Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2017, 06:58   #61
Beacon of light

Re: Smart Meters

I had a phone call yesterday from my energy supplier to try to induce me into having one of these meters.
When I politely, but firmly declined the lady told me that the government was going to make them compulsory by 2020.

'Are you sure about that?' I asked her.
Well, she hummed and aahed for a couple of minutes and said that this was what she had been told to tell me.
Wasn't it a good job I had been reading an article in the Daily Telegraph.
One which said that the uptake of these monitors has been 'disappointing'...so much so that the government has changed its stance to say that every household will be 'offered' a smart meter by 2020...there were no plans to make them compulsory.
I told her that she was using misleading information to try to get people to take one of these.
I asked her to remove me from the calling list AND the mailing list....so I guess I will get another phone call, oh....sometime next week!
monkey hanger likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-08-2017, 07:18   #62

If you don't want a meter, you don't have to have one. It is not compulsory
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:48   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Seems to me like they will try anything to get people to agree to these meters!!even downright lying.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:21   #64
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilleluk View Post
If you don't want a meter, you don't have to have one. It is not compulsory
I know that, but the woman on the phone seemed to be hoping that I didn't know.
It was strange because just a little earlier yesterday I was reading the article in the Daily Telegraph.

Six reasons to say no to a smart meter
Old 03-08-2017, 10:16   #65
Senior Member+

There was an article on smart meters last night on watchdog re fires. When it does eventually happen ask the installer for his credentials. What was brought up last night was that the "tails" i.e. the cables going to the meter have to be connected tightly.There was an instance where they were loose.If there is a loose connection there is a potential to spark and cause a fire . When eventually I get them I will personally check the gas and electrical connections. The problem is that the installers are told to do so many in a day and if they are rushing there could be loose connections.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:46   #66
God Member

seems that the one,s who don,t get these meters are smart.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:02   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
seems that the one,s who don,t get these meters are smart.
We have refused em a few times when asked, due simply to people we know having got em and were far from happy,
Old 03-08-2017, 12:35   #68
Beacon of light

I will have a smart meter/TV/phone when these said items are smart enough to make the bed, do the dusting,the washing, the ironing and then put everything away...until then I won't have anything with the prefix'smart'.
Old 03-08-2017, 14:27   #69

We have one provider for gas and electricity, They rang us about two months ago, this is how the conversation went.

Hello...me
Scottish gas about you're smart meter, when can we come to fit it, only takes about an hour
Smart Meter, never asked for one,

SG. You must have you're on our list.
Do not want or need one. Please listen, I must have had a bad turn on the day I asked for one. when was it?
SG. It doesn't say, but your account would not be on here unless you had called. It's a good thing to have, you can see how much energy you are using per day, and you won't have a shock when you bill comes in.
SHOCK, the only shock I have had today is that I might have to go to the Doctor for memory loss. Please do not ring again.
Old 03-08-2017, 15:21   #70
Beacon of light

There are various estimates as to how much this roll out is costing...I have seen figures which state it is 11billion...and others that say 14 billion...now I know that the government is not footing the whole bill, but that the money is being taken from customers (whther they have one of these devices or not) so we are all paying a stupid amount for something that is of doubtful value...that may be a health hazard, a fire hazard and that will just lead to surveillance in our own homes...and supplies which could be terminated remotely either by the supplier or by malevolent hackers.
Thanks, but no thanks.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 03-08-2017, 15:27   #71

There is another point here as well, if you change provider, it is highly likely hat there meter is not compatible with the new one. Shock horror another new meter has to be installed. No Thanks
Old 03-08-2017, 16:14   #72
Full Member+

Well as I said initially they are not that 'smart' as they would not work in my house and I am sure there are hundreds of other houses where that is the case. I shall not bother with one .
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 13:21   #73
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

well this thread was started 4.years ago i still aint got one.
Old 13-12-2021, 14:43   #74
Beacon of light

Me neither….and I still don’t want one.
cashman likes this.
Old 16-12-2021, 07:28   #75
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
the lady told me that the government was going to make them compulsory by 2020.

well i guess that never happened

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..