Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-05-2020, 13:23   #511
Beacon of light

Re: Corona Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Ha,Ha, Ha,
Talking of texting, Texing or whatever the proper name is, if I need to get in touch with any one by text, I simply hand the Nokia over to Hazel and she does it for me; (sad or what?). Aah yes wives do come in handy for certain situations. If you see this Hazel I am only joking. (a bit)

As for the provider taking your money Marge, Hazel put the Nokia on "Pay as you go" for me, with B.T. and as I said earlier I still struggle using it so the cost is minimal.
If I had to go back to my previous method of communication, "the carrier pigeon", it would cost more in pigeon food and rubber bands to hold the message to it's leg.
I was on pay as you go as well....but it seems this means they can rob you blind if you don't use the phone periodically.....it now costs nothing.

I don't need a phone when I am out and about.
monkey hanger likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-05-2020, 09:24   #512
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I was on pay as you go as well....but it seems this means they can rob you blind if you don't use the phone periodically.....it now costs nothing.

I don't need a phone when I am out and about.
my old mobile stays in the cars glove compartment. gets charged up occasionally and then i find i,ve no credit on it even though i have never used it. legal theft methinks. as for texting or txt as they call it its another job for her indoors on hers.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 11:45   #513
God Member

I too have a steam driven, unsmart mobile that only gets used very infrequently. It has a PAYG sim from Vodaphone that has no expiry date for calls and texts. Haven’t put more than £20 worth of credit and it lasts for years.
If you are being sold time-limited contracts, maybe that occurs when you also want data?
If you only need your phone for calls and text, tell the salesperson that as most kids will simply assume you must want data.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 12:37   #514
Beacon of light

When my Ma was alive I twisted her arm to have a mobile phone.(her electric went off a few times which meant her dect phone did not work.)
It had a vodafone sim in it and I put £20 for her...she did not use this phone....she hated it could not hack it even though it was a 'Doro'...sold for oldies..big buttons simple to use.
because she did not use in in a six month period the money went to greedy vodafone.
I went into the shop and complained and they said that this was the only pay as you go sim that they sold.....I did manage to get £10 clawed back when I explained to the manager that this was for a 88year old lady for emergencies....it seems that a number of years ago you could buy a sim which had different terms and conditions...they could not steal the money...but now you have to make a call or the money is gone and your sim is deemed dormant.
Laughing all the way to the bank.

I will have a smart phone when it does the laundry,puts it on the line and brings it in if it starts raining....if it could iron it and put it away then that would be a huge bonus
Old 30-05-2020, 09:25   #515
God Member

it does seem funny when the use that word Smart. phones, meters and cars. they seem to have one thing in common and it isn,t smart.
Old 30-05-2020, 10:24   #516
Beacon of light

I steer clear of anything that has the prefix 'smart'....it is aimed at those who are not smart.
Old 30-05-2020, 10:46   #517
God Member

like the word gay, has the meaning of the word smart changed from my schooldays.
Old 30-05-2020, 11:05   #518
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

You are absolutely correct, it isn't a smart phone, it is a highly useful hand held computer that can make phone calls.
It has more processing power than the computer that landed the first craft on the moon has far more uses than most owners and non owners can imagine.
cashman likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 11:19   #519
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

cant argue with that im useless with technology but i find out allsorts from this phone.its a damn site cleverer than me.
Old 30-05-2020, 11:31   #520
Beacon of light

Yes, that sums it up...it has more uses than we can imagine....soon it will be compulsory to own one....no the government won't be making it compulsory, but society will.
Old 30-05-2020, 11:35   #521

Quote:
Yes, that sums it up...it has more uses than we can imagine....soon it will be compulsory to own one....no the government won't be making it compulsory, but society will.
This member of society won't, if you don't want to take advantage of the many useful apps and devices that can be used with this device that is fine but please, stop being so judgemental about something you obviously know nothing about.
Old 30-05-2020, 11:39   #522
Beacon of light

I know enough Less to know that I do not WANT one...but increasingly, to use services of banking, PayPal etc I am being coerced into needing one to access services that I need to use.
And that IS society.
Old 30-05-2020, 12:17   #523

Quote:
I know enough Less to know that I do not WANT one...but increasingly, to use services of banking, PayPal etc I am being coerced into needing one to access services that I need to use.
And that IS society.
I don't mind you not wanting one as for banking etc can be done on normal P.C. no need for a 'smart' phone.

I cannot imagine you being coerced into getting anything you don't want.

Just a shame you have such a need to keep calling the device itself, I've been using them for over 10 years much better than my laptop.
Old 30-05-2020, 12:51   #524
Beacon of light

Less, to complete internet banking these days you either need a mobile phone(they prefer the smart phone) to verify your account.....PayPal are also now asking for a mobile phone number to verify your identity periodically.
Online purchases using a debit card or credit card also require this type of verification too.

You find that it serves your needs. I can think of no-one that would want to contact me if I was out and about....I do not feel the need to be connected to the internet all of the time.....for those who use them...I am sure they are a boon,(from what you tell me anyway).
Thanks, but no thanks.
Old 30-05-2020, 12:57   #525

Quote:
Thanks, but no thanks.
So, can we get back to slagging off Corona Virus?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..