Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2018, 21:47   #31

Re: Sugar tax

Remember at school there was always a fat kid. The rest of us were like racing snakes because we were given proper home cooked food. Not this processed ****e which is full of chemicals and also actually has a little bit of real food in it somewhere.
Then there are the over paid egg heads sponsored to right studies to produce the death knell of the week. And this week oily fish yup omega 3 is now officially no good for you. ****** Ive been eating the stuff for years oily fish and salad, love the stuff. Despite having the heart of a lion I've been wasting my time. All the years I've been doing my bit to keep the ticker well oiled and now some poncey egg head in a white coat lacking vitamin D says I've been wasting my time. he could have told me forty years ago! But then water , salt , newspapers , breathing was bad for you. I just wish they had said so then and I could have had my fill of crap food, loaded with junk. By now I could have been clinically obese with my own council go kart complete with popemobile for me to drive it into, I could be claiming all sorts of benefits off the raddish and still have had the heart of a lion albeit a dead one.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 19-07-2018, 09:42   #32
God Member

me and my sister were both fat kids when we were 8 or nine. once into our teens we both stretched and became slim. they would have sent us both to food boot camp nowadays and for what. think if there is a world wide glut of certain foods they will be good for you and bad if there was a shortage. never believe owt experts say.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 12:44   #33
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
Remember at school there was always a fat kid. The rest of us were like racing snakes because we were given proper home cooked food. Not this processed ****e which is full of chemicals and also actually has a little bit of real food in it somewhere.
Then there are the over paid egg heads sponsored to right studies to produce the death knell of the week. And this week oily fish yup omega 3 is now officially no good for you. ****** Ive been eating the stuff for years oily fish and salad, love the stuff. Despite having the heart of a lion I've been wasting my time. All the years I've been doing my bit to keep the ticker well oiled and now some poncey egg head in a white coat lacking vitamin D says I've been wasting my time. he could have told me forty years ago! But then water , salt , newspapers , breathing was bad for you. I just wish they had said so then and I could have had my fill of crap food, loaded with junk. By now I could have been clinically obese with my own council go kart complete with popemobile for me to drive it into, I could be claiming all sorts of benefits off the raddish and still have had the heart of a lion albeit a dead one.
BJ..I think you have to console yourself with the fact that you are still here...So what you are doing has to be the right thing for you.
( We are all individuals, so the one size fits all approach is wrong straight away)
I take absolutely no notice of research because I know it(in the main) is flawed.

You have to ask yourself WHO did the research? (did they have a point to prove or a product to sell?).
WHY was it done?
HOW was it done...meaning what was the criteria for inclusion into the study(the criteria will ultimately affect the result, as will the exclusion of some participants).

Way back in the 70's we were told to avoid fat...especially butter....we were advised to avoid dairy products and eggs.
Now we are told that had we consumed the natural products then the level of type 2 diabetes may not have burgeoned in the way that it has.

What is an expert anyway. It is usually someone who has invested themselves with this titler because they feel their university education permits it.
In my book X marks the spot and a spurt is a drip under pressure.

I will continue to eat what i like....when I like, but in moderation.
I know this is the right way to go about things...well, it IS for me.
Less, cashman, dotti34 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 19-07-2018 at 12:49.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 12:50   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I have always ate what i like, am not the worlds biggest eater,so suppose that constitutes moderation? expert means expert at separating people from their money, in my book. they are full of crap which many fall for.
Old 19-07-2018, 23:44   #35

I think most of the surveys are a bit of a joke – though not a funny one. Whatever the flavour of the month is – or what there is a glut of, the so-called ‘evidence’ shows it is good for you irrespective of the fact that next week you’ll read that you shouldn’t touch it with a bargepole.

On a serious note though it’s sad to think of all the money spent conning gullible people (and there’s plenty of those) about the merits of whatever manufacturers want people to believe. Money that could be better spent, for instance, in research for medical cures rather than so-called research on what we should be putting into our bodies.

I will now finish off the Cadbury’s bar that one week last year (or was it the year before?) was given the thumbs up as to its healthy properties. Now I really did believe that research….and as for the research that assured me wine was a good thing, well I’ll drink to that.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 14:32   #36
God Member

[QUOTE=dotti34;1214958]I think most of the surveys are a bit of a joke – though not a funny one. Whatever the flavour of the month is –

the problem with these expert findings is that i suppose many believe em all. feel a bit sorry for em really having to live their life in constant fear of eating or doing the wrong thing just incase it reduced their time in a care home.
Old 01-08-2018, 20:10   #37

Did anyone see Mondays Panorama entitled get rich or die young. Based in Stockton which is only a couple of miles from me where because of poverty you will die 20 years younger. Test case a guy in his forties, overweight, heavy smoker, junk food eater, suffering from emphysema, type two diabetes, hernia, given six months to live. Has eight kids and what are they tucking into for dinner kebab, pizza and chips!!! If you havet seen it worth a watch.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:26   #38
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Did anyone see Mondays Panorama entitled get rich or die young. Based in Stockton which is only a couple of miles from me where because of poverty you will die 20 years younger. Test case a guy in his forties, overweight, heavy smoker, junk food eater, suffering from emphysema, type two diabetes, hernia, given six months to live. Has eight kids and what are they tucking into for dinner kebab, pizza and chips!!! If you havet seen it worth a watch.
So if he wins the lottery within the next 6 months, will that save his life?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:19   #39
God Member

[QUOTE=Big Joe;1215378]Did anyone see Mondays Panorama entitled get rich or die young. Based in Stockton which is only a couple of miles from me where because of poverty you will die 20 years younger.

think this has always been the case but for different reasons nowadays. those who did hard manual labour were old before their time. lack of money meant their wives were always scrimping and saving on everything. there was not the modern day fast foods around but i knew of kids who had their best meal when they were at school. funny though the pubs never shut down then and i remember queues waiting for opening time on sundays. has junk food taken over from ale for those who are poorer.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:39   #40
Beacon of light

Quote:
I did not see this show.
Shows like this infuriate me...they manipulate the facts, choose a subject that will illustrate the assumption perfectly and some viewers will swallow whole what the program puts out.

This man has made some bad life style choices....and he perpetuates these in his offspring.

Are there no budget supermarkets in Stockton?
You know...Aldi(good fruit and veg at cheap prices) Lidl....who also do budget ranges of healthy food.

It is about being too idle to buy in food that requires preparation...preferring to buy ready cooked stuff(with god knows what additives in)...so the power is in this man's hands.

Good Morning Britain had a similar section this morning....about putting scary labels on 'bad' foods.
They think that putting scary labels on unhealthy food will change eating habits....they think it will reduce childhood obesity.
It won't.
The only thing which will have any effect on Childhood(or any other types of obesity) is to get back to cooking good wholesome food. Stopping children from glugging down fizzy drinks at every opportunity(even the low sugar and no sugar versions are bad).
Parents taking responsibility for what goes into their children's bellies.
Making sure that children get active is also a factor.
Food is only unhealthy if you over indulge.
Less, cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:42   #41
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
So if he wins the lottery within the next 6 months, will that save his life?
No...not a chance...well I cannot see him spending the money on a personal trainer or gym membership.
He is far more likely to order a larger pizza and an extra bag of fries.
Old 02-08-2018, 13:52   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I did not see this show.
Shows like this infuriate me...they manipulate the facts, choose a subject that will illustrate the assumption perfectly and some viewers will swallow whole what the program puts out.

This man has made some bad life style choices....and he perpetuates these in his offspring.

Are there no budget supermarkets in Stockton?
You know...Aldi(good fruit and veg at cheap prices) Lidl....who also do budget ranges of healthy food.

It is about being too idle to buy in food that requires preparation...preferring to buy ready cooked stuff(with god knows what additives in)...so the power is in this man's hands.

Good Morning Britain had a similar section this morning....about putting scary labels on 'bad' foods.
They think that putting scary labels on unhealthy food will change eating habits....they think it will reduce childhood obesity.
It won't.
The only thing which will have any effect on Childhood(or any other types of obesity) is to get back to cooking good wholesome food. Stopping children from glugging down fizzy drinks at every opportunity(even the low sugar and no sugar versions are bad).
Parents taking responsibility for what goes into their children's bellies.
Making sure that children get active is also a factor.
Food is only unhealthy if you over indulge.
I agree wholeheartedly with all you've said, one of the so called 'slimming' ads on TV really gets my goat, good wholesome ready meals delivered to your door, no, don't give in to such twonk, get off your backside peel a few veg and have a 20 minute walk around your kitchen cooking, better exercise than just opening a cardboard box and microwaving isn't it? Maybe then you'll have some self worth and consider why your known as fatties.
Old 02-08-2018, 14:01   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No...not a chance...well I cannot see him spending the money on a personal trainer or gym membership.
He is far more likely to order a larger pizza and an extra bag of fries.
Well I ain't rich and I'm fast becoming not young, maybe there are a few porkies being told about idiots and their lifestyles?
Mine wouldn't suit everyone but it does at least include the occasional sensible meal prepared by me in between my visits to the pub.
Let's be honest, the documentary makers need these losers, it would be as boring as hell for them to follow me around for a few days, better to have an extreme that we can all say I'm glad I'm not that bad.
Old 02-08-2018, 14:08   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Lets put it bluntly! Its all about "Couldn't careless Parents" in my book.
Old 02-08-2018, 20:05   #45
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Well I ain't rich and I'm fast becoming not young, maybe there are a few porkies being told about idiots and their lifestyles?
Mine wouldn't suit everyone but it does at least include the occasional sensible meal prepared by me in between my visits to the pub.
Let's be honest, the documentary makers need these losers, it would be as boring as hell for them to follow me around for a few days, better to have an extreme that we can all say I'm glad I'm not that bad.
It would be even more boring if they followed me around Less.

We are all individuals. Grown ups.
I do not need anyone to police my lifestyle, let alone regulate what I am permitted to eat and drink.
If I want a sugary snack....I will have one(but I won't make a habit of it)
I have a very large Easter egg on my kitchen counter....it is unopened...but if I wanted to scoff it, then I would.....and sod the consequences.
monkey hanger likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..