Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree350Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2017, 09:21   #46
JCB

Re: General Election called

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
he later said words to effect that we wernt able to comprehend the complexity of the EU
You don't give the words spoken or written by Graham Jones .

But as to the complexity of the EU I'm not able to comprehend the complexity of the EU .

During the Referendum campaign I was at a loss in trying to get my head around the issues as they were put forward from all sides .

I eventually made up my mind when a friend asked me a very simple question .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-04-2017, 09:54   #47
Beacon of light

I am sure that you are not on your own JCB on understanding the complexity of the EU.

I trawled through lots of information before I voted, just to satisfy myself I was going to be doing what was right(with my conscience ).

I also asked myself if an organisation which wanted us to stay, that was supposed to be friendly, an ally would make the threats that it made about how we would be 'punished' for leaving.
The EU treated us like naughty children.
This organisation was far more reliant on us, than we were on it.
It was misrepresented to the people of this country. It was sold to us as a trading organisation. But it had grown to be far more than that.

I also asked myself, if this were a business would I invest in it.
That told me all I needed to know.
I do not value our elected representative making generalised slurs against the people who put him where he is today.
Whether he said it or not...he posted something that was from somewhere else and it was clearly inflammatory. I don't know anyone who would post a link to a story unless it was something that they believed to be true.
KiTChener, cashman and Gremlin like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 11:20   #48
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am sure that you are not on your own JCB on understanding the complexity of the EU.

I trawled through lots of information before I voted, just to satisfy myself I was going to be doing what was right(with my conscience )
I haven't bought a national newspaper since the start of the 2010 General Election campaign .

I was weary of reading newspapers which were telling me how to vote .

I wanted a newspaper which gave me the facts and enabled me to make my own judgement , based on facts , about how I ought to vote . No such paper exists .

I am a stickler for accuracy . Hence one of the reasons why I like to read facts on the forum and do not necessarily rely on someone else's interpretation of the facts , accurate though they may be . I am not questioning anyone's veracity . It's simply the way I go about things .

About the EU referendum . I was "Yes" to staying in the EU . Then as I was bombarded by TV and radio each day with a plethora of "facts" , many of them contradictory , I became a "Don't Know" .

I was telling a friend that I had a postal vote at home , and that I hadn't a clue what to do with it .

He said , " Well look at it this way . Imagine we are not in the EU and that this referendum is to decide whether we join . How would you vote ? "

Everything seemed to suddenly fall into place , and I voted as I did in 1975 in the EEC referendum . I voted "No" .

Having voted "No" , I am unsure whether the Government is capable of reaching a good conclusion to any negotiations . I think that is one of the reasons Mrs May has called a general election , because she knows she needs a larger majority to get through some unsatisfactory decisions , decisions which her present parliamentary majority would not allow . I hope I am wrong .

Last edited by JCB; 20-04-2017 at 11:22. Reason: c
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 11:54   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Trouble is JCB, the liberals want a second referendum, the Labour sadly aint got a clue, removing the leader is priority on most agendas imho, The SNP are only interested in an independant Scotland,so May had very little choice in my view to change her tune and go for another election. the biased press are saying shes turning, when in fact,to me just using common sense, i too am not convinced she will get the Brexit i wish or many others for that matter, but she the lesser of the evils, a remainer who had the good sense to follow the will of the peoples majority.
Old 20-04-2017, 12:22   #50
Beacon of light

JCB, I read lots of different publications, many of them online...and yes there was a lot of conflicting information, but I did not rely on just that.
I searched out other forms of information, documents that outline the workings of the EU...much of it boring, wordy stuff. The kind of stuff that cures insomnia.
So it was difficult to make decisions.
For me, I felt that the people of the UK were bamboozled into thinking this would be purely a trading association, but it turned into something else without us ever being asked.
I hate feeling like I have been hoodwinked, had the wool pulled over my eyes.

As for Mrs May calling a general election. I believe she has done exactly the right thing.
It means that she can set her own agenda. It means that those who would undermine her efforts by reminding us that she was never elected, can be effectively silenced(that is, supposing she is re-elected).
She will probably make some changes to the political manifesto. I hope that she gets rd of the ludicrous foreign aid budget.
If we must participate in foreign aid, then let it be doled out as vouchers for goods and services that are provided by workers of this country...by companies based in this country.
I hope she will look at the tax loopholes that allow multinational companies to lawfully avoid paying what they should.
If companies like Starbucks and Amazon pay more into the coffers then there will be more money to help those who need the help...the old, the disabled and the sick.

From what I have seen so far of Theresa May, she seems to be a pretty rare bird, she seems to listen to the concerns of the electorate, she appears to have integrity, and it seems like she will take no crap from the less honest politicians in the Palace of Westminster. Especially those unelected parasites in the upper house who would thwart her attempts to follow the wishes of the electorate.

We do not know how things will pan out. We have to hope for the best, we have to work to make our way in the world.
We do not need to be threatened and intimidated by those in the EU who tell us we are a valued member...but want to punish us because we do not want to be part of their dysfunctional club.
Old 20-04-2017, 12:49   #51

That is true Cashman, Scottish Nazi Party, are only interested in Independence, but the people in Scotland are waking up to that. Education is going down the pan, Same with NHS, they have a large pot of money to put into the NHS, badly needed by the way, but have chosen not to, simply to blame the UK Government. This is there WAR CRY, IT'S All WESTMINSTER AND THE TORY'S DOING, NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW THE SNP HAVE GOVERNED SCOTLAND.
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 13:35   #52
Beacon of light

It is always easy to blame someone else.
This is what the SNP are doing. More money is allocated per head in sScotland than in England.
I can't see this position being redressed anytime soon.
The NHS really isn't National. If it were, then those in the highlands would be paying for their prescriptions at the same rate that English people who use the same service.
Old 20-04-2017, 13:58   #53

The NHS is devolved to Scotland. It was the SNP who brought in No Prescription charges. There have been debates in the Scottish Assembly to try and bring in charges for those who can pay, but as usual the SNP won the debate.
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 01:24   #54
God Member

when that crankie look alike cow was bleeting on about leaving the UK when scotland had a referendum it wa son the basis that with leaving the UK scotland would have to leave the EU so she was campaigning for and promoting with all her energy that scotland left the EU as it was part of leaving the UK which she was fully aware of and fully understood

she now wants to remain in the EU and is belting on about not wanting to leave the EU

none of the liberal bias media especially the bbc have questioned her about this nor has the press

the woman is deranged she has no idea what she wants nor does she have any understanding on how things work at all from her actions
hilleluk likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 05:22   #55
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
she has no idea what she wants nor does she have any understanding on how things work at all from her actions
Oh cointreau mong cherry! She knows exactly what she wants & it's all about her! She'll use any excuse to push her agenda of an independent Jockland with her as its president, mincing about on the world stage rubbing shoulders with the great & powerful (in her minds eye). Only problem with that is, that an independent Scotland will have no significance what so ever in the big wide world, the San Marino of the North but without the decent weather.
Old 21-04-2017, 11:42   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Good ole J.C. is saying classrooms are packed like sardines due to the Tory Education Policy,Well sorry i wish it were true, but from where i'm standing, classrooms have been packed like sardines for years due to Labours Immigration policy.they will probably call me racist though for telling the truth.
Old 21-04-2017, 11:48   #57
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Labours education policy to me, appears exactly the same as the Tories education policy.

i.e. spend the absolute minimum on education so that when the electorate vote against what they want, they can blame the whole thing on the ill-educated masses.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 13:25   #58
Beacon of light

Less this has been the norm for a long time.
It seems that all parties want to spend as little as possible on educating our children.They do not see the children as being the future wealth of the country.
Higher education - university is something that if you expect to be able to give to your children, you are expected(as a parent) to pay for it.
Not all children are academic, but that doesn't mean that they should not be availed of the best education that we can provide.
Old 21-04-2017, 13:31   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Perfectly true, All Parties for many years have failed the young, and every election, one blames the other, it makes me wonder if voting is worthwhile any more.
Old 21-04-2017, 14:41   #60
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Perfectly true, All Parties for many years have failed the young, and every election, one blames the other, it makes me wonder if voting is worthwhile any more.
It has always got to be worthwhile casting your vote, even if you are disappointed when later on you end up with a numpty representing you, because that gives you a moral right to criticise the fool.
Barrie Yates and Rowlf like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..