Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2018, 09:33   #31
Beacon of light

Re: Accrington is Dead!

So now Lord Hague has thrown his hat into the ring and made the suggestion that cannabis should be legalised....that the drug war is lost.

The drug war is not lost, it has been surrendered by an unwilling police force.
A law is only as good as the policing of it. A toothless law is a useless law.
If it is not actively and vigorously policed then it just might as well not be there at all.

What other illegal practices are going to be ditched because the police have neither the time nor the inclination to pursue those who are breaking the law?
Is the legalisation of a psychoactive drug just a way for governments to extract another level of tax from users?
Will this pay for enough care needs to deal with the mental health issues (well recognised and documented) that users may suffer from?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-06-2018, 10:55   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Hague has demonstrated what has always been my opinion of the man, A Complete Pillock. In fact he could well be related to one of our members imho.

Last edited by cashman; 19-06-2018 at 10:57.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 11:37   #33
Beacon of light

It seems that what he is advocating is taking the line of least resistance....doing nothing.

The Police are too busy....doing what? Wearing politically correct rainbow epaulettes, doing a Ramadan fast, all these antics devalue our opinions of the police and the work they do.

Not pursuing drug dealers is a crazy move.
Old 26-06-2018, 06:07   #34
Senior Member+

did somone poke kx with a stick recently?

Its all be said and done. Whos, Whats and the Whys. Its been flogged to death like a rabid dog....
Old 26-06-2018, 06:54   #35
Beacon of light

Yes, it has but Kx is ever the opportunist.
Ready to take the cause he shouts for and tag it onto a valid case for the MEDICAL use of what is a mind altering drug.
It is useful for this type of epilepsy purely because it IS a mind altering drug....except in this instance it repairs a damaged mind(albeit temporarily) rather than damaging a normal mind when used by a healthy (brainwise) individual.
He will never subscribe to these facts though....so expect it to come up again and again....like a dandelion, except less pretty.
Old 26-06-2018, 06:55   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post

Its all be said and done. Whos, Whats and the Whys. Its been flogged to death like a rabid dog....
make allowances probably just come out of his latest stupor.
Old 17-09-2018, 16:16   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post

No I don't have rabies! It's just that it's been in the news a lot of late.

I'm not sure it should be legalized recreationally, but there is lot of people taking these other drugs like spice - former so called "legal highs" - that are much more dangerous and turn people into like zombies - but nothing is legal now they are illegal because they changed the law in 2016 - but it's a hard situation really - better the devil you know than the one you don't?

Last edited by kestrelx; 17-09-2018 at 16:19.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 01:52   #38

You could try putting the devil behind you...
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 08:27   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Little chance Dot, thats common sense.
Old 18-09-2018, 08:48   #40
Beacon of light

This latest post from Kestrelx has some valid points in it....so why do I feel he is being disingenuous.....or no, let us call it what it is....lying.
The true bits are about the use of the so called 'legal' highs.
It is so sad to see young people in the grip of this powerful chemical.
However, it begs the question as to how they got there....and I would bet a pound to a penny that ALL of them started out smoking cannabis.

The other reason why I think Kestrelx is telling porkies is....for so long he banged on about the recreational use of cannabis....how it should be legalised, how it was acceptable, how it was no more harmful than alcohol....in fact if my memory serves me rightly....he tried to tell us it was far less harmful than alcohol.

Now, I am not saying that alcohol, tobacco, caffeine or any other chemical habit is blameless....but what I am saying is that the use of these recreational activities does lead down the path to the use of dangerous drugs.

So this about turn from the poster is to be treated with some scepticism.
cashman likes this.
Old 18-09-2018, 09:05   #41
Beacon of light

The last sentence in my post should read ' dies NOT lead down the path to the use of dangerous drugs'.
Old 19-09-2018, 12:42   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Is that what you say when you spill the salt?
Old 19-09-2018, 12:51   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
This latest post from Kestrelx has some valid points in it....so why do I feel he is being disingenuous.....or no, let us call it what it is....lying.
The true bits are about the use of the so called 'legal' highs.
It is so sad to see young people in the grip of this powerful chemical.
However, it begs the question as to how they got there....and I would bet a pound to a penny that ALL of them started out smoking cannabis.

The other reason why I think Kestrelx is telling porkies is....for so long he banged on about the recreational use of cannabis....how it should be legalised, how it was acceptable, how it was no more harmful than alcohol....in fact if my memory serves me rightly....he tried to tell us it was far less harmful than alcohol.

Now, I am not saying that alcohol, tobacco, caffeine or any other chemical habit is blameless....but what I am saying is that the use of these recreational activities does lead down the path to the use of dangerous drugs.

So this about turn from the poster is to be treated with some scepticism.
I don't smoke tobacco, or cannabis. Alcohol is also very bad drug - you can buy liter whiskey or vodka, drink a lot of it and get in the same state as heavy drugs, but legally. I gave up on alcohol as well.

There was a program last year called "Gone to Pot" with various celebs travelling round USA looking into Cannabis.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/...tcher-11516602

Two who you wouldn't have thought, said that perhaps it should be made legal - but the one thing they all said that was bad about it is that it's hard to gauge how strong it is and one person may react differently to another from the same dose.

I don't know if we should legalise it anymore - there are lot of questions.
Old 19-09-2018, 13:27   #44
Beacon of light

I did see that program....it did not impress me....or change my thoughts on the use of this substance.

Yes, you can buy alcohol and get off your face on it.....and some people do it.
It has a lot to answer for...but it has been available since the dawn of time.
It has been used and misused during that time.
In the US it was made illegal for a period of time.
It did not stop its' use.
Tobacco and alcohol are very large revenue generators for government coffers....so they will not bring in measures to curb the use.

Drinking alcohol and smoking tobacco does not(in the main) lead to the use of hard drugs.

Legalising these substances will not limit their use....the government would very likely tax it and this would still leave a market for illegal stuff.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 19-09-2018, 13:56   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I did see that program....it did not impress me....or change my thoughts on the use of this substance.

Yes, you can buy alcohol and get off your face on it.....and some people do it.
It has a lot to answer for...but it has been available since the dawn of time.
It has been used and misused during that time.
In the US it was made illegal for a period of time.
It did not stop its' use.
Tobacco and alcohol are very large revenue generators for government coffers....so they will not bring in measures to curb the use.

Drinking alcohol and smoking tobacco does not(in the main) lead to the use of hard drugs.

Legalising these substances will not limit their use....the government would very likely tax it and this would still leave a market for illegal stuff.
Cannabis has been around since the dawn of time. Yes alcohol was made illegal in the USA but people then started drinking bootlegged drink and the same thing happened - that a lot of people died.

I would argue that smoking does lead for some to smoke other drugs and get onto harder drugs as does alcohol. But it's the addictive personality that gets into other drugs.

There is still illegal market for alcohol and tobacco.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..