Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2021, 01:02   #16

Re: Nicknames

As for me, well one bloke used to call me ‘Dot with the lot’ – but this was simply because he thought he was really smart at knowing two words that rhymed…

…while if I wasn’t such a lady (debatable!!) I would have called him ‘Not Much Barry’. Explanation of this being that one day I had called in to see his wife, it was very hot and so I sat on the floor. Barry came storming out of the bathroom completely naked, yelling for a towel.

From where I was sitting I saw more than I really needed (or wanted) to see. On realising I was there he let out a couple of expletives, I told him not to feel embarrassed as little things don’t bother me. That went down well, but after all he had just come out from a cold shower.

However, I never did call him Not Much Barry because, as I said, I am too much of a lady (still debatable). So that was a nickname that never was.
Bob Dobson and taddy like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-05-2021, 09:16   #17
God Member

never been in the army but it does seem to be the hotbed of nicknames. some i imagine have been around for years whilst others come and go. always wonder if after all these years another person with similar characteristics comes up and gains a long dead nickname from the past.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:30   #18
Senior Member+

I've been told of a Superintendent who was known a 'Moth' because he picked holes in your reports. A PC Spreckly serving at Lytham went out on a lifeboat emergency one day, leaving his helmet on the green by the lifeboat station. The Inspector came looking for him. From that day on, he was known as 'Spreckly RN'. aAso at Lytham was PC 1 Lowe, aka 'The Chinese Policeman'
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 17:33   #19
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
always wonder if after all these years another person with similar characteristics comes up and gains a long dead nickname from the past.

Aye, the Army have been "Green" for years, plenty of recycling going on.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:12   #20

We had a guy in the boy scouts who was called “Slash”, in retrospect he probably had a weak bladder!

Cheers
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:34   #21
God Member

[QUOTE=landhusweg;1253638]We had a guy in the boy scouts who was called “Slash”, in retrospect he probably had a weak bladder!

however with nicknames it could be the complete opposite. doubt there were many chalkies about who had pail complexions. just wonder what name born, bred or residents of accrington are known as.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:41   #22

When my lad was in the Royal Tank Regiment his moniker was Milkbottle, no amount of sun, winds etc would give him a suntan.

Last edited by taddy; 05-05-2021 at 10:48.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:37   #23
Senior Member+

A lad called John Rowbottom was knwn as 'Paddlearse'
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:32   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
When my lad was in the Royal Tank Regiment his moniker was Milkbottle, no amount of sun, winds etc would give him a suntan.
just wonder what the present day PC brigade with do with that or other nicknames we have seen on here. they,d be claims for em affecting mental health blocking up the court time for years to come. away from the forces do they actually exist anymore nowadays.
taddy likes this.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:42   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yep they do i know loads with nicknames these days.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:56   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yep they do i know loads with nicknames these days.
glad of that. just wondered if it was something else thats been killed off. know you do not get the nicknames of players in the sunday league like you got years ago.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:00   #27

This thread has got me thinling about people I've worked with who I've got no idea about how they got their nicknames, Captain Arrow, The Mask, Chief Muppett are a few I can think of.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 16:51   #28

Oh come on, the chief muppet must have been the manager,
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 18:56   #29
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Some old Liverpool ones are Eyesier, for someone with one eye higher than the other, Tilly Mint/Mary Mint for a random female, Yozzer for someone with the surname Hughes, Father Bunloaf for a Catholic priest & Scuffers for the local Constabulary officers.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:29   #30
God Member

well they can stop calling us lot from hartlepool monkey hangers now. just call us tories from this morning onwards.
taddy likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..