Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree235Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2020, 21:46   #196
Beacon of light

Re: Isolation calendar.

I would really like to like red wine....but I have never found one to my taste(juvenile and sweet)
All the red wines I have tried taste like they would be good on chips.

I lie......I like VinSanto, but that is not really a red wine, it is more like a fortified wine....if you drink more than a glass it makes your legs go rubbery.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-05-2020, 21:50   #197
Beacon of light

Day 46..... and behind my door today is one of those supersize gobstoppers....bigger than a golf ball.....it would last forever because I could not get it in my gob.
I was going to say it might sweeten my temper....but that wouldn't be true, unless I perhaps just had a lick of it now and then.
My patience has been a bit short too....so if Asda have a large box...please get it for me and I will see you right.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:14   #198
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I would really like to like red wine....but I have never found one to my taste(juvenile and sweet)
All the red wines I have tried taste like they would be good on chips.

There's a South Eastern Australian Red Wine called 19 Crimes that comes in a black bottle and what looks like a wanted poster from the American Wild West, it's very nice at about £9 a bottle, sometimes Tesco and Asda discount it to £7 it's a very nice smooth full bodied wine that is very fruity. Try and avoid cheap French wines that you can get from the supermarket here, a cheapish French wine in France is a lot nicer than the cheap French wines you get here.

If you're looking for red wines Australia, South Africa and South America are the places to look, I find Italian red wine to be far too sweet for my taste, but that might be down to the winery I choose.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:52   #199
Beacon of light

In the past all the red wines I have bought have not been cheap....Penfolds was one of the Oz wines.....my other half said it was like drinking Ribera, but with alcohol......I tried it and it was.....urgh....not exactly vinegar, but definitely not to my juvenile palate.
It went into the cooking pot and I begrudged that because it had been around the 10 quid mark.
Seemed a bit expensive to put into beef stew...although I preferred it on thebplate to in the glass.

I have given up the search really because I drink very little alcohol these days.
Old 09-05-2020, 13:42   #200
Beacon of light

what I really would like to see is Light at the end of the tunnel...and this is the nearest I have to a picture of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020056.JPG (1.85 MB, 6 views)
Old 10-05-2020, 08:23   #201

Quote:
In the past all the red wines I have bought have not been cheap....Penfolds was one of the Oz wines.....my other half said it was like drinking Ribera, but with alcohol......I tried it and it was.....urgh....not exactly vinegar, but definitely not to my juvenile palate.
It went into the cooking pot and I begrudged that because it had been around the 10 quid mark.
Seemed a bit expensive to put into beef stew...although I preferred it on thebplate to in the glass.

I have given up the search really because I drink very little alcohol these days.
Never mind the Red Wine Marge, When you are in Aldi look on the Ale Racks, "Medusa Ruby Red Ale 5% abv, very simular to My favourite "Hobgoblin" is on sale at £1-09p a pint whereas "Hobgoblin in Tesco or Asda is "2-25p a pint. (luvely jubely). Stay Happy,Stay Safe, Stay Inebriated, Your's the Luddite.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:50   #202
Beacon of light

Hello Taddy, I am sure that Aldi also sell your favourite Hobgoblin.....because each time I see it I think of you.

I am not a fan of beer or lager(except on the hottest of days with a raging thirst.....then it goes down like a fat boy on a see-saw).
In fact my favourite tipple is a good strong sweet brew of builders tea....made with leaves(Never bags) and made in the very large China cup.
Builders tea in a large Floral china cup seems a bit odd, but it is number one for me.

If I have to have alcohol....give me a glass of chilled White Zinfandel(and I like Cold Water Creek Brand the best).
taddy likes this.
Old 10-05-2020, 14:59   #203

Zinfandel ?, sounds like something that you fasten your trousers with.
Old 11-05-2020, 18:22   #204
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Zinfandel ?, sounds like something that you fasten your trousers with.

Or something out of Harry Potter! Apparently it's a type of Grape & I was quite surprised to hear that the Zinfandel Wine is a big thing from the "States". With a name like that I thought it was Germanic .... Aye well, you live & learn.
Old 11-05-2020, 19:25   #205
Beacon of light

Yes, I think it is a Californian wine.
I also like the Gallo Winery White Grenache......both the Zinfandel and the Grenache are not white wines, they are Rose....
Old 12-05-2020, 10:09   #206
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1239959]what I really would like to see is Light at the end of the tunnel...

at the moment the country is like our disused GNR line. all the tunnels have been bricked up at the ends.
DaveinGermany likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 18:32   #207
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Yes, I think it is a Californian wine.
I also like the Gallo Winery White Grenache......both the Zinfandel and the Grenache are not white wines, they are Rose....

Not really a Wine person, but have heard "Dornfelder lieblich" is a sweetish red?
Old 14-05-2020, 08:46   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Not really a Wine person, but have heard "Dornfelder lieblich" is a sweetish red?
Me neither Dave, I only whine when the price of my Hobgoblin goes up.
Your's, the Luddite.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 14-05-2020, 10:49   #209
God Member

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1240106]Not really a Wine person,

even when i did drink i was certainly in that club. something that resembled what you,d put on your chips for me. used to be a dark mild lover but that got rarer in pubs than a friedly copper in north yorkshire.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 19:11   #210
Beacon of light

Where is Ryewolf....I hope he is alright.
He has been a regular poster to this thread....and he has not posted for a few days now.
Come back Ryewolf.....all is forgiven...you can post as many bugs as you like...they can be ugly bugs too....I,promise I won't complain again.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..