Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree350Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2017, 14:55   #256
Beacon of light

Re: General Election called

You have hit the nail on the head Exile.
The politicians want us to depend on them...dependent folk are less and less likely to think for themselves, be responsible for themselves.
It gives politicians an element of control.
I want to support myself, to be independent of benefits....and don't anyone come back with the riposte that if I claim my state pension, then this is a benefit. It is not.
Benefits are not taxed. I pay tax on my pension because during my working life I paid voluntarily into an independent fund to ensure that during my twilight years I could be financially solvent.
I planned my retirement and made provision for it.
This is how I was brought up.
You can have whatever you want, but it has to be paid for(surely that is the first rule of financial solvency). If you can't pay, then you have to save a bit more until you can pay for it.

Like you, I can forgo my Winter Fuel payment...I will buy myself a few extra jumpers from one of the charity shops, I will move about more and if it gets really cold(like Canadian cold)
I will go to bed and wrap myself in the duvet.
It is a trade off I am willing to make to get out of the EU.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-05-2017, 15:51   #257
Senior Member+

I've seen it all now when it comes to canvassing for votes.
In Todmorden yesterday a labour supporter was in the Golden Lion offering a free pint to people who had not registered to vote to go in and register. I suppose she had the relevant forms and all she needed was their NI number, name and address.
I don't suppose for one minute she was telling them that labour should be their first choice.
Old 21-05-2017, 16:07   #258
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I've seen it all now when it comes to canvassing for votes.
In Todmorden yesterday a labour supporter was in the Golden Lion offering a free pint to people who had not registered to vote to go in and register. I suppose she had the relevant forms and all she needed was their NI number, name and address.
I don't suppose for one minute she was telling them that labour should be their first choice.
I suppose (never having heard of this kind of bribe before) that so long as the person doesn't insist that folk sign for one party, it could be called a public service?

However I do feel sorry for folk that had been responsible and had already signed up to vote, missing out on a free pint!!!! I'd have sleepless nights.
bernie94, Gremlin and hilleluk like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 16:43   #259
God Member

in preparation for the election our MP has a new facebook page

i dont know why because deleting all records and postings from june 22nd to 13th july 2016 has removed all the hissy fits and name calling of the fine folk of hyndburn who voted to leave the EU

boy oh boy does he not think very much of us leave voters

it went beyond calling us thick and the %95 farce

if i was wanting to get re elected in an area that voted in the vast majority to leave the EU i woulda deleted all them posts as well

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 17:25   #260
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
in preparation for the election our MP has a new facebook page

i dont know why because deleting all records and postings from june 22nd to 13th july 2016 has removed all the hissy fits and name calling of the fine folk of hyndburn who voted to leave the EU

boy oh boy does he not think very much of us leave voters

it went beyond calling us thick and the %95 farce

if i was wanting to get re elected in an area that voted in the vast majority to leave the EU i woulda deleted all them posts as well
We deserve all the name calling he can throw at us, we were daft enough to vote for him! (Never again).
accyman likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 18:07   #261
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
We deserve all the name calling he can throw at us, we were daft enough to vote for him! (Never again).
to his credit he dosnt like corbyn at all either but the catch is that a vote for him is a vote for corbyn

id hate to be someone in a position that also hates corbyn but wants to vote for Mr Jones

fortunately i dont have this worry i voted leave so can not give a Remainer my vote

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 21-05-2017, 23:45   #262
God Member

a post from our MP popped up on facbook and he wants all children to get free school meals and suggests that it could be funded by higher earners paid taxes

forgive me but it does seem by the time the higher earner taxes have paid for everything promised by corbyn plus been used as a source for every other thing that needs paying for that labour Mps want to promise us to get elected i cant help but think the people paying all this extra tax will be bankrupt within a year

Labours answer to who will pay to everything is tax the higher earners more

at what point will they stop it wont be worth been a manager under labour as after tax you will be getting paid less than the floor sweeper

Old 22-05-2017, 06:17   #263
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
a post from our MP popped up on facbook and he wants all children to get free school meals
Mother Theresa is promising free school breakfasts for ALL Primary School children .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 06:57   #264
Beacon of light

and that is, in your opinion, a bad thing?
From your tone it seems that you think it is.
Or is it just because it is a vote catcher?
My opinion, for what it is worth, is that parents have a responsibility to ensure their children get breakfast BEFORE leaving for school.
Why should the schools be responsible for doling out breakfast?
And what kind of breakfast will it be?
Probably cereal and milk.
It won't be a boiled egg and soldiers.
cashman, bernie94, accyman and 3 others like this.
Old 22-05-2017, 07:16   #265
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Mother Theresa is promising free school breakfasts for ALL Primary School children .

but labour are the ones that keep on adding to the list of promises with no explanation of where the money is going to come from to pay for all these wonderful hings they want to give everyone for free other than tax the rich more

theres only so much you can tax someone before they either dont see any point in having a good job or leave the country

Old 22-05-2017, 09:36   #266
Beacon of light

The people tha Labour want to tax are those who would be welcomed by other countries who would treat them better.
Not only would they take the money and run, but they might take jobs with them.
accyman and Gremlin like this.
Old 22-05-2017, 10:55   #267
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
My opinion, for what it is worth, is that parents have a responsibility to ensure their children get breakfast BEFORE leaving for school.
Why should the schools be responsible for doling out breakfast?
I agree .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 19:28   #268
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
In Todmorden yesterday a labour supporter was in the Golden Lion offering a free pint to people who had not registered to vote to go in and register.
Aye aye, a whiff of Sgt Horatio Havercamp it seems! Only difference being, he's a likeable cad, now labour on the other hand .....
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 22-05-2017, 19:33   #269
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

And another thing, it shows just how scummy politics has gotten in the UK nowadays when they're on about neutral observers to watch over voting in certain areas! Okay I can see the sense & reasoning behind it but monitors from Uganda & Guyana ..... really???? Absolutely unbelievable!

Ugandan Observers Sent to Watch Ballot in Birmingham Ward Know Voting Fraud
Old 22-05-2017, 22:09   #270
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
And another thing, it shows just how scummy politics has gotten in the UK nowadays when they're on about neutral observers to watch over voting in certain areas! Okay I can see the sense & reasoning behind it but monitors from Uganda & Guyana ..... really???? Absolutely unbelievable!

Ugandan Observers Sent to Watch Ballot in Birmingham Ward Know Voting Fraud

bloomin ugandans comin here taking our jobs lol

will these be ugandan princes or pirates ?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..