Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-12-2019, 10:15   #31
Beacon of light

Re: Vimto

Yes... I like that....it is written in a humorous way, but yet it is a deadly serious subject.
How we feed and nourish our children is of paramount importance, but if we give youngsters chemicals that are not without problems(however safe the manufacturers say they are...well, of course they would wouldn't they....they are not going to fund research that tells everyone their product is poison)

I have been a label reader for more years than I like to mention....and the number of times I have made my other half put back food and drink that contains stuff I do not want my daughter's children to be subjected to....and he has rolled his eyes and told me that 'l know too much....and think too much'.

I prefer to give the children limited amounts of sugar....and then encourage them to run, cycle or play off the calories they have consumed.....and I think therein lies the rub.
Our children do not play out anymore.....they do not play skipping games, they do not chase around playing tag, or hide and seek....they do not build dens, climb trees, go exploring.
Maybe addressing this would be a start on tackling what is seen as an obesity crisis.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-12-2019, 11:15   #32
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;
Our children do not play out anymore.....they do not play skipping games, they do not chase around playing tag, or hide and seek....they do not build dens, climb trees, go exploring.
Maybe addressing this would be a start on tackling what is seen as an obesity crisis.[/QUOTE]

is it the kids though or their parents. lots do not even walk to school anymore and are put in cotton wool by a lot of parents. might get run over if they walk to school, might be a paedo about if they go down the park, might be this, might be that. i was told to get out and see my mates and managed to avoid dirty old men and being run over by the silent death, a trolleybus.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 12:37   #33
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

If the local paedo was lurking in the park, our gang of footy playing lads just indulged in some accurate rock chucking practice, problem soon got sorted.
Old 31-12-2019, 13:12   #34
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
is it the kids though or their parents. lots do not even walk to school anymore and are put in cotton wool by a lot of parents. might get run over if they walk to school, might be a paedo about if they go down the park, might be this, might be that. i was told to get out and see my mates and managed to avoid dirty old men and being run over by the silent death, a trolleybus.
I think it is a mixture of things.
Parents run their children to school and this sets the tone.
They do not let their children experience life....they think they are 'looking after' their children, when in fact they are giving them a social handicap....risk avoidance....no it isn't even risk avoidance....it is not allowing children to determine what risks there are in everyday life.

They are raising children who do not know how to swim in the sea of everyday life

I think there have always been risks in society....some of them you mentioned.
By not exposing children to risks(even the minimal ones) means that they never formulate strategies to avoid/deal with risk of any description.
I walked all the way across town to school every day(both ways) in the fifties.
And you may say that there was less risk from traffic....but less risk is not NO risk.
I was taught road safety....I was taught not to speak to strangers.....i was taught to stay in a group of children.
I was not scared...I grew up in the best of times.
My childhood gave me the skills and the confidence to be who I am.
cashman and DaveinGermany like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..