Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2020, 08:57   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Corona Virus

i just heard two people from same family in britain have this horrible virus, hope they recover, but what amazes me, is the fact the government will not name them , cos of Patient Confidentiality, this to me is crazy in these circumstances,the point to me is, if they name them, then anyone who has had contact, is very likely to go for a test? surely? also if they are elderly then theres a fair chance they cannot remember everyone they have been in touch with. to me this Patient Confidentiality, in this instance puts the public at risk. what do you think?
KiTChener and taddy like this.
Old 31-01-2020, 09:50   #2

Re: Corona Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i just heard two people from same family in britain have this horrible virus, hope they recover, but what amazes me, is the fact the government will not name them , cos of Patient Confidentiality, this to me is crazy in these circumstances,the point to me is, if they name them, then anyone who has had contact, is very likely to go for a test? surely? also if they are elderly then theres a fair chance they cannot remember everyone they have been in touch with. to me this Patient Confidentiality, in this instance puts the public at risk. what do you think?
In rare instances like this I can only agree with what you say but the downside could be public panic and a rush on A.E. departments by people who have cough, sore thoat etc.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 11:37   #3
Beacon of light

Cashy, there will be a team who are very used to dealing with contact tracing....so it really is not necessary to publish the names or locations of these people.
Ask yourself if it were members of your family, would you like their names published?

Everyone regardless ,should be taking precautions at this time of year(flu season)
My own precautions are these:-
1) Wear gloves when you are out and about....touching surfaces that other people have touched when they have sneezed into their hands, is a fine way of picking up viruses.
Viruses can live on hard surfaces for more than 24 hours.
2) wash your hands before you eat....always. This is more effective than using antibacterial gel(this gel may be ineffective in killing viruses unles they are heavy on the alcohol).
3) steer clear of young children....they are good carriers of bugs and viruses.
4) if you have a cold /flu stay home.....don't spread the virus....use paper hankies and dispose of them sensibly....wash your hands frequently so that whatever you touch does not become contaminated with the virus.

The media are whipping up a frenzy about this issue.
If you look at the population of China and try to put those who are infected and those who have died into a percentage of the population....it is infinitesimal.
That is not to say we have to be cavalier.
They keep telling us that there is no CURE for this....but then there is no cure for the common cold or for flu...both are treated symptomatically.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 11:54   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Cashy, there will be a team who are very used to dealing with contact tracing....so it really is not necessary to publish the names or locations of these people.
Ask yourself if it were members of your family, would you like their names published?

Everyone regardless ,should be taking precautions at this time of year(flu season)
My own precautions are these:-
1) Wear gloves when you are out and about....touching surfaces that other people have touched when they have sneezed into their hands, is a fine way of picking up viruses.
Viruses can live on hard surfaces for more than 24 hours.
2) wash your hands before you eat....always. This is more effective than using antibacterial gel(this gel may be ineffective in killing viruses unles they are heavy on the alcohol).
3) steer clear of young children....they are good carriers of bugs and viruses.
4) if you have a cold /flu stay home.....don't spread the virus....use paper hankies and dispose of them sensibly....wash your hands frequently so that whatever you touch does not become contaminated with the virus.

The media are whipping up a frenzy about this issue.
If you look at the population of China and try to put those who are infected and those who have died into a percentage of the population....it is infinitesimal.
That is not to say we have to be cavalier.
They keep telling us that there is no CURE for this....but then there is no cure for the common cold or for flu...both are treated symptomatically.
To be perfectly honest if we were unfortunate enough to be involved and it was members of my family, i would not mind at all, safety of people comes first in my book.
Old 31-01-2020, 12:32   #5
God Member

Quote:
To be perfectly honest if we were unfortunate enough to be involved and it was members of my family, i would not mind at all, safety of people comes first in my book.
Trouble is, would any medics be able to reach you and your family through the throng of media vultures that would be camped outside your front door?
monkey hanger likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 12:47   #6
Beacon of light

I can understand that you are concerned about safety Cashy, but the professionals are also concerned in protecting not just the general public, but also the two people who are diagnosed with the virus.
The two people will be treated and quarantined, the contacts will be sought and likewise, they will be looked after and very likely put into quarantine to protect the public.
Old 31-01-2020, 13:16   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i wonder cos if that was me then i could defo not remember who i have been in touch with for the last 2 weeks, not a hope in hell.
Old 31-01-2020, 13:27   #8
Beacon of light

These tracers are skilled in getting information....and they will not rely on the two people who are currently sick....they will look at how they travelled, they will have lists from airlines of who was on the flight, they will put out requests for people who are likely to have come into contact with them on trains, or in the hotel....and to be fair if the names were published, the people who may have been in contact with them on a train or a bus would not know who they were....how often do we give our personal details to a fellow traveller on a bus or train.
The Health teams are just as keen to prevent an escalation of the spread of this virus as you are to stay safe.

The situation is serious, but it needs to be put into perspective...and right now it is forcing the news of Brexit out of news bulletins(to a degree) and that pleases the mainstream media, who have had absolutely nothing positive to say about it from the outset....somfornthem this is a win.
Taddys daughter likes this.
Old 31-01-2020, 14:59   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Brexit will never be out of the news, the media will see to that, today means not much, the next 12 months they will play and bitch like hell about how the deal is going.
Old 31-01-2020, 20:04   #10

Quote:
I think we need to leave it in the hands of the authorities. Involving the public would only complicate matters and may even endanger innocent people. I recall when a mob went on the rampage down in Portsmouth after some paedophile and attacked the home of a paediatrician. Could see a mob burning the poor folk's house - there are that many idiots about these days.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 15:35   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
i just heard two people from same family in britain have this horrible virus,

Just a side note to that, perhaps despite being in UK they are of foreign extraction? Just think how that would also play out in the papers. I admittedly don't see or hear much British news coverage except what I read daily online & have seen no mention of this, where did you get it from Cashy? Genuine question.
Old 01-02-2020, 16:23   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

was on the news here dave never said they were foreign though.
Old 01-02-2020, 17:19   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Not saying they are, but a lot of media outlets don't mention (aren't allowed) peoples ethnicity in case of being slated as "Ist", unless of course it's a white male then they're fair game.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 01-02-2020, 19:24   #14
Beacon of light

Yes...they are Chinese..one is a student studying at York University the other is a family member visiting form China
Old 01-02-2020, 19:41   #15
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes...they are Chinese..one is a student studying at York University the other is a family member visiting form China

Bingo, now if the majority of press had highlighted this the lefterists & sjw's would've been hopping up & down going apopleptic screaming racist & nazi reporters picking on some poor Chinky.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..