Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-05-2021, 23:38   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Music memories

I know there's a thread somewhere about favourite music.. but I think this is a little different.

I'm creating a playlist on Spotify to get me and mine to Cornwall and back in a few weeks time.. its currently at 8 hours 27minutes..Pavorotti, Joan Baez, Neil Diamond, AC/DC and the Pogues to give you a flavour of the diversity of my taste.

As I'm doing this I'm hit with memories that resonate with me.. Pavarotti totally killing Nessun Dorma on a warm summers evening at the 3 tenors concert at the world cup in 1990, Freddie Mercury obliterating everyone else at Live Aid, Johnny Cash singing Hurt in his closed down museum, John Denver belting out Eagle and Hawk, and others who will never add to their library Cass Elliot, Glen Campbell, Karen Carpenter, Jim Morrison etc etc etc

I sat in my garden tonight listening to my young neighbours blasting out repetitive electro dance music with no vocals.. (I'm tolerant, I've been there, windows rolled down in the car, radio full blast and yep as most of you old farts know you actually had to roll them down with a handle and fit a radio and aerial yourself)

In 30-40 years time will my young neighbours have any music memories?
Old 29-05-2021, 03:52   #2

Re: Music memories

Ah, music memories, Guinness. This reminds me of when my children were growing up and I was criticising the ‘rubbish’ they listened to. I said I couldn’t understand it. They asked me to give them an example of what I had listened to (and danced to) in my day. I said (admittedly a bit sheepishly) ‘Oop Bop Sh’Bam a Klook a Mop’ – and they just shook their heads and walked away. Needless to say I stopped being critical.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 07:55   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

There are many classic driving tunes, could I suggest Canned Heat on the road again? Always one for my long haul head thumpers.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 08:13   #4
God Member

problem with music is that one mans favourite is another mans noise. things you do not like you quickly turn the volume down. like it you turn it up. as long as music has a fast beat and some sort of tune to it that will do for me. classical and big dance bands from the 30,s and 40,s are my main like. can listen to agadoo and the birds song but keep those slow tuneless balads well away from my ears please.
Less, dotti34 and DaveinGermany like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 09:40   #5
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

As I spend lots of time on the road music is a big factor in my daily doings, late night early hours something mellow, bit of Don or Dolly, through the day dependent on road & weather conditions something upbeat but not thumping, Meatloaf, Queen, Roxy/Bryan ferry prime examples or other easy to sing along to tunes.
Old 29-05-2021, 14:30   #6
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I, like you have used Spotify to create a playlist. Mine is based on all the music I've loved while growing up, but could never afford to buy. Some of my mates always had the latest clothes and records but we weren't so lucky and these things had to be saved up for. As a teen my record collection was limited to a few singles.
I have very varied taste and have songs from Nancy Sinatra, Gary Numan, Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballe, The Vapours, Siouxie and the Banshees, Prince, ZZ Top, Bananarama, Altered Images, The Stranglers, Ramones, Japan, The Buzzcocks, Jeff Waine's War of the Worlds and loads loads more. Every song holds a memory and I listen to them when I'm out walking. If I had to buy all the music I wanted, I'd be terminally skint. That's what I like about Spotify, it's tailored just to me. :-)

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 14:58   #7
Beacon of light

Guinness, you are to be applauded for this lovely thread.
I do not have Spotify but I do have some lovely musical memories.
I have very wide musical tastes.
I love classical music....but it is the popular type of classical music.....and I would have to have some Puccini to listen to(even though it might make me cry)....but I like the Eagles too....ELO.....the Doobie brothers, Micheal McDonald, Josh Groban....Enya.....the Beatles would have to be in there too. Oh, and all of those you mention too
I hope your compilation goes down well and that it makes your journey to Cornwall whizz by.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 16:00   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i always wondered what spotify was now i have some idea ta fer that. myself i did a disco for over 30 years but only played late 50s 60s and early 70s owt in that era is what i love simple as. apart from odd records which i could never stand but mind i never bought them. enjoy yer trip to cornwall i love the place.
Old 30-05-2021, 08:12   #9

Monkey Hanger, your mention of the Big Bands brings back more memories for me - they made brilliant music, were great to watch and wonderful to dance to.
monkey hanger likes this.

Last edited by dotti34; 30-05-2021 at 08:14.
Old 30-05-2021, 09:01   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Monkey Hanger, your mention of the Big Bands brings back more memories for me - they made brilliant music, were great to watch and wonderful to dance to.
the father of her in the kitchen actually played with geraldo live for many years. he seemed to have had two separate bands. the one that played live and the one that recorded his music. he was a trumpeter charlie addiscott but we have never seen his name on records. mind you some records not that popular at the time might have been lost or tucked away somewhere. on to another band, who could ever forget harry roys version of my girls pussy. available on you tube for those who want a good laugh.
Bob Dobson likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 10:51   #11
Senior Member+

I really like the 1950s-60s songs of David Whitfield, who is never heard on the BBC now after he was sent down for sexual assault of a youngster in Blackpool in 1967. . He emigrated to Australia.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 11:01   #12
Beacon of light

I am surprised that they let him in!
Old 31-05-2021, 07:19   #13
Beacon of light

My playlist would have to include some of the music from Carousel....this film is guaranteed to give me a lump in my throat the size of Gibraltar.
‘If I Loved You’....the duet by Shirley Jones and Gordon MacRae.....the ‘Soliloquy’.....My Boy Bill.....and the choir at the end singing ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’
West Side Story too.....’Maria’.....’Somewhere’.....’Gee Officer Krupke’.....’I Feel Pretty’.

This thread has made me revisit some of these songs and has given me a very pleasant few hours.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Old 31-05-2021, 18:07   #14
Beacon of light

Was once serenaded by a very handsome Teddy Boy....to Be Bop a Lula.....I was only about 15 and it was on the skating rink in Rhyl
dotti34 likes this.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:42   #15

Margaret, I was once serenaded in Italian by a very handsome young man as he rode past me hanging on to the side of a garbage truck…that didn’t matter, it quite made my day.
pifco likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..