Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-05-2020, 12:42   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Is it Coronaphobia...or lazyitis.

by the way the punds are equal to pounds( sorry fat fingers again)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-05-2020, 10:02   #17
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;

If you asked those who are clapping to pay an extra penny in the pund on their taxes to increase the pay of those key workers( and that means not just the NHS staf, but other essential supply chain staff) what do you think would be the response?[/QUOTE]

if any political party wanted to commit suicide that would be the first thing they would do.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 11:48   #18

It should not be down to a war veteran to raise money for NHS workers, that is the responsibility of the government, and if that requires a small increase in taxation I would not begrudge it at all. In fact I would rather pay the tax than stand at the door clapping. There are key workers in my household, are they clapping for themselves. My wife insists that I go out and clap, I think "so that neighbours can see us supporting key workers". My idea of supporting the NHS is going out to work, paying my taxes, staying at home when not at work and social distancing, much more practical than banging on a saucepan which wakes up the night staff keyworkers next door.
John Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 21:44   #19

Speaking of extra free money for unskilled labour I heard recently M.P.'s had awarded themselves a 2.7%. pay rise taking their basic pay to £79,468. This was decided back in Feb and became effective as of Apr. this year.

Do you think it's fair and they deserve this increase considering all the "work" they pretend to do on your behalf? It must be galling for those on minimum-wage to pay these professional liars and parasites more of their tax contributions (assuming they still have a job)?
skuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 06:57   #20
Beacon of light

Do you think it is right that the country should pay up to 80% of wages (up to £2,500 per month and the taxpayer pick up the tab.
There is a difference between a pay rise and a free ride.
Whether you think the politicians are worth what they are paid is irrelevant to the question asked in this post Skuta.
Old 28-05-2020, 07:03   #21
Beacon of light

In this world we know that people are not paid according to their worth.
Who is worth more....a pop star or a binman....who is worth more a footballer or a doctor??
If you want to live somewhere where you think everyone is equal....maybe you should consider China....except even in communist regimes there is always a group of people who see themselves as the 'elite' and dictate the rules to the lesser mortals beneath them.
Old 28-05-2020, 10:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
In this world we know that people are not paid according to their worth.
Who is worth more....a pop star or a binman....who is worth more a footballer or a doctor??
If you want to live somewhere where you think everyone is equal....maybe you should consider China....except even in communist regimes there is always a group of people who see themselves as the 'elite' and dictate the rules to the lesser mortals beneath them.
I will always remember a comment from a friend of my Dad's, a very staunch Labour "bordering on Communist", supporter, Allus merember son (yes that is spelt right),"The Manager and the bloke who cleans the Bog, (His Words), are no different, if the Toilet Attendent, (My Words), did not do his job reet we would all be up to our necks in S----.

Think about it, Regards, Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 09:29   #23
God Member

Quote:
you do not need to live in a communist country like china for the elite to surface. just stay in britain for all that.
Old 29-05-2020, 10:10   #24
Beacon of light

All societies since time began have had a hierarchical order.....even the animal kingdom has it....a pecking order.(and it has never been fair or equal)
There has to be rule and the ruled.
Old 30-05-2020, 09:34   #25
God Member

Quote:
All societies since time began have had a hierarchical order.....even the animal kingdom has it....a pecking order.(and it has never been fair or equal)
There has to be rule and the ruled.
true, but they do not need to pretend they have suddenly become experts once they obtain some power to rule or decide folks futures. local councillors seem to be the best at doing that. as jim davidson once said when he wanted to make inprovements to a part of gt.yarmouth he bought, i,m not letting the local postman dictate to me how i run my business that i have been in most of my life. i dont tell him about improvements to the postal service.
Old 30-05-2020, 10:27   #26
Beacon of light

The thing is a lot of folk will believe that getting to where they have got must mean they are 'experts'.
Definition of expert :- X marks the spot.....and a spurt is a drip under pressure.
That is not a dictionary definition...but then you knew that....it is MY definition...but so often it proves to be true.
Old 30-05-2020, 10:43   #27
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1240642]The thing is a lot of folk will believe that getting to where they have got must mean they are 'experts'.

or once they get into a certain office they do. with me spending most of my life in passenger transport then i know more about it than you. just the opposite in regards to the NHS where you know more than me. if you became a MP or a councillor there is a good chance of you, if you followed the rest, of knowing more than i did or ever knew about passenger transport.
Old 30-05-2020, 11:42   #28
Beacon of light

I know my limitations and would accept that on certain matters I needed to seek advice or at least do some research.
Not that there is any chance of me becoming an MP(other than my name) or a local councillor.
Old 01-06-2020, 18:09   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I know my limitations and would accept that on certain matters I needed to seek advice or at least do some research.
Not that there is any chance of me becoming an MP(other than my name) or a local councillor.
impossible you tell it as it is. in other words the truth.
Old 01-06-2020, 18:21   #30
Beacon of light

Cashy, you are right that I tell it like it is.....but as for truth....we'll, there are many versions of the 'truth'.and in most cases truth relies on our perspective and point of view...and also on the information available.....so truth is only rarely black and white.
DaveinGermany likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..