Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-05-2020, 09:37   #496
God Member

Re: Corona Virus

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1240576]Less...what's an app?

for the people who do not have a smart phone...

don,t you realize that you are supposed to have one. how can you go out of your house and not have something to play around with and take constant pictures of absolutely sod all and get selfies outside lidl with any random person you see. its just another assumption we have to put up with in todays world i,m afraid.
taddy likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-05-2020, 09:46   #497
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

if it helps improve the situation what does it matter? i will certainly put up with it.
Old 28-05-2020, 10:34   #498
Beacon of light

Yes Less...I do know what an app is.....I know that a lot of people have smart phones....but a lot do not....especially in the older age groups. Maybe us 'foot in the graves' are expected to remain 'shielded'.

It is said that at least 50% of the population need to sign up for this to make it of any relevance and it beggars belief that it is being launched today when the app is not available.

And as far as not being trusted to be able to use it.....well, that is nanny for you....you must not let go of her hand....lest something tragic happens to you.
Less and taddy like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 10:37   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Less...what's an app?

for the people who do not have a smart phone...civic duty or not...it cannot be used.
Maybe four or five years ago Hazel decided she would have a new phone, the old one was,(is), the original Nokia, Not Nokia number 1, Nokia number 101, just the Original without camera, games television screen Nokia.
Up until this point I would not entertain having a mobile phone but Hazel talked me into having it for (Emergancy purposes) don't all wives?.

The first time it rang I was having a pint of Hobgoblin in the Peel Park Hotel and the young barmaid said, "Mick your mobile is ringing", I had to hand her the phone saying "What do I do now"?

The lass could not believe that I did not know how to use a mobile phone I am not much better at it now, so what good would an "App" be to a Luddite such as I?

Stay safe, Stay happy but most of all Stay Inebriated; Your's The Lancashire Luddite.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 10:44   #500
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Maybe four or five years ago Hazel decided she would have a new phone, the old one was,(is), the original Nokia, Not Nokia number 1, Nokia number 101, just the Original without camera, games television screen Nokia.
Up until this point I would not entertain having a mobile phone but Hazel talked me into having it for (Emergancy purposes) don't all wives?.

The first time it rang I was having a pint of Hobgoblin in the Peel Park Hotel and the young barmaid said, "Mick your mobile is ringing", I had to hand her the phone saying "What do I do now"?

The lass could not believe that I did not know how to use a mobile phone I am not much better at it now, so what good would an "App" be to a Luddite such as I?

Stay safe, Stay happy but most of all Stay Inebriated; Your's The Lancashire Luddite.
well thats spot on in my case Taddy. only reason i have a mobile is fact missus was worried when either of us were out in the car, i did same got a new un about 3 years ago cos old un was getting knackered, i got a smart phone not cos i am but so i could get latest footy scores when im up stanley.
DaveinGermany and taddy like this.
Old 28-05-2020, 10:45   #501
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Meanwhile I think I'm losing my sense of taste, no, not Corona Virus, just these rubbish tins of beer I'm having to put up with, if only there was an app to deal with that.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 10:52   #502
Beacon of light

I still have an old Nokia 3310......it was bought for me so that I could use it in emergencies.
But the robbing bar stewards that go under the flag of Vodafone keep robbing me of money.
I got a SIM card put some money on it and they rob me of the money because I haven't had any emergency worthy of using a phone.....so if I don't use my phone they take my money.
I am not playing that fools game.
So now the Nokia and inert SIM card lurk at the bottom of a kitchen drawer.
When I had it working it was only switched on if I wanted to make a call....I never texted.
Old 28-05-2020, 10:54   #503
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Meanwhile I think I'm losing my sense of taste, no, not Corona Virus, just these rubbish tins of beer I'm having to put up with, if only there was an app to deal with that.
Less, you will probably have lost the liking for a beer by the time the pubs open again.
There will be beer, but no atmosphere, no fun and you will go home a disappointed dejected man.
Sorry to be the bringer of unwelcome news.
Old 28-05-2020, 10:59   #504

Quote:
Less, you will probably have lost the liking for a beer by the time the pubs open again.
There will be beer, but no atmosphere, no fun and you will go home a disappointed dejected man.
Sorry to be the bringer of unwelcome news.
You know me, when the pubs re-open I will stay out until I've learnt how to enjoy myself again.

cashman likes this.
Old 28-05-2020, 11:02   #505
Beacon of light

God loves a trier Less....here's more power to your elbow(the beer lifting one).
Old 28-05-2020, 11:09   #506

Quote:
God loves a trier Less....here's more power to your elbow(the beer lifting one).
I'm an ambidextrous veteran of when last orders on a Sunday was at 2p.m. we could hold several pints in either hand and still sup it all in the 10 minutes before chucking out time.
taddy likes this.
Old 28-05-2020, 11:17   #507

Quote:
I still have an old Nokia 3310......it was bought for me so that I could use it in emergencies.
But the robbing bar stewards that go under the flag of Vodafone keep robbing me of money.
I got a SIM card put some money on it and they rob me of the money because I haven't had any emergency worthy of using a phone.....so if I don't use my phone they take my money.
I am not playing that fools game.
So now the Nokia and inert SIM card lurk at the bottom of a kitchen drawer.
When I had it working it was only switched on if I wanted to make a call....I never texted.
Ha,Ha, Ha,
Talking of texting, Texing or whatever the proper name is, if I need to get in touch with any one by text, I simply hand the Nokia over to Hazel and she does it for me; (sad or what?). Aah yes wives do come in handy for certain situations. If you see this Hazel I am only joking. (a bit)

As for the provider taking your money Marge, Hazel put the Nokia on "Pay as you go" for me, with B.T. and as I said earlier I still struggle using it so the cost is minimal.
If I had to go back to my previous method of communication, "the carrier pigeon", it would cost more in pigeon food and rubber bands to hold the message to it's leg.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 28-05-2020, 11:26   #508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Less, Don't bother with an "App", Try an "Aldi".
"Medusa", which is very simular to Hobgoblin is only £1-09p a pint, no good if you like lightish summer ales, "Medusa" is a ruby warming type of ale, 5% ABV.
Enjoy, Regards, Taddy.
Less likes this.
Old 28-05-2020, 11:37   #509

Quote:
Less, Don't bother with an "App", Try an "Aldi".
"Medusa", which is very simular to Hobgoblin is only £1-09p a pint, no good if you like lightish summer ales, "Medusa" is a ruby warming type of ale, 5% ABV.
Enjoy, Regards, Taddy.
Taddy, it isn't really a problem, I'll endure the cans because the anticipation factor of that first foaming pint when the pubs open again will be that much more fantastic and I can bore the rest of the regulars with my tales of how I suffered during the pandemic.

Meanwhile before we get our wrists slapped by the mods for thread wandering:-

Has anyone been contacted yet and told to go into isolation?
Old 28-05-2020, 11:45   #510
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

doubt it less someone said the sites gone down.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..