Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2017, 16:59   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Community Leaders?

Isn't it about time that if we have so called 'community leaders' influencing our day to day living that all the community gets a chance to decide who it is that represents us?
I for one am fed up with with the situation being allowed to carry on the way it is.

I site for example the year of 2006, I lived on Holland St a nice end terrace house just needed a few modifications to bring it up to date.

No, this could not be, that area was to be demolished and everyone moved.

I went to a meeting it was organised by the Council to explain the future for the area, it was packed.
The guy in charge explained how these changes would benefit the area and that he was in close communication with the 'community leaders' about all that would effect the people in the area.

Excuse me, said I but I don't have a 'community leader' I am represented by a Councillor and an M.P. which of these people will ensure I am kept informed?

This caused a slight commotion which included an English speaking Asian standing up and informing me he was a 'community leader' and would ensure that all the community was informed of developments.

This of course didn't happen no-one kept me informed.

The Guy from the council did come up to me after the meeting however to inform me that unfortunately I was part of a minority in the area and couldn't expect the same amount of detailed information as would be given to the 'community leaders'.

Why not? I had asked after all surely if as you say I'm a minority then I should get extra attention so that I don't miss out on what the areas majority are getting?

Ah I'm sorry he replied, it doesn't work like that.
after all we can't give you preferential attention.

Well over 10 years have gone by I was moved, I am in a land nothing like I was used to and still 'community leaders' seem to get more attention much to the detriment of myself and the others of the white minority left in this area.

Isn't it about time that 'community leaders' represented the whole of the community and not just those that attend a Mosque every Friday.

If 'community leaders' are to continue it's about time everyone has a chance to vote for which one represents them?
KiTChener, Busman747 and ray honda like this.

Last edited by Less; 22-09-2017 at 17:02.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-09-2017, 17:41   #2

Re: Community Leaders?

This posting has been a real learning lesson for me about the situation in Accrington.
Where I live, we have a Community Council, this is made up from Local people, with an elected Chairman, Vice Chairman and Secretary plus a committee, taken from the Local groups.
It is very effective, you would go to there monthly meetings, tell them you're concerns, and they will look into it. Only today they have managed to halt, only for now, a new flight path from Edinburgh Airport. Obviously this is only a suggestion, but there are plenty of Local people on this Forum, quite capable of setting this up.
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 17:45   #3
Beacon of light

Less, you are wasting your time.
These 'Community Leaders' go to the mosque...you do not.
Your needs will never be recognised or met because as far as the 'community leaders' are concerned...you are NOT, nor ever will be part of their 'community'.

As for local politicians...councillors...I would bet my bottom dollar that the councillor who is in place for your ward goes to the mosque too.
There is as much racism(if not more) in this 'community' than in any non asian community.
They do not want you to integrate with them any more than they want to integrate into the general society.
They live by different rules, they operate on a different level.
The council cannot be seen not to have these 'communities' pandered to...to have their needs fully and comprehensively catered for....and as for the rest of the folk who do not fit into that particularly community...well they aren't ethnics, so they do not matter.

Now before anyone screams the R word at me...I am saying what I can see with my own eyes...and as far as I am concerned, telling the truth is not racist...but (the institutional/constitutional - if that is the right term) treatment of non muslims who live in these muslim enclaves IS.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 22-09-2017 at 17:47.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 17:59   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Margaret I know my time is wasted, our glorious M.P. for example would rather have a photo op with unelected 'community leaders' than consider the real needs of the indiginous population (it gets him more votes).

As for the R word?

Perhaps it's time we did consider our own race first rather than worry about ruffling a few brown feathers?

Being polite and allowing them their point of view seems to be limiting my freedom as each day goes by!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 18:04   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

If so called Community Leaders are failing to inform the "Whole Community" then who is responsible for the appointment of these people? for starters!! because as far as i'm concerned if this practice has gone on for many years, then they should be "REMOVED" from this position and people appointed that will look after the "Whole Community"
Old 22-09-2017, 19:39   #6
Beacon of light

Those who play the race card do it to deflect any discussion.
Nothing shuts down a discussion quicker than labelling people with something that is considered 'unacceptable'.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Old 23-09-2017, 07:56   #7
God Member

the truth is out there. we can see it wherever we live but for some reason they don,t like us telling it. integration will never happen. just another pie in the sky idea formed by those who think they know everything by living in some leafy country village miles away from reality.
cashman and DaveinGermany like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 08:00   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
the truth is out there. we can see it wherever we live but for some reason they don,t like us telling it. integration will never happen. just another pie in the sky idea formed by those who think they know everything by living in some leafy country village miles away from reality.
Yeh but quite a few different nationalities settled here after WW2 with no problem at all, cos they integrated, quite a few were friends of mine. so whats the difference now?
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 23-09-2017, 08:14   #9
Beacon of light

Cashy, the difference is the religion/culture of the muslims...it is an east versus west thing.

I know that the Jews have a totally different culture too, but they did not come in the great waves that those from Pakistan/Bangladesh did...the Jews did not expect us to change our ways to suit their needs.
The jews also lived in enclaves...but I have never heard of a midwife being told that she was not welcome in a jewish area....the jews quietly got on with their lives, they continued to follow their religious and cultural rules without asking for any special favours...they integrated.
That is the difference.
Old 23-09-2017, 08:27   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
so whats the difference now?
The sense of entitlement, the attitude of disdain & their overbearing belief that their way is the only way as all others are irrelevant & inferior. They haven't come to integrate they've come to dominate & it's all in their Ali's Snackbar bumper book of fun!
Old 23-09-2017, 08:35   #11
Beacon of light

Yes, Son...those thoughts were in my mind too.
But I hesitated from saying them as I think that sometime I might be perceived as one of those far right wing supporters.
I am not.
I will happily live(and have worked alongside those with different cultures - this was long before it was known as multi-culturalism or diversity) with those who respect the culture we have, respect our tolerant ways, but do not take advantage of them and consider us a soft touch because of our tolerance.
KiTChener likes this.
Old 23-09-2017, 09:12   #12
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
But I hesitated from saying them as I think that sometime I might be perceived as one of those far right wing supporters.
And that comprehensibly defines why the lefties scream & shout it at every opportunity, their reliance on its usage is slowly losing its potency with time as more & more people become blasé about the connotations due to its over usage. Whiny liberals lefties object as a Pavlovian drooling response when they're triggered & that is at virtually at everything that doesn't suit their agenda.

That being the case, bring it on, let them shout racist, bigot, xenophobe & nazi as loudly & as often as they like as it just makes me smile all the more because I know it's getting right up their she-ite covered, snivelling snouts!
Old 23-09-2017, 09:27   #13
Beacon of light

Yes son, you are right.
The population have almost been brainwashed into what the left see ar 'right thinking'.
I still have the power of independent thought....I can see with my own eyes what is happening in my own locale(and know that if it is happening here then it is also happening elsewhere)....but while I can be considered gobby and outspoken...I thnk that on here my inferences have been grasped without actually spelling it out.
I know that what I am thinking, either you, or Cashy will put very eloquently into the vernacular...and you both do it so much better than me.
KiTChener and cashman like this.
Old 23-09-2017, 10:13   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes son, you are right.
The population have almost been brainwashed into what the left see ar 'right thinking'.
I still have the power of independent thought....I can see with my own eyes what is happening in my own locale(and know that if it is happening here then it is also happening elsewhere)....but while I can be considered gobby and outspoken...I thnk that on here my inferences have been grasped without actually spelling it out.
I know that what I am thinking, either you, or Cashy will put very eloquently into the vernacular...and you both do it so much better than me.
I dont think fer 1 min i do it better Margaret, its only cos i dont give a crap and just say plainly what i see and believe, some dont like that, and some dont give a monkeys if they dont.
KiTChener likes this.
Old 23-09-2017, 10:16   #15
Beacon of light

Well, I beg to differ...you do do it better...and it is because you 'don't give a monkey's'
You know that those who know you will accept you for the person you are...and that is something to hang onto.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..