Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2017, 11:41   #16
Senior Member+

£30 Extra To Have Your Green Bin Emptied !!

We were turned down for a green bin when we requested one. We've just had to cut back a tree that was blocking light into the garden so used the cuttings to make a hedgehog house on a small piece of overgrown land at the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by gpick24; 07-07-2017 at 11:50.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-07-2017, 14:32   #17
Senior Member+

Re: £30 Extra To Have Your Green Bin Emptied !!

I am not paying £30 for a green bin which I only use once or twice a year. I think I will charge the council £30 a year storage.
KiTChener likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 15:00   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
There are lots of us with gardens that were never offered a green bin. I would have paid £30 to have one. I would not be happy having my council tax increased so you could have a free green bin and me not though.

The reason for this extra charge is because they no longer have anywhere to recycle the green waste so it looks like it will all be going to landfill. Expect to see the grey bin wagon emptying the green bins as well. If you're not happy with the charge you can either take it to the tip yourself, put it in your grey bin as they have said in the letter of like a few idiots have said elsewhere fly tip it.

The bigger issue appears to be that HBC expect people who don't wish to pay for the green bin service to keep the green bin in case they change their mind or people who may live in that house in the future wish to use it.

I feel this idea is ridiculous and HBC should come and take their green bins away if the home owner asks them to.

Firstly, Neil, I didn't realise that HBC were being selective as to who was allowed to have a green bin, so I can take your point as one of the disaffected. I wrongly assumed that everyone with a garden had one provided.

Secondly, the fact that we are now allowed to place our garden waste into the grey bin, backs up your point that it is all going to landfill.... if this is the case, how long have we been separating the stuff for no good reason?

And, the fact that many people will no longer need the empty green bins, why should we find space for them on our property? If you yourself really would like one, you're welcome to come and collect mine, stuff what the council says.

Finally, as one of the 'idiots' you mention.... can you not tell, as a long-term moderator when someone is writing with tongue firmly planted within cheek?
Not all of us need to use these silly cartoon creatures to make our point!!
Shurm likes this.
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 15:48   #19

I've paid the £30. We used to have a recycling centre in Great Harwood, but now it's closed it would too much hassle going to the other centre. My green bin is currently full up to the top, so I'm waiting for the next collection so I can do the next part of my garden.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 17:26   #20
Senior Member+

apparently they give you a sticker to put on your green bin, once the sticker has been stuck on a bin whats to stop someone nicking a bin with the sticker on and using as their own
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 18:35   #21
Full Member+

Quote:
Not everyone has a green bin so it sounds fair to just charge those that do instead of everyone.
Not everyone has a fire.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 13:04   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
apparently they give you a sticker to put on your green bin, once the sticker has been stuck on a bin whats to stop someone nicking a bin with the sticker on and using as their own
The sticker has your address on it.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 15:19   #23
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

It seems like another money making exercise by the local council, is this just in the Hyndburn area or nationwide? Living away from the UK for so long I only see/hear snippets of the lunacy & excesses from family, friends & chat sites like this un.

And much as I'm English, proud of my roots & heritage, the more I see/hear the less I comprehend.

Old 08-07-2017, 16:46   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
It seems like another money making exercise by the local council, is this just in the Hyndburn area or nationwide? Living away from the UK for so long I only see/hear snippets of the lunacy & excesses from family, friends & chat sites like this un.

And much as I'm English, proud of my roots & heritage, the more I see/hear the less I comprehend.

I don't know if its nationwide but many councils are doing it, and at a variety of prices, £33 in my case for 1 bin every 3 weeks, £28 extra per bin for additional bins (max of 2 extras).
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 19:04   #25

Had it down here in Devon for the last 3 years, never bothered paying it. I just incinerate my garden waste & risk upsetting the neighbours once a month or sometimes stick it in the grey one.
Less likes this.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 00:12   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I already pay for this service, why am I having to pay again. The green bin service is a 6 months of the year affair which makes it expensive if you only put the bin out a couple of times, it goes against the grain as I support recycling but it will go into the grey bin and then into landfill. Just a pondering but I think the uptake will be so low that the scheme will either be dropped or revert to what it is now.
I think all the green waste will go to landfill now as LCC's recycling plants have been shutdown so they will have nowhere for it to go
Old 09-07-2017, 00:17   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post
Why were people not given them if you had gardens and grass to cut ? Your right though I bet everyone can have one now !!
They said some houses that do have gardens but are not on the green bin collection routes could not have a bin. Maybe that will change if they are putting green bins into normal non recycling truck. Not found out for sure yet where the green waste will be going
Old 09-07-2017, 05:55   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post
Why were people not given them if you had gardens and grass to cut ? Your right though I bet everyone can have one now !!
i was told rothwell avenue wasnt a garden area

funny though because houses in more expensive areas with smaller gardens were

surely when the council built council houses with gardens they were aware they had gardens ?

or did tenants just put their own gardens in perhaps ?

i guess lower income families just wernt worthy of a green bin and service from the council

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:02   #29
God Member

Quote:
They said some houses that do have gardens but are not on the green bin collection routes could not have a bin. Maybe that will change if they are putting green bins into normal non recycling truck. Not found out for sure yet where the green waste will be going
all green waste is collected separately at the tip which i assume is then sold for compost

they wouldnt collect it separately if there wasnt any benefit to them in doing so they would just stick it in the general waste and send it straight to landfill

we recycle to make sita money

we now pay £30 to have our grass collected so it can make sita money

the council shoudl take back the tips , employ the staff again and make all the profits themselves from all the various things like electronics , scrap metal , cardboard , plastic bottles , glass etc that has made sits a multi million if not billion £ company

perhaps people woudl also be less likely to fly tip if money was directly benefiting the area and there wernt charges for people to take the stuff the tip sells to the tip

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:32   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

perhaps people woudl also be less likely to fly tip if money was directly benefiting the area and there wernt charges for people to take the stuff the tip sells to the tip
I doubt that very much, flytippers are Lazy Scumbags simple as.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..