Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree209Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2017, 21:20   #226
God Member

Re: Exit Polls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Very small scale used fat is ok but not enough for us all to use. I ran my car of new vegetable oil for a few months several years ago. It was smoother and quieter at low revs with slightly less power at motorway speeds. We can't grow enough for that to be a viable solution either.

When they smell of chips it's not a nice smell
you cant use bio diesel in new cars but its nothing to do with the new engines its that the designers changed how the filters work so on newer cars they get clogged up with bio diesel

i think there is an additive you can get to help the problem but im not sure it works in the newer cars

or you could just buy red diesel from the dodgy bloke at the dodgy garage and hope not to get caught lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-07-2017, 21:45   #227
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Walker View Post
An interesting writeup on a device I had not previously come across. However lab prototypes do not always successfully scale up to be useable as industrial processes. Also I note that it makes no mention of how much energy you have to put in to make it work, the lifetime of the electrodes, the nature and quantity of any residual products, any of these could be big stumbling blocks as is often the case.
https://m.phys.org/news/2016-05-elec...-hydrogen.html

A more detailed article into it
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 22:08   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I didn't think you could use sea water to produce hydrogen.
The salt breaks down into sulphuric acid and chlorine...but if you know different then I am ready to be educated.
Looks like I should have included the phrase 'traditional electrolysis of water' in my previous post. Obviously been retired for too long and not keeping up to date. However the currently available hydrogen fuel is being manufactured in 'traditional' ways and that is silly, better to burn the natural gas directly and avoid wasting the energy needed to turn it into hydrogen.

Tucked away at the bottom of the page of one the previous references is the following link to a very interesting development. Admittedly only the first step to half of a problem but a very good first step. Needs to overcome the already noted problems and an equivalent development for the other half of the reaction but if it can be made to work and scale up could be very very good.

https://m.phys.org/news/2016-02-scie...-reaction.html
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:10   #229
Beacon of light

It is amazing the things you can learn on here.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:04   #230
God Member

[QUOTE=accyman;1197191]you cant use bio diesel in new cars but its nothing to do with the new engines its that the designers changed how the filters work so on newer cars they get clogged up with bio diesel

i think there is an additive you can get to help the problem but im not sure it works in the newer cars

a lot of problems have occured over the last few years with the use of diesel. a few years due to the introduction of ago BMW diesel cars had a big problem with their fuel pumps having failures due to a lot of additives being taken out of the fuel to make it what they call cleaner. advised owners to put an additive in when re fueling. i always do this using a millers product.{other ones are available**. does what it says on the can. not many diesels even older ones can be run with success on old chip oil without damage. know some who have but not for a long time.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:33   #231
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Bio-fuel, is what you're talking about here. Quite some years ago the Germans decided to reduce reliance on pure diesel & started producing Bio-diesel & mixing it with traditional diesel at about 7%, there was uproar & no one would touch it, even the ADAC (RAC equivalent) condemned it as it would cause numerous problems with older vehicles the main one gumming up injectors & damaging engines.......
I've used bio diesel as well from a local producer but I ran a Xantia of almost pure veg oil with a little diesel to thin it down a bit. The problem is the viscosity at lower temperatures so it was a summer experiment only. You can run straight veg oil all the time but you need to heat it to thin it which is a faff and I didn't want to take it that for by adding heat exchangers etc.

One problem with bio in older cars is that it can cause problems with seal used, newer diesels use different materials not affected by the bio diesel.

Some bio diesel isn't as green as people think, most is a methyl ester made using methanol which comes from the petrochemical industry. An ethyl ester made from ethanol is greener as long as you make your ethanol by fermentation and not petrochem

Last edited by Neil; 11-07-2017 at 08:39.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 18:29   #232

Eh,translation needed
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 18:50   #233
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Eh,translation needed
Agree whats all this to do with Exit Polls?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:07   #234
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

As usual the vagaries of AW led us off on a tangent about alternative fuels & power sources, possibly worth a thread of its own. Still as the bold Cashy pointed out we're off topic .... so, to bring things back round again.

It seems the whiners & ne'er do wells (Corpy-bin, the Wee ginger Tom & jumped up Jones) are after kissing eu arse by presenting their individual cases ref Brexit but "Big bad Barnier" has fobbed them off or so he says, who knows what the truth is, time will tell no doubt.

Brexit news - Michel Barnier gives update on progress of negotiations with EU | Politics | News | Express.co.uk
cashman and hilleluk like this.
Old 12-07-2017, 18:14   #235
Senior Member+

Quote:
As usual the vagaries of AW led us off on a tangent about alternative fuels & power sources, possibly worth a thread of its own. Still as the bold Cashy pointed out we're off topic .... so, to bring things back round again.

It seems the whiners & ne'er do wells (Corpy-bin, the Wee ginger Tom & jumped up Jones) are after kissing eu arse by presenting their individual cases ref Brexit but "Big bad Barnier" has fobbed them off or so he says, who knows what the truth is, time will tell no doubt.

Brexit news - Michel Barnier gives update on progress of negotiations with EU | Politics | News | Express.co.uk
From what I have seen today he needs to take Whistling Lessons.
Old 16-07-2017, 11:00   #236
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
he can take that racist Abbot with him as well

she hates white people with a passion its staggering how it has become racist to point out she is an out right racist
Must be part of the job application specifics (along with being ignorant) for a labour politico, as marvellously demonstrated by Wolverhampton South Wests latest labour darling!

Labour MP: England's Black Country Flag Is 'Racist', Should Be Replaced with 'Multicultural Rainbow'

And all this in Enochs old stamping ground, my how the times have changed.
Old 16-07-2017, 11:18   #237
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Must be part of the job application specifics (along with being ignorant) for a labour politico, as marvellously demonstrated by Wolverhampton South Wests latest labour darling!

Labour MP: England's Black Country Flag Is 'Racist', Should Be Replaced with 'Multicultural Rainbow'

And all this in Enochs old stamping ground, my how the times have changed.
Typically Stupid no wonder many have left Labour.
Old 16-07-2017, 12:10   #238
Beacon of light

It worries this MP because she is a black person( I thought we had changed this to a 'person of colour')...How very sad that this is something that she has at the forefront of her worries.
I can assure her that we have a lot of things in this country to be worried about...and that flag is definitely NOT one of them.

cynical baggage that I am...I think this is more about raising her profile than any issues to do with a flag.
hilleluk likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 18:38   #239
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It worries this MP because she is a black person( I thought we had changed this to a 'person of colour')...How very sad that this is something that she has at the forefront of her worries.
I can assure her that we have a lot of things in this country to be worried about...and that flag is definitely NOT one of them.

cynical baggage that I am...I think this is more about raising her profile than any issues to do with a flag.
Yes indeed how typical, our blacks greys, greens and browns, what we call mixed race and plenty of others, put up with far more than the style of a flag.

WE are people of many races, we understand that we are all different but exist in our communities as best we can, this complaining misery isn't helping, she is dividing our communities by complaining about something that really doesn't matter.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 07:31   #240
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Yes indeed how typical, our blacks greys, greens and browns, what we call mixed race and plenty of others, put up with far more than the style of a flag.

WE are people of many races, we understand that we are all different but exist in our communities as best we can, this complaining misery isn't helping, she is dividing our communities by complaining about something that really doesn't matter.
People actually voted to make her home secretary

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..