Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2018, 04:20   #1

Waste of OUR money?

I wonder what accywebbers think of the new recycling bins.Are they a waste of money?.Where do you store your FOUR bins?.The council's argument is that they will stop rubbish blowing about on windy days.My opinion is,use your brain...if it's windy wedge your bags,don't over fill them and they will not spill.
Some people have the opinion 'it's the council's job to clean the mess up' I think people should take pride in their surroundings and pick up any spillage, maybe then OUR council would have no excuse for wasting our council tax.
boxermum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-06-2018, 05:52   #2
God Member

Re: Waste of OUR money?

I for one think they're a good idea, I'm lucky enough to have space in my backyard for my 3 bins but I realise some people might struggle with the amount of room they take up.
Mine will be colleted from the back too, which for me is a big improvement on the bags & box system
cashman likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 06:34   #3
Senior Member+

I think they`re a good idea too, I doubt the empty bins will get blown away like the empty bags do.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 06:37   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

This should have been introduced in the first place,as far as i'm concerned, we have little room but its much better than the bags, also as accymad said its better collecting from the back, rather than carting stuff around the front. my daughter has had this system for at least 10 yrs and much prefers it.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 14-06-2018, 07:35   #5
Senior Member+

I certainly welcome the new bins. Much easier to open the lid and drop your recycle things inside.
I hated going out to my sacks with papers and plastic and pulling them open and dropping things.
I doubt as a single occupant that I will be putting mine out every time they are due to be emptied they are so big.
I have sympathy though for people who have limited space for the bins.
And did you know that there are 24 different ways to line up your coloured bins?
Old 14-06-2018, 14:32   #6

I think the new bins are much better. Recycled paper and cardboard always got soaking wet when they were in the sacks, even with a lid on the blue box.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 14:57   #7
Beacon of light

You can apply for a smaller size of bin if you have only a small storage space.
At the moment I was told that these are in short supply and are being allocated to the disabled first.

The bins have got to be better than seeing all the recycling blown all over the roads because people have not secured the sacks properly....and on windy days the cans blew out of the blue boxes.
And as Michael says handling soggy wet cardboard can have been no fun at all for the men on the wagons.
The bins also will be lifted mechanically rather than the operatives having to lift boxes and bags.

Yes, finding space for them might be an issue, but it is an issue that can be solved.
cashman likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 17:54   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I seem to remember, (possibly because I've reached the age were yesterday means nothing but something from a long, long time ago has taken it's place), that the reason we ended up with bags and a box being emptied at the front was because the first set of recycling lorries were purchased before it was realised that they couldn't operate in our back allies as they were side loading.
That is why we had to put stuff out the front. Now, a new set of wagons? Rather than say we are rectifying a mistake that a six year old could have pointed out, they claim it's because they are answering to public demand, had there not been this stupid error we would perhaps have had bins from the beginning and the extra expense of replacing bags would never have happened?

Would it be possible for someone from the Council to honestly either confirm or deny my decaying memories ramblings?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 19:30   #9
Beacon of light

Don't hold your breath waiting for the answer Less.
Old 16-06-2018, 19:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Don't hold your breath waiting for the answer Less.
Thanks for the advice I was starting to turn blue and getting a little light headed.
Old 16-06-2018, 20:12   #11
Beacon of light

I know you...you rascal..you just wanted someone to come along and give you 'the kiss of life'
Old 16-06-2018, 20:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I know you...you rascal..you just wanted someone to come along and give you 'the kiss of life'
These days, I'd be lucky if they just pushed me into a corner so that no-one trips over me.
Old 17-06-2018, 16:57   #13
Senior Member+

I have only got one concern - glass bottles and jars being dropped into a bin will inevitably result in breakages. I just hope that any broken glass isn't left in the streets/roads.
KiTChener and maxthecollie like this.
Old 20-06-2018, 15:04   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I have only got one concern - glass bottles and jars being dropped into a bin will inevitably result in breakages. I just hope that any broken glass isn't left in the streets/roads.
Depends on how you throw your bottles into the bin, must say with the old bag system never saw bottles blowing in the wind.
Twas always plastic & paper.
Old 20-06-2018, 19:36   #15

I have a multitude of recycling bins, 1 for general waste, 2 recycling ones, a cardboard/paper one and a garden waste one. 2 of them make for handy garden storage
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..