Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2020, 19:59   #1

Reading; Books, Kindle and Audio books.

I discovered the website called 'Fantastic Fiction' a few years back.

I love it and have been using it ever since. It was first created by a Lancashire family and, over the years, has gone from strength to strength.

Then Amazon discovered it, and, seeing the potential, adopted it for their own purpose, instead of compiling their own catalogue of all-time fiction books, and have now linked it to Amazon's own website; linking each written work to Hardback, Paperback, Kindle and Audio formats.

A new innovation gives the reader the opportunity of making their own private list of all the fiction stories they've ever read.

I've rattled my brain to come up with my list, and it currently stands at 341.

Who else has discovered this website gem?
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-02-2020, 20:04   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Reading; Books, Kindle and Audio books.

can you only get stuff for kindle from amazon? my wife uses it and i wondered can she get anywhere else?
Old 20-02-2020, 20:21   #3

No Cashman. Kindle was created by Amazon but there are other companies that make ebooks that you can download electronically, too.
Old 20-02-2020, 21:52   #4
Senior Member+

I ordered 4 Kindles off Amazon. They sent me four candles.
lettie, taddy and monkey hanger like this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 21:58   #5

Ah! But were they electronic candles? If not, send 'em back, Bob!
Bob Dobson likes this.
Old 21-02-2020, 10:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Ha Ha, Hello, Mister Ronnie Barker.
Bob Dobson likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 13:11   #7

Be VARY wary of Audible.com. We had absolutely no contact with them and they started taking money from us. Only about £8 a month but it's still a fraud and they have been doing this to thousands of people

https://www.complaintsboard.com/audi...-fraud-c186327

Luckily our bank reimbursed us as the account they stole from us had not been used prior to this theft but some people who actually signed up for them were over charged and not reimbursed. They've been scamming people for nearly a decade and are supposedly linked to if not owned by Amazon so just not sure how they have been getting away with it. Must be costing the banks a fortune.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 11:12   #8

MY wife has use ebook readers (kindles) for years and while I initially found her thousands of books she has since gone on to find loads herself and kind of become the Kindle Guru where she works.

One thing that helps if you have your own collection of books on your PC is Calibre which can organise and convert all book types to your chosen format.

You can even load these books onto your Kindle, they on't all have to be the ones obtained from Amazon.
See this page for info.

DRM security can even be removed with a plugin for Calibre so dodgy book (how can a book be dodgy? lol) can be read on it.

I have my wifes old KIndle1 right next to me waiting for me to put a load of Terry Pratchett books on it for reading at lunchtimes..
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 11:38   #9

In fact, this thread has prompted me to get on with sorting the Kindle out, Using Calibre Im deleting the hundreds of books on it and when finished will be copying my TP collection to it.
As I can make the books use large print, this is gonna be really useful for me as I cannot read the paper versions I have without a pair of jamjars.
pompeylass likes this.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 12:30   #10
Beacon of light

I have had Calibre on my computers for about 6 years....though I have to admit I use my kindle Less these days.
I do like the kindle for weighty volumes, but I really like the feel of a real book.
I buy my guilty pleasure from Charity shops and donate them back once they are read.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 20:36   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have had Calibre on my computers for about 6 years....though I have to admit I use my kindle Less these days.
I do like the kindle for weighty volumes, but I really like the feel of a real book.
I buy my guilty pleasure from Charity shops and donate them back once they are read.
Pop in the Welfare for the blind book shop this Saturday (29 feb) Margaret and have a browse through our selection of books, I'll be running it with Marlene from 10am to 2pm.. We have reading for every taste.
Old 24-02-2020, 07:52   #12
Beacon of light

Thanks Russell.
I have very wide tastes so I can usually find something to suit.
My problems arise when publishers change the book jackets....I think it is something I haven't read, buy it and half way through(or sooner) realise that I know the ending!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 09:19   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Maybe it really is kindle in another language. Did you return it?
Poinsterity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 17:12   #14
Senior Member+

A few years, I needed to greatly reduce my stock of secondhand books ( I deal in them). I did so, and told my pal that the day before I had given a carload to the Accrington Blind Shop. He said "Were they all in Braille"
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 18:54   #15

I've been laughing my way through 'The Flat Share' by Beth O'Leary, a funny, quirky, read throughout.

My Total in FF is now up to 355. Voracious reading or what!

Just got my hands on two books called 'The Key' and 'Changes' by Linda Sawley. They're both about Burnley and Clitheroe, very Josephine Cox - like.

Both books are about the same family and set in the 1880's.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..