Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2019, 19:28   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Free TV licences for the over 75's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 View Post
I found it via MSN on the Express website, but as you say stats can be manipulated.
These stats certainly seemto have been.
Old 12-06-2019, 20:12   #17
Beacon of light

And that is lying.....not what you should be dealing with from the broadcaster paid for by us....the public.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 01:04   #18
Full Member+

It's not exactly lying 52% were in favour of reforming or abolishing free licence scheme, but it's not exactly telling the truth either in that 48% wanted no change.

To be honest it's just more vulnerable people for the TVL goons to exploit and get a conviction from.... or get to buy a licence when it's not needed.

I've been getting their threatograms from TV Licencing for almost 20 years now at my current address, which all go in the recycled paper bin unopened...
Old 13-06-2019, 06:12   #19

As far as I know, bar the printing and posting of a bit of paper it doesn't really cost the BBC anything to give the free licenses.

If all the old folks that currently have a free license stopped watching then the BBC's profits will not fall 1 penny.

However I guess that they desperately need to recoup some funds after all those that are stopping paying for the license (because its an unwanted tax and often unnecessary).
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 08:46   #20
God Member

how much will it actually bring in i,d like to know. not all over 75,s will pay as its per household. those in care homes will not pay and not sure if those in sheltered accomodation flats will pay or not. is it really worth winding up part of the population where if they wanted to make cuts they could reduce wages and the number of people they use in news broadcasts.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 08:51   #21
Beacon of light

Quote:
It's not exactly lying 52% were in favour of reforming or abolishing free licence scheme, but it's not exactly telling the truth either in that 48% wanted no change.

To be honest it's just more vulnerable people for the TVL goons to exploit and get a conviction from.... or get to buy a licence when it's not needed.

I've been getting their threatograms from TV Licencing for almost 20 years now at my current address, which all go in the recycled paper bin unopened...
So sneakily manipulating the figures is not lying?
It is misrepresentation on a grand scale
Only 15% of those surveyed wanted to abolish the concession.
The other 37% wanted the licence to be abolished for all.
But this was not what would fill the coffers of the BBC....so some other un-named sneaky person(at least we KNOW George Osborne was sneaky and he put his name to his sins).
It fitted the BBCs agenda to muddy the water regarding the figures....it gives them a financial advantage.
It means the the older people who were entitled to a free TV licence will now be asked to pay into the pot to fund the hefty salaries of those like Gary Lineker et al....who were part of tax avoidance schemes.....and the BBC was complicit in these.
It means that pensioners who may miss out on a free TV licence because they are too,proud to claim pension credit will be paying for the luxurious pensions of those who are already rich(and tax avoiders...but that is another discussion).
So, personally I consider the BBC to be dishonest.

The BBC was once a watchword for great programs, unbiased news and a full and honest public service vehicle in broadcasting. Now it offers more repeats than new programs , it support and promotes certain political perspectives and pays untalented people ludicrous sums for substandard tripe(I cite Jo Brand here)
It can no longer be considered that.
Old 13-06-2019, 08:57   #22
Beacon of light

Prisoners...criminals get to watch TV at no cost to themselves....but pensioners over 75 have to pay.
These 75 year olds had an impoverished childhood...they did without many things....they worked(because work was honourable...and if you did not work then you did not eat) and in their old age when they should get some comfort and support, they are asked to cough up for a TV licence.

Somehow, we have got it all ar$e uppards.
Old 13-06-2019, 11:12   #23
God Member

concessions at football matches. one lancashire club afc fylde have started this already, the bus passes. mind you we,re all loaded, a new car every year on top of our SAGA cruse in the sun.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 09:17   #24
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I too put them straight in the bin.
Had one of their Gestapo appear at my door yesterday, he said,'all you have to do is go on line and tell the Beeb you don't need a licence', my reply was, 'All I have to do is buggernowt, I don't need to tell them anything', 'Ah yes' said he, 'but if you tell them I won't be calling to check on you'.
'I don't give a monkies if you call or not', it's your time and their resources your wasting, plus, a few years ago I did tell them, the letters & calls stopped for about six months then started again just to check if my circumstances have changed, they don't need to check, they will know when my circumstances change I'll buy a licence'.

It must be a frustrating job checking for non payers now that they aren't allowed to use the big con of a detector van.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 09:57   #25
Beacon of light

When my mum died I let all the agencies know that she was no longer with us...including the TVL.
The house was not sold for almost a year.
After six months I had a very intimidatory letter telling me that I could expect a visit from someone to check that the house was unoccupied and no TV services were being used.
It upset me, because I felt that I had done everything to prevent letters like this.

I rang them up and got a very snotty woman who told me that these things were computer generated ....like that made a difference.
I told her that the investigator was welcome to come and check that the house was empty....but asked for 24 hrs notice so that I could let them in....I also suggested that they bring Wellington boots as they would be required to walk through a lot of mud (and dog dirt) to get to the house.

Thankfully, I heard nothing more from them.
Old 14-06-2019, 20:26   #26
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Had one of their Gestapo appear at my door yesterday, he said,'all you have to do is go on line and tell the Beeb you don't need a licence', my reply was, 'All I have to do is buggernowt, I don't need to tell them anything', 'Ah yes' said he, 'but if you tell them I won't be calling to check on you'.

You need to be careful what you say to the licencing goons, Ian Doyle who worked at Capita as part of the BBC outsourced licence enforcement, said he could get enough info for a conviction from a customer within 40 seconds....

Best to say nothing, sign nothing and shut the door.
Old 14-06-2019, 20:43   #27
Beacon of light

He wasn't a braggart then.
Old 14-06-2019, 20:48   #28
Beacon of light

I am sure that I have read that it costs more to chase dodgers than they got back in fees.

If the BBC were not so sure of taking in fees then perhaps they would be more responsible in their spending.
Old 14-06-2019, 22:44   #29
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am sure that I have read that it costs more to chase dodgers than they got back in fees.

It must be worth enough to employ external companies who get paid commission on both sales of licences and convictions.
Old 14-06-2019, 23:14   #30
Full Member+

This website has lots of info if you really want to go legally licence free:

https://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/

It boils down to this:

Don't reply or send back any threatograms, just bin them
Don't sign anything
Don't invoke the Withdrawal of Implied Right of Access (WOIRA), it just makes yo more of a target
If TVL Goons turn up and you answer the door, Say Nothing and Shut the Door
Treat the TVL as you would any cold callers, which is basically what they are.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..