Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree209Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2017, 09:56   #181
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Exit Polls

Sorry folks, but I'm not convinced that leccy cars are saviour of the planet, in fact I'd rate them as more damaging than diesel or petrol. Firstly the batteries have to be produced from raw products that are gathered from around the world.

Then there is their limited range in comparison with a diesel/petrol so they need to be "tanked" more often & where does this electric come from, not wind power as it's inefficient & unreliable, so you're back to coal/gas fired power stations or as most of UK's leccy comes from German & French sources you're looking at nuclear powered stations.

The electric motor is nowhere near as powerful as a diesel/petrol so the vehicle construction needs to be lightweight & strong so again you're looking at raised production costs for alloys & special materials whose production draws heavily on standard sources.

Nah, I'm one of your diesel gorillas me, so I'll be keeping my nasty, smelly, atmosphere polluting truck for the foreseeable future thank you very much!
Old 09-07-2017, 10:22   #182
God Member

if government and environmentalists really did care about the planet they would be pushing hydrogen cars forward and investing in technology for them not electric cars

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:26   #183
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Sorry folks, but I'm not convinced that leccy cars are saviour of the planet, in fact I'd rate them as more damaging than diesel or petrol. Firstly the batteries have to be produced from raw products that are gathered from around the world.

Then there is their limited range in comparison with a diesel/petrol so they need to be "tanked" more often & where does this electric come from, not wind power as it's inefficient & unreliable, so you're back to coal/gas fired power stations or as most of UK's leccy comes from German & French sources you're looking at nuclear powered stations.

The electric motor is nowhere near as powerful as a diesel/petrol so the vehicle construction needs to be lightweight & strong so again you're looking at raised production costs for alloys & special materials whose production draws heavily on standard sources.

Nah, I'm one of your diesel gorillas me, so I'll be keeping my nasty, smelly, atmosphere polluting truck for the foreseeable future thank you very much!
i once saw an old person stranded when their electric scooter ran out of juice..

i knew there and then an electric car is not ever going to be an option

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:41   #184
Beacon of light

When folk buy electric cars they do so because they have been bamboozled by the 'green' agenda.

They are salving their own consciences, deferring the consequences(if you believe the green agenda stuff)...and perhaps there is just a bit of 'humble bragging ' going on there too.
When will we see electric lorries delivering our bread and groceries...the answer to that is not while I am alive and breathing on this planet.
The green agenda is something dreamed up to make people pay more for resources.
There are some who would like to see the likes of you and me back in donkey carts...and then they would be quick to tell us that Donkey farts pollute the atmosphere, cause a hole in the ozone layer and the donkey muck clogs the drains and causes flooding in winter.
accyman, accyman, hilleluk and 1 others like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:53   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
if government and environmentalists really did care about the planet they would be pushing hydrogen cars forward and investing in technology for them not electric cars
Where do you plan to get the hydrogen from?
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:28   #186
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
In all honesty I can't see that being the answer either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Walker View Post
That would be my main question too.

I'm aware of grumblings here in Krautieland that they want to make the Country electric dominated by 2030. More pie in the sky to my mind as these guys quite succinctly explain.

Germany's plan for 100% electric cars may actually increase carbon emissions

That said though, I did notice while trundling round Bayern happily belching out clouds of diesel fumes from my owd jallopy a marked increase of "Tesla" elecy cars out & about (smug virtue signalling B'stards that they are).

Starting in at around £62,000 upto £130,000 (I could buy our thing three times over just at the starting price! ) then only being able to travel for 250-300 miles (400-480 kms) before the thing is dead & in need of recharging & however long that takes.

No, neither use nor ornament in a Land the size of Germany, mind you travelling from here in Osnabruck down to the M.i.L's in Munich, about 680 kms would be spread over 2 days travelling ...... like they say, every cloud & all that!
Less likes this.
Old 09-07-2017, 19:31   #187
I am Banned

Quote:
Down here in Sheffield there is quiete a few petrol stations with hydrogen fuel pumps
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 19:34   #188
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=

No, neither use nor ornament in a Land the size of Germany, mind you travelling from here in Osnabruck down to the M.i.L's in Munich, about 680 kms would be spread over 2 days travelling ...... like they say, every cloud & all that! [/QUOTE]

What would be the beer consumption on such a trip - better than the car mpg?
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 09-07-2017, 20:37   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by st06nc2 View Post
Down here in Sheffield there is quiete a few petrol stations with hydrogen fuel pumps
To clarify, there are no natural sources of Hydrogen on the planet so you have to extract it from something that contains it.

1) You could do on an industrial scale what you may have done at school, namely pass electricity through water. From one electrode you get Oxygen from the other you get Hydrogen but there are a couple of snags. Firstly its inefficient most of what you get is hot water so I suppose you could try to offset the cost by running a district heating business but to be non-seasonal it will have to be pretty far north. Secondly you have to use nearly clean water, completely clean is no good, its not conductive, cannot use sea water because the salt will break down into sulphuric acid and Chlorine, so another expense.

2) You could do what the only big Hydrogen plant in Europe does. First get a source of natural gas, either Methane and/or Ethane, use some of the gas to heat steam to 900 centigrade and mix it with some more of the natural gas in a retort at 900 C with some catalysts and pipe the output into a separation plant. In the separation plant you use more energy to seperate the hydrogen from the carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, water and a few other things that the process produced. Naturally you then have to find a use for the carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide you were trying to avoid in the first place.

So I ask again where are you going to get the Hydrogen? The engine is great but the fuel (production of) is about as bad as you can get, not really a surprise the original suggestion came from the Texas oil industry as a way of staying in business with petrol and diesel becoming ‘un-friendly’.

Last edited by Hill Walker; 09-07-2017 at 20:40.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:23   #190
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

See, you learn something new every day on this site.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:32   #191
I am Banned

Hydrogen is in the air, all we need to do is to find a way of harnessing it, would lead to cleaner air and a new source of fuel
Old 10-07-2017, 07:23   #192

Quote:
Hydrogen is in the air, all we need to do is to find a way of harnessing it, would lead to cleaner air and a new source of fuel
Sorry but that is not the case. Air from sea level up to 10km is Nitrogen (78%), Oxygen (20%), Argon (1%), Carbon dioxide (0.04%), water (0.001% - 5%), Neon, Helium and Methane (all less than 0.002%). To find any Hydrogen at all you have to get up to 700km above sea level where small quantities are exchanged with the solar wind (and you have to keep ducking to avoid passing satellites). Hydrogen is far to reactive to exist freely in the air at sea level.
Neil likes this.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:55   #193
I am Banned

Quote:
Sorry but that is not the case. Air from sea level up to 10km is Nitrogen (78%), Oxygen (20%), Argon (1%), Carbon dioxide (0.04%), water (0.001% - 5%), Neon, Helium and Methane (all less than 0.002%). To find any Hydrogen at all you have to get up to 700km above sea level where small quantities are exchanged with the solar wind (and you have to keep ducking to avoid passing satellites). Hydrogen is far to reactive to exist freely in the air at sea level.
Here are 10 gases that make up clean air: In order of highest to lowest concentration they are Nitrogen, Oxygen, Argon, Carbon dioxide, Neon, Helium, Methane (CH4), Krypton, Hydrogen, and Xenon. There is small quantities of hydrogen in the air at sea level, 1 out of 2,000,000 atoms/molecules of air is hydrogen
Old 10-07-2017, 08:18   #194
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany

Starting in at around £62,000 upto £130,000 (I could buy our thing three times over just at the starting price! )
if i,d that sort of money to spend keighley would have a red ferrari on the road and be parked up down livingstone road every fortnight and sod the fuel consuption.
DaveinGermany likes this.

Last edited by Neil; 10-07-2017 at 12:52. Reason: fix quote
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:02   #195

Quote:
Here are 10 gases that make up clean air: In order of highest to lowest concentration they are Nitrogen, Oxygen, Argon, Carbon dioxide, Neon, Helium, Methane (CH4), Krypton, Hydrogen, and Xenon. There is small quantities of hydrogen in the air at sea level, 1 out of 2,000,000 atoms/molecules of air is hydrogen
Nobody in their right mind would consider a resource at 0.000005% availability as a recoverable asset. Recovery costs would probably be in excess of £100,000/litre.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..