Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2018, 15:18   #1
Beacon of light

TV licence scam.

There is a TV licence scam doing the rounds.
I know most of the Accyweb members are savvy, but feel that a 'heads up' is always a good idea.

http://app.uktvlicenses.com/l/iGpp5j...74c91xSJWHy12g

So if you receive an e-mail that says your direct debit has failed....delete it.
It is a scam
Less, KiTChener, MITZY and 2 others like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-12-2018, 16:27   #2
Beacon of light

Re: TV licence scam.

This e-mail originates from an e-mail address of [email protected].
So not the right address for TV licensing.
I tried to post an image of the actual e-mail but it will not load.
I might try again later from my desktop machine.
Old 16-12-2018, 18:22   #3
Beacon of light

This is a screenshot of the actual e-mail.
I just hope it helps folk avoid getting sucked in by scammer....although they should be called scammers...because they are pure scum.
It looks kosher...but do not be fooled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2676.JPG (261.6 KB, 13 views)
KiTChener, flashy, cashman and 1 others like this.
Old 17-12-2018, 04:54   #4

Thanks for the warning Margaret
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 06:10   #5
Beacon of light

You are most Welcome.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 17-12-2018, 16:48   #6
God Member

Given that it funds the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation, the TV Licence has been a scam for some time.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 17:29   #7
Beacon of light

Yes, you are right, but it is a government sponsored scam, rather than a scummers scam.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 17-12-2018, 19:29   #8
Senior Member+

One consolation of growing older is the free TV licence.
I’m on my second three year one now.
How long it will continue is anybody’s guess.
Old 17-12-2018, 22:58   #9
Senior Member+

Got a text purporting to be from Paypal saying my account had been closed and I must contact a web address they provided. Sure it was a scam so contacted Paypal direct gave them the information and they have passed it onto the Authorities. Do not open any web sites that you receive similar to that.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 20-12-2018, 01:23   #10
God Member

i got a letter from some company called the BBC saying i had not renewed my TV license

i knew this was a scam straight away as i have never had one

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 12:56   #11

Reading this brought back a memory of about six years ago...We pay our licence fee by standing order, one day I was cancelling a standing order, by mistake I cancelled the bbc one...I won't tell you what I said but the second thought was I will come back to it.

We had a rather old TV it weighed a ton, took two people to lift it. The sky box had a tendency to freeze, this happened again on a beautiful sunny summer day... My grandson and husband managed to pull it to the middle of the living room floor.cursing and swearing and my contribution being, stop the language, and a small row erupted, not an unusual occurrence in our house... The door bell went I opened it without closing the living room door, two men were standing there folder in hand, BBC Licencing written over there jackets...Do you have a television, he said, well I could hardly say no, it was in the middle of the floor...I asked them to come in, It's a serious offence not to have a licence, I know that I said. explained to him what had happened, You could go to court for not having one, my patience was put to the test,,,Look I will set up a direct debit as soon as possible, as far as a going to Court you really should not threaten people...Never heard from them again
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 12:11   #12
God Member

You got off lightly, Hilleluk.
We haven’t had a telly for 30+ years and, every month without fail, get a letter from the private company that the BBC uses to chase non payers.
The letters come in four formats. First is to the occupier, the second is a warning, the third is a threat of a visit, the fourth is red with the threat of legal action....the fifth is to the occupier,...ad nauseam.
We’ve told them years ago we didn’t have a telly but it didn’t stop the letters.
I take consolation that, as i hope is the case, the BBC is billed for every letter sent out and that’s a few quid they can’t spend on shouty idiots.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 15:16   #13
Beacon of light

Since My Ma died I have had all four of the formats of the letter.
This, despite me letting them know that my mum had died and the house was empty and awaiting a buyer.
It is a kind of harassment that is unwarranted...especially as I have given them the information that the place is unoccupied.
Old 21-12-2018, 19:18   #14
Full Member+

I've also had no tv for around 30 years - and I still get these letters every month, they go straight into the recycle bin. The letters are an harassment and are worded in such a way as they assume you're watching tv programmes and therefore guilty. Recently I've considered sending them back (without a stamp) as I consider them the same as junk mail.

Besides, you can have a tv without needing a license as long as you don't watch/record any live broadcasted programmes or use the BBC iPlayer.
Old 21-12-2018, 20:48   #15
Beacon of light

They most certainly are a harassment, especially when you look at the tone of the language used. They assume that you have a receiver....they issue threats about sending and inspector round....and they issue legal threats without having any evidence that you are using a service for which you have no licence.

I would put them back in the mailbox unopened with my name and address blanked out.

After the last series of letters I phoned them(not an easy task) and asked them to stop sending the letters as the property was empty, that the owner had died, that the house was on the market and awaiting a buyer.
I told them that once the place was sold I would notify them(not that I would have).

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..