Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2021, 06:14   #1

Reading old threads can be fun....

Before anyone points it out to me, yes I know that old threads have been mentioned a few times on this site, but I thought I’d start a new one about reading the old ones.

Having nothing better to do this afternoon I thought I’d take a trip down memory lane and I did what Odders had done that inspired his thread. I can recommend doing this, It is worth it, and very enlightening at times, so many subjects covered, so many opinions given, and although political correctness has been around for a while it didn’t always seem to apply here. Certainly members did not go overboard trying to be pc and thank goodness for that. What a shame that we have to be so careful what we write these days.

I’ve been having a few chuckles. Came across one thread entitled ‘old rhyme’….some funny ditties there, and some I remembered from when I was little. Maybe we won’t mention the one about moonlight, eh! Cashie. As for talk about passing wind in those ditties, there was more than one mention of methane emissions (in less than a polite way). All a bit of fun.

Interesting to have comments if you have looked back on the old threads.

By the way, did you know that vegans are said to pass 60% more methane than meat eaters? Just thought I’d throw that one in.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-11-2021, 09:59   #2

Re: Reading old threads can be fun....

Yeah dotti, there's loads in the archives. Ken Moss he was a tool user. Well he certainly ended up one same as Graham Jones. They ended up being elected and disappeared. Only to backtrack and not answer questions that they promised. That's a laugh, where are they now?

I had a few posts deleted, back in days....but yeah archives can pull up some funny stuff.
dotti34 likes this.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 18:49   #3

Looking back on this site was also at times tinged with sadness when coming across comments from those members who have sadly passed away. Some great characters. It was a privilege to have known them, even if this was only through their posts on A/W.
Old 23-11-2021, 23:10   #4

Deffo, Eric was a great guy. Only looking back I found out he had passed.

He smoked, drank, shot over and over. Always took in the stray cats lol....

Archives can be funny for sure...
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 17:53   #5
Beacon of light

Yes, Eric was a good guy.
Not only did he make sure that the stray cats did not starve, but he fed the other local wildlife too.
He loved his deaf old Jack Russell terrier too.
dotti34 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 18:12   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

theres many people i miss and always will Eric i didnt know apart from on here, but had some great friends now gone R.I.P. them jaysay, katex, were two i knew that were very special, Mick as well, my memories not the best theres more i cannot think at the moment,
dotti34 likes this.
Old 24-11-2021, 21:56   #7
Beacon of light

Benipete, Ber999T are two others that spring to mind.
I only knew these people from coming on here….though as Ber999t was an ambulance man I feel sure that we would have met at some point.
Eric, I miss…he was a really clever man….and I learned much from him.
He had a way of making you think.
dotti34 likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 24-11-2021 at 22:04.
Old 24-11-2021, 22:05   #8
Beacon of light

And how can we forget Susie123…..?
Another contributor who always posted some interesting stuff.
cashman, odders and dotti34 like this.
Old 25-11-2021, 08:27   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yeh benipete i used to mate with him in 60s told yeh my memories knackered,
Old 27-11-2021, 11:46   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
theres many people i miss and always will Eric i didnt know apart from on here, but had some great friends now gone R.I.P. them jaysay, katex, were two i knew that were very special, Mick as well, my memories not the best theres more i cannot think at the moment,
I came within 500 miles of meeting Eric around Christmas 2015, O.K. over here that is a distance but over there it's no more than a spit away.

What happened was, I was asked to work on some industrial monitors in New York, It would take about a fortnight with a few days off over the Christmas Season.
So I P.M.'d Eric about meeting up somewhere, unfortunately his reply was in the negative due to commitments for the holiday season plus the main reason the weather there at that time of year could become mean which meant we could stuck wherever we met for longer than either of us could afford. So I just missed meeting him.

As it was, come Christmas my workmate and I became real New York tourists and spent a couple of days in the big apple.

It turned out to be the warmest Christmas there on record we had dressed up ready for extreme cold and instead had the threat of sunstroke!

Below is a pic of the daytime temperature and also a cool bar we found to while away our time plus some decorations.:-

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 15:04   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
By the way, did you know that vegans are said to pass 60% more methane than meat eaters? Just thought I’d throw that one in.

I ate in a vega resturant once. Never seen so many emaciated people in one place
Old 28-11-2021, 03:56   #12

Yes, Margaret, Susie123 – such a brave woman who contributed many interesting and thought-provoking posts to the forum. Like so many others we have been privileged to know through this site, she faced what life had thrown at her full-on with dignity and not one shred of self-pity.
Old 28-11-2021, 04:08   #13

Interesting to read some of the (heated) debates that have taken place. It's certainly a good place to let off steam.
Old 28-11-2021, 11:19   #14
Beacon of light

I often wonder about MargaretR.
The last we heard of her, she was moving to a more acceptable home…..but have heard nothing from her since.
She was another member who had ‘meaty’ views….and she sometime attracted ridicule….but I am beginning to think she was ahead of the game.
odders likes this.
Old 28-11-2021, 11:21   #15
Beacon of light

And where is GrannyClaret…she of the reminder to say ‘Rabbits, Rabbits…white Rabbits’ on the first of every month.
I wonder about these people….and wish they were back posting their interesting views and ideas…and giving their advice.
odders likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..