Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2020, 05:33   #91

Re: Corona Virus

My shopping expedition was sort of interesting. Yes, there were lots of empty shelves, more than a week ago, but still plenty of fruit and vegetables, breads, etc. No pasta on the shelves but that good old fruit and veg shop that was selling toilet paper last week was selling packets of the stuff. People were still out and about and enjoying coffee and cake with their friends. Maybe not as many as usual though.

Not being in the panic-buying category I only had a few items on my list and the only product I couldn’t get was washing-up detergent. My friend couldn’t get sugar.

On the way home we called in to a new Aldi shop that has just opened for a look around and there were lots of packets of sugar and a shelf full of the washing-up stuff……

The Premier of South Australia has made the most ridiculous announcement and that is that trading hours will be extended and supermarkets will be allowed to open 24 hours a day….how stupid! What’s the point of extra hours of opening if there’s nothing much on the shelves in the first place.

I often wonder how some people have got to where they have….
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-03-2020, 09:57   #92
God Member

we have gone to shops we do not normally use. managed to get everything we wanted but has cost us more. wonder if other sensible non hoarders have been in the same boat.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 09:59   #93
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Barnier has caught it, despite his being the main argumenter for the eu & as such a thorn in the side of our choice to leave, I'd like to think he'll get through this.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...it-talks-delay
Old 19-03-2020, 10:01   #94
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1238353]..but my daughter's sixteen year old son was sent home from school yesterday because he had a low grade temperature and had coughed a couple of times.
His sister was removed from her class and also sent home.
Their Dad was informed of the situation and he was told to go home and self isolate for 14 days.

remember that other illnesses and medical conditions are still readily available.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 10:10   #95
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
we have gone to shops we do not normally use. managed to get everything we wanted but has cost us more. wonder if other sensible non hoarders have been in the same boat.

Yes, the situation in Germany isn't much different, many of the shops you go to regardless of the chain it seems there are particular items that are constantly sold out. Regardless of the government, transport firms & supermarket chains constantly reiterating that there is enough for all, no problems with resupply & life goes on.

Still the selfish, antisocial & inconsiderate take the pish with no thought for anyone else but themselves, I really do hate these people & despite all the warnings & advice the Germans still don't get the principle of personal space!
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Old 19-03-2020, 10:54   #96
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Barnier has caught it, despite his being the main argumenter for the eu & as such a thorn in the side of our choice to leave, I'd like to think he'll get through this.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...it-talks-delay
Son...you are just too kind.
I hope the man gets over it, but I hope it takes him four years and that his bed shakes him onto the floor every night with the rigours of illness.
And even that would be too good for him
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 17:58   #97
Full Member+

Being in the wrong age group I am trying to follow the PM advice. Today I was in a very short queue , I stood well back from the customer in front that was being served, the customer behind me was stood well back from me , when another shopper walked straight in front of me and placed her shopping on the belt, I could not believe it, she obviously hasnt been keeping up to date.
On the other hand I called at Accrington Pharmacist at Oaklee where they are only allowing two customers in at a time and you have to stand well back from the counter , my goods where then place in a plastic crate and passed over for me to take out the box, now that is sensible , Well done Justin.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 18:10   #98
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Son...you are just too kind.
I hope the man gets over it, but I hope it takes him four years and that his bed shakes him onto the floor every night with the rigours of illness.
And even that would be too good for him
may just be a con to delay brexit, yeh never know wi that slimeball.
Old 19-03-2020, 18:35   #99
Beacon of light

Cashy, the cynical old baggage that I am....also thought that. They will do ANYTHING to try and get more money from us.
If there is no deal worked out by December 31st, then we leave on WTO rules.

I will believe he has the Wuhan Flu when I can seen him pictured in extremis....looking pale,poorly and needing oxygen.
Old 19-03-2020, 18:42   #100
Beacon of light

Greeny...I have not been anywhere where there has been a short queue for anything.
Everywhere has been MAD.
No sugar, no cooking oil, no pasta, no tinned goods.
I am also in the crumbly age bracket(but, fit, robust and healthy)....but I can't see how we can follow these instructions if we cannot get food or medicines to sustain us in our four month incarceration.
You can't stockpile four months worth of fresh milk, or eggs.
I have some stuff in my freezer, but nowhere near enough for that length of time....I have not bought into the panic buying mentality.
cashman likes this.
Old 19-03-2020, 18:55   #101
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yeh aint the only cynical one Margaret, also no flour,no tea bags,pasta,eggs,tins of beans, its mind blowing whats been snapped up by selfish gets,if i ever stoop that low i hope i get the virus,
Old 19-03-2020, 19:11   #102
Beacon of light

The first hour of shopping in Iceland was devoted to the elderly...there were two staff on the doors and those wanting to shop during that time had to show either a bus pass or something which confirmed their age...and they were only letting a few people into the shop at a time...which meant that it was possible to distance yourself from other shoppers.

Old and Bargain are going to be devoting the first hour of shopping to the elderly too...AND they are going to be setting limits on the number of the same item you can buy(not before time).

The other thing about this store is that any of their staff who have to self isolate will get full pay for the two weeks this entails.....any members of staff who do not need to use this will get an extra two weeks pay at the end of the year.
they have put aside 30m quid to do this...unlike the greedy billionaire Richard Branson who is asking his staff to take unpaid leave(miserable git).

I do not usually wish anyone ill, but don't you just wish that those who have no thought for others could get a dose of something that might require that they need to use every single sheet of the bog rolls they panic bought?
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 19-03-2020, 19:16   #103
Senior Member+

Boris is asking the whole Country to pull together, seems nobody is listening.
I wouldn't like most of the bartstewards behind me in battle.
Old 19-03-2020, 22:25   #104
Full Member+

I went into both Asda and Tesco this evening, in Asda there was no vegetables (potatoes, onions, mushrooms, leeks, carrots etc) whatsoever, nor salad stuff (tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce - none of which you can freeze) or much fresh fruit. I did manage to but some onions from Tesco - now all I need is to find somewhere selling chicken fillets so I can make a Chicken Rogan Josh.

Another thing that had run out in Asda was butter/margarine, loads of bacon in Asda though....

I had one cheeky muslim boy (maybe 10-12ish) ask me to buy 2 lots of powdered baby milk formula for his cousin brothers children.... none the less he was told to go forth and multiply.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 20-03-2020, 06:54   #105
Beacon of light

Aldi had a reasonable supply of both fruit and veg.....all of the things on your list.....and there was a good supply of salad stuff too....if you were happy to brave the long queues.....and it wasn't because the checkout staff were being slow.
I have NEVER seen so many customers in there....not even the maddest Christmas buy compares to this utter madness.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..