Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree105Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2018, 05:25   #16
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Political Correctness, again!

Sadly pc is an insidious disease creeping through & inflicting society, you've probably seen these adverts on the UK telly for the Army

https://www.breitbart.com/london/201...-disciplinary/

The "Brass" according to the article are obviously infected & incurable. I'm pretty sure your average trooper, section commander, running a patrol through an enemy area (especially in a mad mullah region) would most definitely have some "Choice" words to say on the subject of taking time out for their minority to sniff a rug, while his brethren are waiting round the corner with their AK's & RPG's.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:14   #17
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
In December, defence minister Gavin Williamson intervened to stop Army top brass from scrapping its “Be The Best” slogan because it was deemed “dated, elitist, and non-inclusive”.

Perhaps if they changed it to

"Be the mediocre, gender neutral, gay and we'll promise not to fight on Fridays".
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:54   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Seems they are making a big deal oer Boris Johnson saying "Letterboxes" what a load of crap, everyone i know calls em that, its no big deal, nothing nasty meant by it,
hilleluk and monkey hanger like this.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

Perhaps if they changed it to

"Be the mediocre, gender neutral, gay and we'll promise not to fight on Fridays".
A slight correction (though it doesn't matter because in this P.C. world being right all the time is a disadvantage).

"Be the mediocre, gender neutral, gay, we'll promise not to fight on Fridays and we now have disabled parking on the parade ground".
Old 07-08-2018, 08:35   #20
God Member

[QUOTE=Barrie Yates;1215662]The majority of servicemen (whoops), are given nicknames early on in their service life which tends to stick throughout their service.

was not a serviceperson{sorry** but most of us had nicknames where i was a bus driver. those who did not have one were the quiet types keeping themselves to themselves. getting one ever for the women working there seemed like a badge of acceptance by the others. some of the names were not all that complimentary either but no one had a hissy fit about it. good old workplace humour to get you through another shift.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 18:59   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Have just seen a good un on Facebook. it says " If bikinis are banned in muslim countries, then burquas should be banned in Europe". seems some countries have, but we aint got the balls to ban em!!
Old 08-08-2018, 19:29   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Have just seen a good un on Facebook. it says " If bikinis are banned in muslim countries, then burquas should be banned in Europe". seems some countries have, but we aint got the balls to ban em!!
Must admit, I've never been turned on by an overweight 45 year old guy in a bikini, but wow! those burkas, they must be hiding something really amazing, bring them on.
Old 08-08-2018, 21:36   #23
Beacon of light

However unpalatable it might seem, I think Boris has said what many people think, but are reluctant to say.
The full fave covering is not acceptable, but the way he criticised it was a bit daft....and he left himself open to censure.
If someone in a motor bike helmet went into a bank or a shop, they would require that person to remove it.

It is not a religious requirement, it is cultural and you can go to countries where the predominant religion is Muslim and not see as many of these face veils as you do in Blackburn.
If you come to live in a western country, then you need to adopt western dress....it does not
have to be immodest.
Community cohesion is difficult to achieve if half of the ethnic culture wear clothing that acts as a barrier.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:57   #24
Senior Member+

In Tesco Extra there is a notice as you enter stating "Crash helmets must be removed", or words to that effect. It is natural to assume that this is for security reasons but a Niqab (the face veil), is allowed. In my opinion the niqab is more of a security problem and has already been used in the escape of a terrorist from the law.
I think BJ is wrong to call them Letter Boxes - Letter boxes are red.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:07   #25
Senior Member+

I wonder what would happen if a person in a full face crash helmet followed a person wearing a full face burka into the supermarket.
That would put the security in a bit of a dilemma.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:57   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
they,d be banned pretty quickly if methodists or baptists decided on some form of face covering.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:15   #27

I read the article in the Telegraph twice, there was not one word in it that I found offensive. Everything he wrote is what most people agree with. Hope he does not apologise
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:22   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Doubt very much if he will, he is well aware of public opinion, which is "WHY" he said it in my view.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:13   #29
Beacon of light

I hope he does not apologise. He was clumsy in the way he articulated his points....but he was saying what most of us think.
He was being factual, not anti Islamic or racist.
Those who aim these criticisms at him are just shutting down any kind of discussion.

The Niqab and the Burqa are ways to make women invisible...unrecognisable as members of society.
They prevent any kind of communication and are barriers to cohesion.
What a woman in a burqa is saying(whether she believes it or not) is that she does not want to be part of OUR everyday life....she does not want us to recognise her, smile at her or accept her into our lives or society.
So how is that empowering?
She is also saying that she does not trust the men in society to be able to control their base instincts.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:30   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
She is also saying that she does not trust the men in society to be able to control their base instincts.
Ah yes, the dreaded Base instincts, the reason we have to have locks on bathroom doors.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..