Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree350Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2017, 13:12   #241
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: General Election called

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think it is a bit unfair to say she is adept at changing her mind.
Sometimes in life you have to adjust your course because circumstances change(or your perception of the circumstances change...you have more/better information). To remain on the same course without taking into account of circumstances is foolhardy, stubborn and sometimes it is dangerous. As the Captain of the Titanic would tell you...if he could, that is.
It aint really unfair when attempting to defend the indefensible imho.
Old 20-05-2017, 13:20   #242
Beacon of light

What is the indefensible Cashy?
I am not sure what u turns are being referred to here.
I know that in my working life I had to change my course on a number of occasions.
This was because more information/ better information became available or the circumstances changed.
Now, if Mrs May said she was going to change he mind about taking us out of The EU...that would be a real change of direction.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 13:26   #243
Beacon of light

I want to see someone strong, someone with integrity running this country.
Someone who will not treat us like village idiots.
I want someone who is going to tell us the truth. I know that sometimes the truth is not a sweet medicine to take, but I would rather know I need to hold my nose and swallow it down than have someone sugar coat the Crap, thinking it makes it palatable.

I am quite prepared to make some sacrifices so that our future can be under our own control. If that is what it takes...so be it.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 20-05-2017, 13:31   #244
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
What is the indefensible Cashy?
I am not sure what u turns are being referred to here.
I know that in my working life I had to change my course on a number of occasions.
This was because more information/ better information became available or the circumstances changed.
Now, if Mrs May said she was going to change he mind about taking us out of The EU...that would be a real change of direction.
Its the fact i reckon JCBs doing his best to defend the Labour Party in a roundabout way.
Old 20-05-2017, 14:30   #245
Beacon of light

Ah, it all becomes clearer now.
I thought you meant that it was indefensible to change your mind about something.
Thank you for putting me straight.
cashman likes this.
Old 20-05-2017, 15:36   #246
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Ah, it all becomes clearer now.
I thought you meant that it was indefensible to change your mind about something.
Thank you for putting me straight.
No not at all, only someone with sense changes their mind,only a cretin as far as i'm concerned dont ever reckon they are wrong.
Old 20-05-2017, 17:23   #247
Beacon of light

I would put it as a fool or an arrogant person...Cretinism is a medical condition and I know this is being pedantic, and I know you meant it in the context of an idiot...in fact idiot is spot on.
Old 20-05-2017, 17:37   #248
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I would put it as a fool or an arrogant person...Cretinism is a medical condition and I know this is being pedantic, and I know you meant it in the context of an idiot...in fact idiot is spot on.
Are you being pedantic?

At the last election quite a number on here and within the boundaries of Hyndburn voted for old jonesy, believing him to be a breath of fresh air that would look after our needs, unfortunately we were wrong, he has proved himself to be a server of his party first and us not at all.

I hope we all prove that we have learnt from our mistakes and will remove him from the little power he has proved unable to handle.

Not the action of cretins, indeed more like the actions of thinking beings, we made the mistake once, if we do it again we deserve no better.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 18:02   #249
Beacon of light

Yes Less...I think I am, because I knew what Cashy meant when he used the term 'cretin' to signify an idiot, or a fool.
A cretin can't help their medical condition. An idiot can learn, but whether they do, depends on them.

Yes, you are right about a lot of us thinking that GJ would be a breath of fresh air. I voted for him thinking he would have our concerns at the heart of what he did in Westminster...but all he did was butter his own crust...and left us with the crumbs of hope.

I have learned my lesson. I won't be voting that way again...EVER!
Old 20-05-2017, 22:27   #250
God Member

this isnt new news but its new news to me

i had known about corbyn standing with IRA terrorists and honoring them with a minutes silence but until today i didnt know he had campaigned for IRA terrorists to get medals for basically murdering British soldiers and blowing up British civilians with bombs

how anyone who has served this country or has family members who are serving or have served this country can possibly think corbyn is fit to be in British politics yet alone be this countries leader is beyond me

i remember the spree of bombings on tv very well it was a part of my everyday childhood growing up just as is isis is for todays children

i remember the devastation in manchester after the IRA bombed it and corbyn wanted to give them medals for it ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 06:14   #251
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
My mum was leaning towards the Tories until this issue of Winter Fuel Payments came up. Now she's undecided.
Doubt your mum will be on her own .

A few memories will have been jogged by Mother Theresa's policies towards the elderly .

Same old Tories .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 07:49   #252
Beacon of light

I don't think they are.
I think that they have listened to the people on a number of issues.
There are always going to be old folk...heck I am one of them.
I do not want something for nothing. I want to pay my way, I want to retain as much independence as possible, for as long as possible.
The removal of Winter Fuel payment for the pensioners who are not on pension credits means that those who are in real need should get this.
As for using your house to pay for your care. This has changed too so that you will get to keep more of your money.
What makes people think that the state is responsible for their upkeep?
I worked for all of my life, I contributed to the good of the country.
I STILL contribute(through my taxes). It is an honest PM that I want. She has to do what will balance the books.
I suppose JC would have us all live in the lap of luxury(paid for by those rich folk he wants to tax out of existence, because be sure they would leave in droves to somewhere more hospitable to them)...he would borrow to fund his vision of Utopia...but when you borrow, the money has to be paid back with interest.
We have had servings of that, it doesn't work, it never has.
I will not be voting for any Labour candidate until they have a leader, rather than a Union Shop Steward.
Until they have a real grip on what concerns the electorate.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 21-05-2017, 07:58   #253
Beacon of light

On the subject of the Winter Fuel payment, I was in the post office on the run up to Christmas last year. Two pensioners were behind me talking about the Winter Fuel payment.
They were not using it to pay for their heating bills, the conversation I overheard told me that this money was going to be used for Christmas presents to grand children and booze for the Christmas festivities.
Now I know that this was only two pensioners I heard talking, but if the money is meant to pay the Winter bills why doesn't the government remove VAT from fuel bills so that the whole population benefits?For those pensioners still in need, the money could be paid as vouchers or directly to the Fuel company to reduce the Winter bill. Or is that solution too simple ?
DaveinGermany and Gremlin like this.
Old 21-05-2017, 11:27   #254
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Have to say i dont regard that as being pedantic, to be honest, i wasn't aware cretinism was a medical condition, so am always glad to learn summat.
Old 21-05-2017, 14:33   #255
God Member

Quote:
On the subject of the Winter Fuel payment...They were not using it to pay for their heating bills, the conversation I overheard told me that this money was going to be used for Christmas presents
This whole issue is a microcosm of what's wrong with politics and a manic 24/7 media desperate to create headlines, not disseminate facts.
The initial 'winter' fuel benefit was the cold weather payment, which still exists, and is £25 to certain benefit recipients, including pensioners, every time the temperature is 0 degrees for 7 days between November and March.
Then along comes Gordon Brown and creates another benefit, the Winter Fuel Allowance, as a bribe to older voters, and gives it without reference to whether or not everyone needs it, or if the weather warrants it. It's also not paid to pensioners but to anyone over 60.
This is standard Labour policy as they don't want people to be self-reliant but want everyone to have some government payment/handout, so they have a compliant electorate with something to lose. Vote for me and I'll save your benefit!
Being human, we gobble up this largesse from our masters but, as others have said, there is no free lunch and if, as we are repeatedly told, we need to pour every more money into the bottomless pit that is the NHS, something needs to give.
And being one of those who receives the Winter Fuel Allowance, I'm quite resigned to losing it and putting on a jumper if it every drops below freezing.
Rant over, the sun is out again.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..