Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2021, 10:04   #31
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Fireworks

I also seem to remember that if Nov' 5th fell on a Sunday the 'celebrations' would be held on the Saturday.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-11-2021, 09:31   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I also seem to remember that if Nov' 5th fell on a Sunday the 'celebrations' would be held on the Saturday.
yes they were, but after last nights lot it seems as if it falls on a friday they are also put back 8 days.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 10:39   #33
Beacon of light

Strange…I do not recall postponing/ bringing forward Bonfire Night if it fell on a Sunday.
cashman likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 10:44   #34

Me neither
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 11:06   #35
Beacon of light

As far as I remember .bonfire night was only ever held on the fifth of November…it was never a moveable feast.
Old 14-11-2021, 11:07   #36
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I think the bommy on Saturday was more of an economic/social thing, especially when the Pubs would put a display on. As Kids I recall we'd take it in turns amongst the neighbours as to who'd host the bommy that year & all the Mums would do something to take, butties, pies, sossy rolls Treacle toffe etc (all home made mind).

The Dads would organize the "Party 7's" a modest packet or two of fireworks, (weren't going to waste good Beer tokens on rockets), & us kids would get some sparklers, then as the fire burnt down & turned to embers we'd stuff spuds & Chezzies in tinfoil around the edges.

Happy days & the joy of kidhood!
cashman, taddy and monkey hanger like this.
Old 14-11-2021, 12:16   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
As far as I remember .bonfire night was only ever held on the fifth of November…it was never a moveable feast.
It never was but i,m sure as a kid that one year most people had their fireworks and bonfires on another day when it did fall on a sunday. remember back in the old days sunday was regarded as a day of non enjoyment where even just playing out was frowned on by some miserable sods. can still hear the words of don,t you know its sunday when you dared to kick a ball about in the afternoon. its one thing where change has been for the better.
Old 14-11-2021, 13:04   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i think that musta depended on where yeh lived round this way twas always November 5th as i recall? mind they were strange gits elsewhere lol if it was sunday way back Guy wouldnt have said put it off.
Old 14-11-2021, 13:21   #39

Yeah bommy night was 5th whatever the day. Plate meat and spud pie, red cabbage,separate pastry on loose broth, suping Bovril, fireworks and treacle toffee.... and them black peas and vinegar. Kids know zip, it was fun not a biggest bang, you wanted it still burning in the morning
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 15:29   #40
Beacon of light

Treacle toffee, we didn’t have Bovril….we had dandelion and burdock(stantons…stone bottles)
Sarsaparilla and home made ginger beer to drink(I am sure that stuff was alcoholic because our lads used to go daft after drinking it)….a great big Jacobs join….Mrs Flynn made the best Parkin ever.
And the fireworks were more for wonder than for scary……bangers didn’t burst your ear drums.
Old 15-11-2021, 08:58   #41

We weren't allowed to have a bonfire or fireworks on a Sunday. Can't remember whether we had them Saturday or Monday instead.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 12:03   #42
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1259443]Treacle toffee, we didn’t have Bovril….we had dandelion and burdock(stantons…stone bottles)

Were Stantons an accrington firm as i remember an accrington firm delivering over into yorkshire in the early 60,s selling various pop in stone bottles out of a van. Remember the accrington connection but not the firms name. it was a novalty as we had not seen the like before.
Old 20-12-2021, 17:59   #43
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Just a little side note here folks, the Germans & lots of European countries tend to celebrate New Years with a major blow out & lots of fireworks. This year in Germany the Govt & the Lander have decided there is to be a ban on the sale of said items so as not to overload the health system with additional injuries clogging up the Ozzys on top of the covid carry on (and to also reduce pollution levels).

If folk have some lying around from a previous year they can fire them off, but the shops will not be selling them, this is now being challenged by the firms in Germany who make fireworks because such an action will be losing them a vast amount of their yearly turnover. Furthermore, it will mean folk sneaking over borders to buy legal & illegal products from neighbouring countries.

Seems that politicoes, regardless of their nationality or leanings really don't do joined up thinking & the assessment of cause & reaction.
Old 20-12-2021, 18:53   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1259533]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Treacle toffee, we didn’t have Bovril….we had dandelion and burdock(stantons…stone bottles)

Were Stantons an accrington firm as i remember an accrington firm delivering over into yorkshire in the early 60,s selling various pop in stone bottles out of a van. Remember the accrington connection but not the firms name. it was a novalty as we had not seen the like before.
Stantons were an accy firm, and deliveredto many places so was probably yorkshire, to educate them to decent pop they were in stone bottles also.
Old 20-12-2021, 21:01   #45
Beacon of light

We awaited Friday night with anticipation.
That was the evening they delivered to Marsden Street.
We waited at the bottom of Riley’s Hill with our two stone bottles…..we mostly got sarsaparilla and dandelion and burdock…but sometimes ginger beer.
It was rationed at our house…because it was a luxury.
Can you imagine explaining a glass of pop being a luxury to the kids of today?
monkey hanger likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..