Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-09-2020, 20:43   #1066
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Corona Virus

well a drunk outa the reckoning so is monk so have o be one of the other two.
Old 26-09-2020, 21:18   #1067
Beacon of light

I am not sure what I will come out of this as.....can't be a monk,can't be a hunk.....won't be a drunk.....and as we are both on reduced rations, I hope not to be a chunk.....so I guess it will have to be a punk
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 08:26   #1068
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
There isn't much fun about what is happening right now, but I saw thia nad just HAD to share it.

There are only four ways this lockdown can end...you will either come out of it a Monk, a chunk, a drunk or a hunk...so you had better choose wisely
friar tuck could be the poster boy for the virus.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 20:48   #1069

Am Just out of hospital after a nasty respiratory infection - never a good time to be in hospital but probably not a better illness to be in with at present as they pulled out all the stops suspecting covid initially (doubt would have got so much attention with a fracture or other ailment) Anyhow - point is I had regular covid tests while there, five in all and proper covid tests are not pleasant ...one swab right down the back of the throat and another right up the nose until it's painful, thankfully all were negative. What I did realise though is the so called self testing kits are absolutely pointless as nobody except the odd masochist would be able to carry out the test properly ...maybe half might manage to shove the swab down their throat but hardly anyone would be able to shove the one so far up their nose till it pains themselves. The hospital staff agreed so what a complete waste of time and money those self testing kits are i Believe somebody put the failure rate at 93%. Why is this scandal not highlighted ?
nicola68 and monkey hanger like this.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 21:25   #1070
Beacon of light

Even those used in hospital are not reliable...when I say that I mean that there are a lot of false positives because the tests are not specific to Covid 19....they may return a positive result from viral proteins that can be up to a year old(so a cold you had last august may result in a positive test result).

Much of the hoo-ha about the rising number of infections is not about people being ill...it is about people having POSITIVE tests(and one person may have three or four tests and each on will be recorded as if they were a seoarate person)...and a positive result in the absence of symptoms does not constitute a case of Covid 19.

So why would people without symptoms go and have tests...well if you need an investigation or have to visit a hospital for some form of treatment, then before this can be done you are required to have a test...if the test proves positive, your investigation/treatment is defeered untill you turn up a negative result....so the places where most testing is done will look like they are a hotbed of infection.

you don't find something unless you are looking for it.
Also what needs to be recognised is that the PCR test was never meant to be a diagnostic tool...even the man who invesnted it tells us that...and it was not meant to be a diagnostic tool because it has a poor level of reliability.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 28-09-2020 at 21:28.
Old 28-09-2020, 21:46   #1071
Beacon of light

Jimmy, meant to say...glad you are out of the hospital.
Hope you continue to improve every day.
Look after yourself.
Old 29-09-2020, 09:35   #1072
Beacon of light

There is a situation called 'The False Positive Paradox'
The PCR test relies on genetic material from viruses...it requires a fair bit of DNA to determine a result....this means the material taken from a nose or a throaty needs to be amplified in order to get enough DNA to test.

The PCR test is also not specifically looking for the Covid 19 virus, it will pick up DNA particles from other viruses you may have had in the last 12 months...dead particles of old viruses.

The PCR test is unreliable because of this and has a false positive rate of 0.8 per cent.
This sounds very small.
This does not mean that it is 99.2 per cent accurate(that is what you would possibly assume)
When the prevalence of the virus is low...as it currently is there are a lot of false positives.
The more people who are tested, the more false positives will emerge.
If you tested 10,000 people with the PCR test when the prevalence of the virus is just 0.1 per cent, then you will get ten true positives and 80 false positive...90 cases.....with 80 having no symptoms at all.

This was explained to me by a medically qualified friend who understands all this far better than I do.
So more testing makes it look like there is a spike of infections, when really there is not.
It is just a case of a test that is not suitable for purpose....much like the scientists leading Boris by the nose.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 29-09-2020 at 09:38.
Old 29-09-2020, 10:34   #1073
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1245153]There is a situation called 'The False Positive Paradox'
The PCR test relies on genetic material from viruses...it requires a fair bit of DNA to determine a result....this means the material taken from a nose or a throaty needs to be amplified in order to get enough DNA to test.

The PCR test is also not specifically looking for the Covid 19 virus, it will pick up DNA particles from other viruses you may have had in the last 12 months...dead particles of old viruses.

The PCR test is unreliable because of this and has a false positive rate of 0.8 per cent.
This sounds very small.
This does not mean that it is 99.2 per cent accurate(that is what you would possibly assume)
When the prevalence of the virus is low...as it currently is there are a lot of false positives.
The more people who are tested, the more false positives will emerge.
If you tested 10,000 people with the PCR test when the prevalence of the virus is just 0.1 per cent, then you will get ten true positives and 80 false positive...90 cases.....with 80 having no symptoms at all.

This was explained to me by a medically qualified friend who understands all this far better than I do.
So more testing makes it look like there is a spike of infections, when really there is not.
It is just a case of a test that is not suitable for purpose....much like the scientists leading Boris by the n itable or not, Please explain what Option Him or any P.M. has apart from listen to them?
Old 29-09-2020, 11:01   #1074
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

dunno how that last comment ended up like it did.
Old 29-09-2020, 11:16   #1075
Beacon of light

Well, I would have thought as Prime minister Boris would have the pick of the best scientists, rather than those who are currently giving advice...bearing in mind that the two top men have a conflict of interest because of their links with big Pharma.

Cashy, if you get ten scientists in room you can be sure there will be ten different opinions.
You cannot control this virus, you cannot put life on hold.
If you look at the figures of the deaths currently being registered....yesterday there were 17....there were 171 people in ventilatory beds(this does not mean they were being ventilated, some of the might have been, but others were in those beds in case they needed ventilating).....so what is all this about a spike in infections?
What percentage of the population do these figures constitute, because I was crap at maths....but I know that it is an infinitesimal per centage.....yet they are talking of even further restrictions.
My post was to show how we are being bamboozled, more than to take a poke at Boris.
If the PM can't get the best...then there is no hope for the rest of us is there?
Old 29-09-2020, 11:21   #1076

Quote:
Jimmy, meant to say...glad you are out of the hospital.
Hope you continue to improve every day.
Look after yourself.
Thank you - will be resting up a few weeks (no change there then) and hope everyone here keeps well - it helps more mentally knowing there are so many who aren't falling for the official line.
Old 29-09-2020, 11:25   #1077

Quote:
Well, I would have thought as Prime minister Boris would have the pick of the best scientists, rather than those who are currently giving advice...bearing in mind that the two top men have a conflict of interest because of their links with big Pharma.

Cashy, if you get ten scientists in room you can be sure there will be ten different opinions.
You cannot control this virus, you cannot put life on hold.
If you look at the figures of the deaths currently being registered....yesterday there were 17....there were 171 people in ventilatory beds(this does not mean they were being ventilated, some of the might have been, but others were in those beds in case they needed ventilating).....so what is all this about a spike in infections?
What percentage of the population do these figures constitute, because I was crap at maths....but I know that it is an infinitesimal per centage.....yet they are talking of even further restrictions.
My post was to show how we are being bamboozled, more than to take a poke at Boris.
If the PM can't get the best...then there is no hope for the rest of us is there?
What is more galling is that any questioning of the official line is heavily slated, ridiculed, declared false or totally ignored. Increasingly people are being denied the right to question, disagree or oppose what they are saying and most seem happy to go along with it all
Old 29-09-2020, 13:37   #1078
Beacon of light

Just to add a little humour...except......well, I will let you decide.
Funny or not.
nicola68 likes this.
Old 30-09-2020, 07:29   #1079
God Member

add to the unreliability of the test anyone who goes to be tested, get booked in and then leave before you are tested you,ll be classed as having a positive test. heard this from two people on different sides of the hill. if they wanted figures to be otherwise we all know what they would do then.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:28   #1080
Beacon of light

Food for thought....read it before it disappears.

http://tapnewswire.com/2020/09/ultim...w-world-order/

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..