many a time and oft.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 19:34   #65
Beacon of light

Now, why does that not surprise me Eric
Eric likes this.
Old 07-11-2016, 19:59   #66
Full Member+

Hello Walter,
Would you mind looking this up for me? Thomas James Lingard was my G.Grandad's brother. I have conflicting info saying he was in the 12th bn East Lancs AND the 11th bn. Can you clear this up?
Thanks.
Steve
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 22:20   #67
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Hello Walter,
Would you mind looking this up for me? Thomas James Lingard was my G.Grandad's brother. I have conflicting info saying he was in the 12th bn East Lancs AND the 11th bn. Can you clear this up?
Thanks.
Steve
Hi Steve.
Thomas James Lingard enlisted 19th Sept 1914, age 19/6, into the 11th East Lancs as Pte. 15512.
N.O.K. Emily Walker (mother) 109 Charter St.
As a result of a medical condition he was transferred to R.Coy 12th East Lancs.
Thomas was then discharged not fit for Military or light duties.

Discharged at Chadderton Camp 9-10-1915.
S.W.B. 103283. Awarded a gratuity of £25.

What was his brothers name, did he serve.

Last edited by Retlaw; 07-11-2016 at 22:26.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:36   #68
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Hello Walter,
Thanks.
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Hi Steve.
Thomas James Lingard enlisted 19th Sept 1914, age 19/6, into the 11th East Lancs as Pte. 15512.

And the above is a classic example of how it works. Furthermore I've read on these pages, that many people looking for leads surfing the net are successful by following a link to this website & then pointed towards, Walter & his research.
cashman likes this.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 08-11-2016 at 12:40.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 13:30   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Maybe he wasn't poking fun. Maybe it was just wise parenting ... or grandparenting. We most of us know what a pain in the ass toddlers are ... disgusting sub-humans (in today's jargon "pre-humans") with their snotty noses and constant questions. Just imagine what would have happened if he had said: "The angel is pointing the way to heaven." And the questions that would have followed.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 14:10   #70
Beacon of light

Yes, you could be right, but I would hazard a guess that even way back then. You were an inquisitive boy. Yes,it may have provoked more questions. Questions that perhaps he did not want to go into.
My grandfather fought in WW1 and even when he had had a few gills(he couldn't hold ale) he could not be drawn on any of the things he saw or experienced. He used to say 'that's for me to know and thee to wonder about'.

As children we didn't need to be saddled with this information. (That does not mean we should ever forget.)
Eric likes this.
Old 08-11-2016, 19:08   #71
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Hi Steve.

Thanks for that.
His brother (my G Granddad) was born in 1901 so was too young to join up. Thomas was born in 1898 so he was only 16.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 19:41   #72
I am Banned

Quote:
Thanks for that.
His brother (my G Granddad) was born in 1901 so was too young to join up. Thomas was born in 1898 so he was only 16.
Hi Steve.
Your Great Uncle, was just many of the young lads round here who enlisted under age. many were copped by there parents and they'd to prove it with a birth certificate, many got away with it by a false name or enlisting elswhere, & giving a false adddress.
Can you blame them. starting work under the age of 12, only Sunday's off, and looking round their work place, seeing men in their late 30's looking nearer 60. Many of these young lads ended up wounded well before their 17th birthday, only then was their true age revealed, they were then posted to base until 18, they could then be posted to any regiment any where from Ireland to Mesop.

steve2qec likes this.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:14   #73
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
And the above is a classic example of how it works. Furthermore I've read on these pages, that many people looking for leads surfing the net are successful by following a link to this website & then pointed towards, Walter & his research.
We are well aware how it works and Walter and his personal archive has proved time and time again to be a valuable resource for anyone doing research. Sadly this resource will cease to be available when Walter is unable to respond to enquiries.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:15   #74
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
We are well aware how it works and Walter and his personal archive has proved time and time again to be a valuable resource for anyone doing research. Sadly this resource will cease to be available when Walter is unable to respond to enquiries.
I doubt that very much, but you obviously know best.
Old 09-11-2016, 23:06   #75
I am Banned

Just finished ruutin thro my Greater Accrington Heroes for them as won a medal, sumat our Rusty, the eldest doughter wanted tu know.

234 won a medal, of them 40 got the D.C.M. 17 of them got the M.M. as well, and 1 man got the D.C.M. the M.M. and a bar to his M.M. Most of em didn't like talking about what they did.
Now them are lads you don't argue with.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..