Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2020, 09:52   #106
God Member

Re: Free TV licences for the over 75's

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1237714]There is no such thing as free speech.
We are not encouraged to think either...or to make critical comments about anything....We are all supposed to swallow the same pap and think the same thoughts.

thing is, has there ever been free speech as people think there is. the only thing is that things have got worse over the last few years if you do not agree with the so called liberal thinking of the land. just wondered if those who do not fully agree with this climate change new religeon are classed as trouble making cranks just in the same way as atheists and republicans were thought of when i was growing up.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-03-2020, 10:03   #107
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1237759]

On a serious note....and if you believe in the myth that is climate change

there may or maybe not climate change. how long have humans been on our planet. imagaine it has changed considerably over the years and any date that has been collected say in the last 200 years is only a minute part of the earths life. no single person can forecast the future and god help us if we go into a ten year period of very light winds and little sun to make there green electric world redundant.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:37   #108
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

to my way of thinking climate change is a load of crap, NATURE,always has been, the earth has changed many times over the centuries,when there was no traffic of any description, or much else that they now blame.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:43   #109
Beacon of light

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1237779]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
There is no such thing as free speech.
We are not encouraged to think either...or to make critical comments about anything....We are all supposed to swallow the same pap and think the same thoughts.

thing is, has there ever been free speech as people think there is. the only thing is that things have got worse over the last few years if you do not agree with the so called liberal thinking of the land. just wondered if those who do not fully agree with this climate change new religeon are classed as trouble making cranks just in the same way as atheists and republicans were thought of when i was growing up.
Of course you are right, but I have to say that the 'liberal' left are becoming less tolerant of any belief other than the ones they hold.
Previously, the society we lived in would tolerate other opinions....other ideologies, religions etc.
What is happening is that there is an organised 'Groupthink' which purports to be the norm.....any deviation from this is seen as being illeducated, thick knuckle daggers and these insults are hurled at those who do not hold the Groupthink ideals.
This is an insidiously dangerous situation.
Our children are being taught in schools WHAT to think, rather than HOW to think and critically analyse what they are told.....so fed pap, that needs no chewing.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 20:23   #110
God Member

Spot on, Margaret.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/0...r-free-speech/
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 20:49   #111
Beacon of light

I have just read through that and I agree with every word that is in it.
Many many years ago I was speaking with a colleague and one of the senior managers heard what I was saying and told me that I 'could not say that'...what she heard was perceived by her as racist...the comment I had made was not racist but a statement of fact....I got into a full blown argument(well that was what she called it - I called it a full and frank discussion)...but ever after I knew that I needed to be circumspect in how I voiced my views.

this insidious intolerance IS seen as a good thing...it has been sanitised.
The best of it is i have lived in a time when it was perfectly possible to hold a different view to someone else and still respect them for their totally different views.

Alas, that is no longer possible, the young people today know nothing different, are not taught to be critical of views and opinions....and to beleive that opinions are in some way 'facts'.
DaveinGermany and taddy like this.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:32   #112
God Member

Quote:

Alas, that is no longer possible, the young people today know nothing different, are not taught to be critical of views and opinions....and to beleive that opinions are in some way 'facts'.
actually i think we have gone full circle about young people having their own views on subjects. think modern day thinking is closer than the post war era but on different subjects. the only big problem that i got into at school was my views on religeon and the monarchy. we were still thought of as a country of church going god fearing masses who loved the queen and her family. people like me were thought of as some form of anarchists who did not deserve a point of view. it got so bad my father had to meet the headmaster of my local grammar school to save me from expulsion, something only reserved for the worst of physical bullies of the time.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 13-07-2020, 17:45   #113
Beacon of light

http://chng.it/CmdBscKwg6
This is a link to a petition for the over 75's to retain their fee free viewing.
Please if you have a moment to spare....sign it for me
Thank you in advance.
Old 13-07-2020, 18:15   #114

Quote:
http://chng.it/CmdBscKwg6
This is a link to a petition for the over 75's to retain their fee free viewing.
Please if you have a moment to spare....sign it for me
Thank you in advance.

I tried Marge but I could not put up with all the other Petitions that followed it, sorry.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 18:27   #115
Beacon of light

You do not have to sign any of the others Taddy...just that one
Old 13-07-2020, 18:29   #116

Ok
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 11:53   #117
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

have to disagree with that, young people i am sure Know It All,as most of us thought we did at that age,
taddy and monkey hanger like this.
Old 14-07-2020, 14:47   #118
Beacon of light

Well yes, they know it all, but really they know nowt.
cashman likes this.
Old 15-07-2020, 07:50   #119
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
have to disagree with that, young people i am sure Know It All,as most of us thought we did at that age,
but no one took any notice of what we said unlike todays lot who seem encouraged to be know it alls.
Old 15-07-2020, 09:19   #120
Beacon of light

Yes that is the difference...back then we were 'snot nosed know nowts'.
Now we really do know...because of the experiences of life.....still no one takes any notice of us.
The invisible generation.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..