Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2020, 10:01   #241
Beacon of light

Re: Corona Virus

I really object to being told how I have to pay for something.
I have a debit card...I use it rarely because I do not trust the people who take my card details will take good care of those details.
They are unconcerned about what happens if my details are scanned or cloned because they do not have to deal with it.
I use my card to get cash from the bank...the last time I looked banknotes and coins were legal tender.

I know people are worried about picking up the virus from money, but it is a very slim chance...and if you follow good hygiene practices then that is minimised.
You are just as likely to get it on an envelope of Curry house flyer that comes through your door.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-04-2020, 10:23   #242
Senior Member+

Yes you should have the freedom to choose which way you pay but in the present circumstances I can understand why it is preferable to pay by card, online it's card only and I notice that atm’s are now suddenly making a charge to withdraw cash, your spread of the virus on pamphlets through the door observation is well warranted
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:14   #243
Beacon of light

Every day we take risks..it is how we manage these risk that makes the difference.

Do you take any special precautions during the normal winter flu season? Because the risks of that are just as great if you have underlying health conditions.(in fact research shows that the winter flu is much more contagious than the current virus)
You may say...No I get vaccinated...OK if you do the vaccine is for the flu virus that was prevalent the winter before...and as we know viruses mutate...which is why you can be vaccinated and STILL get flu.

The current situation has been blown out of all proportion.
The Office of National Statistics which collates the figure for deaths, show little or ni increase for March of this year against March of last year.

Also did you know that if anyone dies within 60 days of being diagnosed positive with Covid-19 their death will be atttributed to the virus regardless of what they actually died from

Currently there is NO SENSIBLE perspective on this infection....just emotinve and scary language from the media and 'headless chicken' reaction from government which will leave the country impoverished for decades to come.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 06-04-2020 at 11:17.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:35   #244
Senior Member+

I have no doubt that you have researched the differences on death’s from respiratory disease year on year, I have just done a search
the latest figures that were given was for w/e 20th March 2020 and reported 1514 for that week
the corresponding w/e 22nd March 2019 reported 1486
not such a different result
but 20th of March is before the huge rise of deaths reported in the news it will be interesting to see what the corresponding figures are for early April
Old 06-04-2020, 12:58   #245
Beacon of light

Yes you are right about the figures being before the surge.
I am still of the opinion that there has not been a sensible perspective.
There are more than 60 million people in this country, so the current figures are a very small percentage of the population.
We DO NOT KNOW what the true figures are because you can only accurately determine the size of the problem if community testing is carried out to see who actually has the infection.

So whatever the figures are, they are meaningless because there is no accuracy in them.

I do not dispute that this is a serious situation, but I do think we need to use our brains when interpreting what we are being told.
The way this has been handled is as big a worry as the infection is.
UK PLC is shut....and that is detrimental to everyone.
cashman likes this.
Old 06-04-2020, 16:05   #246
Full Member+

I agree with you accybeme. The Off Nat Stats are retrospective numbers and at March 20 they were indeed close to the previous year's numbers. March 21st , daily deaths were 56 but two weeks later those numbers were ten times those numbers with the highest daily figure at over 700, so it will be interesting to see the next ONS figures and see them in some context !
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 18:14   #247
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just had a phonecall telling me an owd mate has just died of this bloody virus,
Old 06-04-2020, 19:45   #248
Beacon of light

Sorry to hear that Cashy...stay safe, stay well, stay sane.
cashman likes this.
Old 06-04-2020, 19:51   #249
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

seems Boris is in intensive care now, hope he mends.
Old 06-04-2020, 19:54   #250
Beacon of light

Yes...I have just seen that.
I am sure they are doing all they can for him.
Old 06-04-2020, 19:57   #251
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes...I have just seen that.
I am sure they are doing all they can for him.
im sure they are, was never a tory fan, but think hes done ok since taking the helm.and it sure aint been a walk in the park!
Old 06-04-2020, 20:06   #252
Beacon of light

Like you, was not a fan, but he has had a tough time right from the start...and I wish him well.
cashman likes this.
Old 06-04-2020, 21:22   #253
Beacon of light

https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk...ng-916580.html

This article is worth a read....well, I think so.
Old 06-04-2020, 21:59   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Thank you for taking the time to write to Dave.
We have received your email and will be in touch soon.
Our office hours are 8am-8pm on Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm on Saturday, closed on Sunday.

Group Chief Executive’s Office.

the above is a reply I have had from Tesco...so it did not go into the spam file.
Watch this space.

Just had a news-letter from Tesco that contains :-

----

Also yesterday, we began work on our first dedicated NHS Nightingale Hospital pop-up store, at the NEC in Birmingham. We’ll provide NHS staff with on-site 24-hour access to the food and household products they need. Construction at the NEC started on Sunday and we aim to be open by the end of next week – so it’s all hands on deck. We’re in late-stage discussions with other Nightingale sites, and hope that this is the first of several pop-up Tesco stores that will help the NHS staff in those hospitals.

----
That looks very close to your suggestion.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:29   #255
Senior Member+

A question for you Margaret; being a former NHS worker, (Dr. David Lloyd on early ITV news this morning reported that another problem with the coronavirus was blood coagulation causing clotting) is this a normal complication with other forms of influencer

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..