Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2017, 20:59   #1

Do you know where your nearest defibrillator is?

Just asking because I know, I thought my partner was having a heart attack on Monday night and I was told by the ambulance service to get it quickly.
I got it straight away but luckily I didn't have to use it
My partner is fine now but I think that all should know where this equipment is because it could be worth finding out.
bobthedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-05-2017, 21:05   #2
Senior Member+

re: Do you know where your nearest defibrillator is?

Nearest to me now(if it's still there) is Clayton outside the library

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 23-05-2017, 21:13   #3
Beacon of light

Yes and me...I think I would be alright. I have used a defibrillator before and I am told that the current ones give you instructions.
Glad to hear that your partner is alright Bob...it must have been very scary.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 21:16   #4
Full Member+

Glad your partner is ok. I have no idea where there is one near me. I didnt even know there were ones for the public to use. Wouldnt think it is a good idea to leave someone you suspect of having a heart attack while you go off to find one anyway.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 21:48   #5

No I was in a panic I got a next Door in, if you think this is it your brain doesn't work properly, I just think everyone should know if this is needed.
Old 23-05-2017, 21:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Glad your partner is ok. I have no idea where there is one near me. I didnt even know there were ones for the public to use. Wouldnt think it is a good idea to leave someone you suspect of having a heart attack while you go off to find one anyway.
That's why you should know where it is mine is 200 yards away
Old 23-05-2017, 22:41   #7
God Member

in the kitchen

if someone rushes in and waves my last gas bill in front of me the shock should do the trick

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 08:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthedj View Post
That's why you should know where it is mine is 200 yards away
Is there a register of where these are situated within the borough?
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 10:33   #9

I don't know but will try to find out
Old 24-05-2017, 14:07   #10
God Member

http://www.heartsafe.org.uk/AED-Locations

put your location in atthe bottom of the map and it shoudl put up the nearest ones

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 24-05-2017, 16:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
http://www.heartsafe.org.uk/AED-Locations

put your location in atthe bottom of the map and it shoudl put up the nearest ones
Thanks, accyman, have checked, none anywhere near where I live, shall have to rely on paramedics!!
Although, not sure how up to date map is, as I know that one has been installed in Baxenden in recent months, & not shown.

Thanks anyway.
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 16:06   #12
God Member

it might be an idea for them to show only ones that are available and charged ready for use as there was an issue with one been missing for some considerable amount of time due to it getting left somewhere uncharged

it was tracked down eventually and recharged then put back

Old 24-05-2017, 18:06   #13
Full Member+

I have checked on the map but unfortunately the nearest one is in Trawden which is miles away. Seeing as I am only 5 mins from Burnley General I am better waiting for an ambulance. I think these devices are useful but unless you knew exactly how to use one it would take ages reading the instructions . I know from personal experience that if the person who needs immediate aid is a loved one it is very hard to think straight . My mum collapsed outside Burtons in Accy Arndale and I couldnt have told you my name never mind anything else. I do think it is vital for junior football or cricket or other sports groups to have one onsite and have a few people trained to use them.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 18:22   #14
Beacon of light

These defibrillators are specially designed to be used by lay people...but yes, I get what you are saying.
At times of stress we are inclined to go into panic paralysis.
I have had extensive experience, but could not guarantee that in circumstances where a family member was in dire straits, I would remain cool and collected.
You never know until you are tested...and I hope to forego that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 18:23   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Cheers accyman, none near ossy so thats us knackered,wi the time it takes Ambulances to come these days. mind yeh until bobthedj posted this, we didn't know anyway that these lifesavers existed outside of medical places.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..