Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should The Lords Be Abolished?
Scrap the house of lords 18 90.00%
It should remain 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2017, 17:57   #16

Talking Re: Abolish House of Lords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I know where most of em should go now. Seems a new member who aint even posted or introduced herself has voted, seems very suspicious that to me.
I'll take your advice and not argue with an idiot.
Trade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-03-2017, 17:59   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Abolish House of Lords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade007 View Post
The stupidest thing to do would be to abolish the H of L. It's cheap, it works, it's the least likely system to be corrupted, and it's members have the best education money can buy.
What do you imagine would be put in it's place if it was abolished?
An elected membership who are there in their own interests, like the ones in the H of C.
Or 800 people who applied for the job and were hired whether or not they were suitable for the job.
Or make a term in the H of L a periodic compulsory like the jury system.
If you think the House of Lords is expensive now - you ain't seen nothing yet.
Mrs Thatcher abolished MP's pay and made it an expenses only payment system - and the UK taxpayer paid £1645 for a duck house.
Oh so this unelected lot aint in it for their own interests?Do us a favour.
Old 08-03-2017, 18:00   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I'll take your advice and not argue with an idiot.
I dont blame yeh for not talking to yourself.
Old 08-03-2017, 18:30   #19
Beacon of light

Quote:
The stupidest thing to do would be to abolish the H of L. It's cheap, it works, it's the least likely system to be corrupted, and it's members have the best education money can buy.
What do you imagine would be put in it's place if it was abolished?
An elected membership who are there in their own interests, like the ones in the H of C.
Or 800 people who applied for the job and were hired whether or not they were suitable for the job.
Or make a term in the H of L a periodic compulsory like the jury system.
If you think the House of Lords is expensive now - you ain't seen nothing yet.
Mrs Thatcher abolished MP's pay and made it an expenses only payment system - and the UK taxpayer paid £1645 for a duck house.
You get the door prize for talking twaddle.
Most of those in the House of Lords were previously politicians(given this honour for past services..that's a laugh, the only service they did was for themselves)...you know that breed of human who is not there to represent their constituents, but to make a nice living from the public purse. To make connections to business so that when they are discarded by the electorate they still have a way of living high on the hog

You reckon that the only good education is one that can be bought.
What makes you consider these parasites are good value for money when they sit on the benches snoozing while they are paid by us...and those are only the ones who want to get warm. The rest of them clock in and leave in a taxi(also,paid for by us)...I would hate to hear what your idea of a real bargain is.
These people in the House of Lords are also there for their own end...not ours.
It was news to me that Margaret Thatcher abolished politicians pay.
That must have slipped by me. As far as I am aware politicians have always been paid and then drawn expenses on top of their wages.
Back in the time of Lloyd George it was an annual allowance of £400(which would equate to something like £159,000 in today's money).
And you think they cannot be corrupted? Don't you think they can be lobbied to support causes which are likely to pass through the upper house?

No, let's get rid of them, they are not value for money.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 08-03-2017 at 18:34.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 18:49   #20
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Plus, where will the old M.P..'s go when they are no longer of any use?
I know where I would hope they would go...but we all know they will find some other lucrative gravy train to jump onto.Just so that they can continue to live the fine life they have become accustomed to.
Old 08-03-2017, 20:33   #21
Full Member+

You have not missed anything Margaret MPs are paid a salary. It is currently £74,962 per annum plus expenses for running an office, employing staff ,having somewhere to live in London and their constituency and travelling between there and Parliament. Ofcourse we all know a lot of them claim for far more than they are entitled to.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 20:38   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I know where I would hope they would go...but we all know they will find some other lucrative gravy train to jump onto.Just so that they can continue to live the fine life they have become accustomed to.
That's what rattled the HoL scroungers into such a rare example of action- they're totally miffed that they and their Oxbridge educated children will be losing their first class tickets on the EU gravy train. And, damn it, it was the stupid, uneducated British public who did it. How dare we have voted against their self-interest.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 21:09   #23
Beacon of light

There would be some kind of uproar if a Prime Minister abolished salaries and made MPs rely on expenses.
I might be an old bird, but I have a decent memory for such things...and I cannot recall MT doing any such thing....she did lots of things, but I do not believe that that was one of them.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:55   #24
Senior Member+

House of Lords like the Lib Dems is out of touch with reality
cashman likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 16:08   #25
Senior Member+

I will not be surprised if TM introduces some measures to gain revenge on the HoL. I do get the impression that she doesn't suffer fools at all. Not necessarily during this parliament but certainly during the next, which Corbyn & Co will help the Tories gain a more substantial majority, and there is always the hope that the SNP will have buggered off back behind Hadrian's Wall.
Old 09-03-2017, 16:12   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I will not be surprised if TM introduces some measures to gain revenge on the HoL. I do get the impression that she doesn't suffer fools at all. Not necessarily during this parliament but certainly during the next, which Corbyn & Co will help the Tories gain a more substantial majority, and there is always the hope that the SNP will have buggered off back behind Hadrian's Wall.
I must say i hope she does Barrie, but aint holding me breath.
Old 09-03-2017, 17:37   #27
Senior Member+

House of Lords cost the tax payer £100’000000 a year but it’s nice to retirement package for MPs and party fund donators
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 17:57   #28
Beacon of light

Oh but our new member thinks that this is a bargain.
that the system works(Personally I am yet to be convinced of this)...that this means that there is less likely to be corruption.
The system whereby these folks are elevated to the House of Lords is flawed(as is the whole of the honours system) It needs to be got rid of.
Old 09-03-2017, 18:01   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Aye but least she gave her opinion as to why, our long time member who voted similar, never said any reason, just voted and sod all else. still takes all kinds.
Old 10-03-2017, 19:58   #30

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Antiquated, irrelevant and nonsensical..like archery practice on sundays, pubs providing hay for horses and video recorders.

But....to demolish it would take a mass of legislation, and...that would need to be passed by judges, and the ensuing appeals would eventually lead to the supreme court, ruled by one or more of the 22 judges currently sitting in the house of lords...hate to belabour a point...but turkeys do not vote for christmas.....and I would not like to guess how much the attempt would cost the average taxpayer.

Only way to change our system is by insurrection, nuclear holocaust or alien invasion...ain't gonna happen unfortunately
Less likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..