Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-05-2020, 12:59   #526
Beacon of light

Re: Corona Virus

Over to you then Less.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-05-2020, 14:29   #527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
This member of society won't, if you don't want to take advantage of the many useful apps and devices that can be used with this device that is fine but please, stop being so judgemental about something you obviously know nothing about.
Oh, Come on Less, I was taught from a young age that the female of the species knows everything about "Well", Everything. Back to the Corona virus. Sorry Ladies.
Yours, the Luddite,
DaveinGermany likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 15:53   #528
Beacon of light

and Taddy I am sure that has saved your bacon on many occasions...not that you nbelieved it...but you knew enough not to challenge that wisdom.
(No wonder you have had such a long marriage)
taddy likes this.
Old 30-05-2020, 22:32   #529
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Oh, Come on Less, I was taught from a young age that the female of the species knows everything about "Well", Everything. Back to the Corona virus. Sorry Ladies.
Yours, the Luddite,

Not only do they know everything about everything, the recall ability (of all your sins & misdemeanors) makes an elephant look like a major scatterbrain!
taddy likes this.
Old 31-05-2020, 07:49   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
and Taddy I am sure that has saved your bacon on many occasions...not that you nbelieved it...but you knew enough not to challenge that wisdom.
(No wonder you have had such a long marriage)
Been Together for 57 year's and Married for 53 of them, so Marge, I cannot and would never fault your logic,I Must admit that I would be totally lost without the old girl.
Your's, Taddy
Old 31-05-2020, 07:57   #531

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Not only do they know everything about everything, the recall ability (of all your sins & misdemeanors) makes an elephant look like a major scatterbrain!
I can see you getting a bit of flak from the ladies Dave but as the Sargeant Major in "It aint half hot mum", used to say, (Oh dear, how sad, never mind).
, Taddy.
Old 31-05-2020, 08:31   #532
Beacon of light

Taddy, like you....we have been married for 53 years(54 if we both survive until October)
So it looks like we are both in it for the long haul...
Old 31-05-2020, 09:06   #533

Quote:
Taddy, like you....we have been married for 53 years(54 if we both survive until October)
So it looks like we are both in it for the long haul...
I certainly hope so Marge, all the best to you and your other half.
Old 31-05-2020, 09:35   #534
God Member

Quote:

. I can think of no-one that would want to contact me if I was out and about....I do not feel the need to be connected to the internet all of the time.....for those who use them...I am sure they are a boon,(from what you tell me anyway).
Thanks, but no thanks.
the only ones that seem to want to contact me now is car insurance companies who want me to take out their policies after i changed companies yet again. at least its a change from energy companies who took over prom PPE and no win no fee boys. do not do internet banking and i find the best place for any mobile tracking divice{i mean phone** is actually in the glove compartment of the car locked in the garage.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 10:59   #535
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I must admit I really didn't want a "smart phone", my brick was ideal for my doings I could call folk, they me or on ocassion a text with details/address when vocal comms were difficult.

Since Feb last year I inherited a "smart phone" & it still gets pretty much used like my old brick (& that is still used & underway when I am), I don't do the banking thing on it but it does have other convenient uses which are ideal when I'm on tour, the routing is more up to date & accurate than a SatNav & the locating aspect is ideal for the fuel stations we have a card for, furthermore opening times & the likes of relevant firms/customers can also be ascertained which helps with punctual delivery.

There are other useful aspects to these things & now that I've got one I can see the benefits & advantages which I had previously waved off.
cashman and taddy like this.
Old 31-05-2020, 11:07   #536
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I must admit I really didn't want a "smart phone", my brick was ideal for my doings I could call folk, they me or on ocassion a text with details/address when vocal comms were difficult.

Since Feb last year I inherited a "smart phone" & it still gets pretty much used like my old brick (& that is still used & underway when I am), I don't do the banking thing on it but it does have other convenient uses which are ideal when I'm on tour, the routing is more up to date & accurate than a SatNav & the locating aspect is ideal for the fuel stations we have a card for, furthermore opening times & the likes of relevant firms/customers can also be ascertained which helps with punctual delivery.

There are other useful aspects to these things & now that I've got one I can see the benefits & advantages which I had previously waved off.
same sorta thing happened to me dave, to be honest i wouldnt like to be without one now and once i was dead against em. mind in the main i blame stanley for that lol
Old 02-06-2020, 09:02   #537
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

https://www.cumbriacrack.com/2020/04...id-19-victims/

What a wonderful thought, yes a memorial for those that have died because of the pandemic not just those of the NHS but for all victims, there are many other essential services that have had losses and even the victims that weren't part of an essential service deserve just as much recognition as the rest.

Everyone of the 'fallen' leaves friends and relatives that will miss them, rememberance mustn't be for a chosen few but for all.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 13:45   #538

I’m sure we all remember the shelves being stripped bare by the pan(dem)ic lemmings just before the lockdown started. Well here is a bit more of the story which I’m sure nobody would have predicted at the time. Of course as the story progresses I will not be surprised to hear ‘its a planned restructuring that was all planned in advance and the timing is pure coincidence’.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nor...oilet-18326424
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 20:00   #539
Beacon of light

Apparently if you visit hospital, are in hospital, or work in a hospital.....the rules are you must wear a mask AT ALL TIMES.....really?
Poor patients, poor staff....how will they go on at meal times?

This edict might have been useful at the start of the lockdown(though there is some who believe that the peak had already passed by the time lockdown started) but now?

And anyone wanting to get on a bus or train will have to wear a mask.....well, no....not a mask, but a face covering.
How does that prevent the spread of the virus?
The answers is it doesn't...but it makes it look like the powers that be are taking some decisive action.
Wearing a mask will not prevent you picking up the virus(it might even make you more likely to get it...people warring masks, face coverings touch their faces more frequently so may transfer the virus from hand to their mouth accidentally.

Once a mask or face covering becomes moist with exhaled breath, it makes it easier for bacteria and viruses to pass through it.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:36   #540
God Member

again is this face covering all about london once again. is it another way to attempt to make travel on the tube especially seem safe. in my neck of the woods those on buses have gone from zero passengers to about 6 max. do not know what its like over the hill but cannot see it being much different.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..