Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2020, 19:20   #1
Beacon of light

Windows 7

From the 14 th of January Microsoft will no longer offer updates or support for their popular Windows 7 operating system.
Those of you who are running this OS will get full screen messages telling you to 'upgrade' to Windows 10.
This upgrade is free if you have a current valid Windows 7 key.

For those (like me) who dislike Windows 10 then your options are to continue using....but the OS will be less safe(if there is such a thing).
It will still work and the only problems that you might come up against are hardware issues....like if your printer dies, then a new printer will not be compatible with your current OS.
Other than that you could...if you are brave convert to Linux or some other non windows system.

I am going to 'wing it'.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-01-2020, 18:25   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Windows 7

I have managed to upgrade to windows 10 for free . I quite like it to be honest . It took a long while to download though .
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 19:16   #3
Beacon of light

Well, then David you will be ahead of the game.
I have not got it on any of my machines and have no intention of getting it.
I bought laptops for the tinlids and it was on those....so I got to see it in action and I did not like it one bit..it was only one beat away from the most awful Vista.....that was a hideous OS.

I will keep on using 7 until I am forced to change.....I know that Windows 7 is ten years old, but why change something that works and is popular.....well, for money of course.
Microsoft are not daft, but then neither do they really care about the user either.
david1 likes this.
Old 03-01-2020, 21:23   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Did have 7, but changed to 10 septemberish, my friend knows what he's doing with laptops & the like & he put 10 on my lappy with the 7 layout more or less, so that does it for me.
Old 03-01-2020, 21:35   #5
Beacon of light

You are lucky to have a friend who can do that for you.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 03-01-2020, 21:42   #6
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You are lucky to have a friend who can do that for you.

Believe me I know Ma, he's pretty much on speed dial what with me being the technopygmy that I is!
Old 04-01-2020, 10:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Did have 7, but changed to 10 septemberish, my friend knows what he's doing with laptops & the like & he put 10 on my lappy with the 7 layout more or less, so that does it for me.
I am still using a desktop that has the windows XP system, how behind times is that?
Your's the Lancashire Ludite, Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:32   #8

By the way Marge, can I update my steam driven machine for free ? (doubtful)
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:17   #9
Beacon of light

No....sorry Taddy.
It can't be done....the engineers that could do that are all pushing up the daisies.

I have come a long way in the technical world, but I still do not know enough.

I might have a look at how this configuring windows 10 to be like 7 is done.....after all most things are covered on YouTube.....I am not saying that I would do it though.

In fact I have seriously considered getting a 'back up' desk top that runs 7... how sad is that?

Change is not always for the better.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:19   #10
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
I am still using a desktop that has the windows XP system, how behind times is that?
Your's the Lancashire Ludite, Taddy.
I actually liked XP....it was heaps better than Vista....I HATED that OS more than anyone could ever know.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have come a long way in the technical world, but I still do not know enough.

I might have a look at how this configuring windows 10 to be like 7 is done.....after all most things are covered on YouTube.....I am not saying that I would do it though.

If at some stage problems arise and confusion rains supreme try obtaining the assistance of a 10-15 year old. Almost any conviently available one will do but the best results are usually obtained from the quiet introverted ones. No need to feel any embarrassment with this approach, they may knock the spots off you with the computer but you know how to cook, play hop-scotch, climb trees, do CPR and dozens of other things they will probably never get to grips with.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:54   #12
Beacon of light

I have one of those nerds in the family....so not hard to get hold of one....and I am never embarrassed to admit that I have a hole in my knowledge base.....and am happy to bow to someone who can do things I cannot do.

However, if there is something being done with my computer....I really do like to see if I can do it myself...that way I have learned something.....and if it goes wrong I can only blame ME.

I have had a quick look at this.....and I STILL do not like it...it might appear like Windows 7....but because it looks like it does not mean it acts like it.....sugar and salt look alike, but they are not interchangeable.

I know...I know....I am hard to please.
Old 04-01-2020, 13:15   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

my computer died a few months ago that was windows7, was gonna get a new comp, but anges sister gave me a laptop, that un is windows10, to be honest i aint had any problem at all using it, and i'm damn sure you know much more than me margaret, i am a complete numpty with new technology. thats only input i can give in this cos i know sod all else.
Old 04-01-2020, 13:30   #14
Beacon of light

Yes Cashy, I know that you are not that hot with technology.....and I guess it depends what you want to do on your machine.

I have a lot of stuff that is related to my crafting and I reckon that when a new OS comes out, it should be backwards and forwards compatible...by that I mean that it should support programs already in use.....frequently this is not the case.

Windows 10 was formulated for smart phones and you can tell in the way it is laid out.
You use a smart phone...I have a dumb phone because all I want to do on my phone is make calls (and perhaps text...though I am incredibly bad at texting).
Windows 10 doesn't do it for me.

Though I have thought of a way to try out the damned thing with a windows 7 configuration.
I have a laptop that I use very little so If I put it on that and could make it look like 7...then maybe I would get used to it...and if it was a dismal failure then my main machine is not affected.

I will sit down and have a think about it.
Old 04-01-2020, 13:36   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well to be honest "Donkey broke down" is my limit.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..