Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-05-2020, 20:11   #481
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Corona Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
In a word NO.

Why would they want him to get any kind of fellow feeling....they are part of the baying mob.....media hype on overdrive....feeding the hard of thinking with the ideas they are supposed to have.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Ah, but it was in the garden of number 10 so you wouldn't get in without an invite and while I was watching it I thought where ever did they get this shower from? None of their questions are of any use not the top of the tree so far as journalists surely? I really felt sorry he had to put up with them.

That is why I asked if they were specially picked.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-05-2020, 20:15   #482
Beacon of light

Well, Less....I am pretty sure there was no attempt to make anyone else feel sorry for him.
I think you might be going a bit soft if you felt sorry for him(whatever the reason)....you must need a beer...or three...just don't hold your breath waiting.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 21:09   #483
God Member

This is the sort of stuff our blessed metropolitan media get up to. Chalking messages on a street where Dominic Cummings lives and constantly hanging around his house without, as you’ll notice, respecting the so-called 2m distance. Like the media say, one rule for us and one for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B2320FF2-CF5B-4976-B01B-36E92500CF2F.jpeg (650.5 KB, 12 views)
monkey hanger likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 21:10   #484

Quote:
Well, Less....I am pretty sure there was no attempt to make anyone else feel sorry for him.
I think you might be going a bit soft if you felt sorry for him(whatever the reason)....you must need a beer...or three...just don't hold your breath waiting.
Excuse me? I didn't say I felt sorry for him, I said 'I felt sorry he had to put up with them' which I think is slightly different.
Old 25-05-2020, 21:22   #485
Beacon of light

Being a bit pedanitic Less...you had a finer feeling...you felt sorry he had to put up with crass journo's......so if you really really did not care...you would have been revelling in his discomfort of having to deal with such....how can I put it ?
I think kitehawks covers it.(I wanted to put something far less complimentary, but it would not let me)
Old 26-05-2020, 10:57   #486

The British Art of Queueing

The media are currently using a lot of bandwidth telling us how things are going to be different in the future as a result of this virus. In my opinion this is a waste of bandwidth as ‘the future’ has a habit of producing its own changes often without regard to people’s wishes or intents. However a little speculation as to the possibilities does no harm.

When I was a child the British were well practiced in the art of queueing, maybe this was a leftover from the shortages of the war or maybe it was developed over may decades I don’t know. It was certainly the case that there were many opportunities to queue for buses, cinemas, waiting to pay etc. and there was a lot of etiquette involved. For example a ‘U’ shaped queue within a bus shelter which placed the first in the queue next to the last, but all kept out of the rain. ‘Queue jumping’ could be discouraged/prevented with an appropriate glance, as could excessively loud conversation. One got the impression that this was a peculiarly British art as when one saw ‘foreign parts’ on the cinema news reels one did not see the same behaviour, in fact what one often saw could be described as a ‘devil take the hindmost surge’.

I wonder if such self control will still exist when queueing expands from supermarket carparks to pavements. I am currently thinking of three adjacent popular shops near here. If only two open then one queue to the left and one queue to the right, no problem apart from usage of the entire pavement and any passing pedestrian playing chicken with the traffic. However if all three are open there is absolutely nowhere for a third queue. I wonder what is currently going through the minds of the the three shop keepers/managers as they start to contemplate their reopenings?

The possibilities are endless but it would take a brave person to predict the outcome.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 16:32   #487
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

A total "Witch hunt" if you ask me & we know how those end don't we?

Old 26-05-2020, 16:50   #488
Beacon of light

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/0...se-and-resign/

This covers it.
Old 27-05-2020, 10:10   #489
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
This is the sort of stuff our blessed metropolitan media get up to. Chalking messages on a street where Dominic Cummings lives and constantly hanging around his house without, as you’ll notice, respecting the so-called 2m distance. Like the media say, one rule for us and one for them.
once we we told , we get the press we deserve. just wonder which journalist made that one up.
cashman likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 20:35   #490
God Member

Good God, it’s got so bad even the BBC is slagging itself off.
Presumably all of tomorrow’s BBC news will lead with demands that this broadcaster resigns for ‘breaking the rules’!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52824508
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 07:53   #491
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Good God, it’s got so bad even the BBC is slagging itself off.

I think the overlords at Al-Beeb have seen & heard the the uppity serfdom waving blazing torches & waggling pitchforks in their genral direction & are now getting a dose of the squeaky hoop!
Old 28-05-2020, 08:23   #492

So, today is the first day of 'track and trace', we are told it's our civic duty, I'm sure like me you don't need to be told that (could it be a veiled threat? do as you are told or...).

What I can't get my head around is that we are expected to give up contact information of anyone we have been near to with Telephone, email etc, however we won't be told the name of the person that gave up our contact details.

I can't see why not, after all, I'm sure they must have given our details in good faith not to get us into trouble but to ensure overall safety, so if we are given the name of that person it is one less for us to put on the list.

Yes sure, the claim will be patient confidentiality but if that person has given away our details what has happened to our patient and private confidentiality?

Plus the new app is not ready yet, not because of technical difficulties but they claim because we aren't considered ready to use it. How patronising! get the app out there to the public we will show that we are ready to use it.
AccyMad likes this.

Last edited by Less; 28-05-2020 at 08:26.
Old 28-05-2020, 08:51   #493
Beacon of light

Less...what's an app?

for the people who do not have a smart phone...civic duty or not...it cannot be used.
Old 28-05-2020, 09:05   #494

Quote:
Less...what's an app?

for the people who do not have a smart phone...civic duty or not...it cannot be used.
Margaret the fact that you know it's for use in a smart phone I suspect you know what an app is even if you don't know how to use use it.

Having said that, of course some people don't know how to set up or use apps however the majority of smart phone users do know how to install and use them it has even been rumoured that asking questions on this site will get those with doubts assistance in using it.

The thing is for those that have a smart phone and can use an app are being deprived of a tool that the Government used to claim would be very helpful to track and trace and the fact that those in charge and their advisors think most smart phone users can't handle the app is as I said patronising.
Old 28-05-2020, 09:30   #495
God Member

[QUOTE=Less;1240577]Margaret the fact that you know it's for use in a smart phone I suspect you know what an app is even if you don't know how to use use it.

i know what a smart phone is. i have heard the word app. i have heard about DiY but have no intention of bothering about any of them.
Margaret Pilkington and taddy like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..