Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2022, 19:06   #16

Re: Up to 70million investment for Accrington Town centre.

£70 million would be better enticing companies to set up shop in the borough, so they can afford the all you can drink coffees. The ghetto is full of drunks, beggars people who don't care. Build them a warehouse and send them there. Drop in centers for drug addicts, shouldn't be in the town cent. As It just gives more opportunity for crime. Use Accy Vic, it was a hospital once upon a time.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-01-2022, 19:54   #17
Beacon of light

Odders, I like the cut of your gib.

It is too late to return Accrington to the vibrant market town it was….for a kick off you need a vibrant market…..and our market is comatose…..and half of it has been sold off to a company that will demolish it and turn the empty space into a car park….it might not be a free car park either.
What has Accrington got that would bring drivers into town…..so car park not necessary.

These pipe dreams are arrived at by people who don’t live in the real world…..have no comprehension of what the residents needs are…..and are only interested in what could be termed ‘vanity projects’……like the wasteland that is in front of the town hall and the Market Hall.
It was going to be used for all manner of things but is just so much paved nothing.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 09:05   #18
God Member

Think you could substitute accrington for the majority of the old northern industrial towns of a similar size. no better, no worse. lack of proper and wrong investment over the years has caused this. decisions made for tourism. come on i doubt coach companies will ever put accrington, keighley, middlesbrough etc. on their tour itineries now or previously.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 09:19   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
Think you could substitute accrington for the majority of the old northern industrial towns of a similar size. no better, no worse. lack of proper and wrong investment over the years has caused this. decisions made for tourism. come on i doubt coach companies will ever put accrington, keighley, middlesbrough etc. on their tour itineries now or previously.
wrong mate Oswaldtwistle is still coaches come to ossy bubble factory.
Old 14-01-2022, 11:46   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
wrong mate Oswaldtwistle is still coaches come to ossy bubble factory.
honestly i do not know why. its not bad but imagine there will be something very similar on their own doorstep. we have been once and its just something else ticked off the list. do locals go regularly.
Less likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 12:29   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
honestly i do not know why. its not bad but imagine there will be something very similar on their own doorstep. we have been once and its just something else ticked off the list. do locals go regularly.
yeh it seems to do ok to me.i dont know why either.
Less likes this.
Old 14-01-2022, 14:13   #22

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1262562]honestly i do not know why. its not bad but imagine there will be something very similar on their own doorstep. we have been once and its just something else ticked off the list. do locals go regularly.

Only if they have nothing better to do, like bathing the dog, cleaning the car, brushing the cat and the 1001 other more importent things in life. ,
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 14:25   #23

Smile Re: Up to 70million investment for Accrington Town centre.

Think investment,esp in things like markets would be good. Independent shops,maybe highlighting some of the great architecture of the town would be good too.

I still remember going round the old outside market when i was a kid and seeing tourists from the US and Japan,as well as being able to get a wide variety of things can't now.

But the council would need to not charge expensive rents and to make it attractive to stall and shop holders.
Here's hoping
Taddys daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 14:52   #24
Beacon of light

Taddy’s Daughter….we had a vibrant market….we had a town that was busy and that brought in people from outside…..but it was left to deteriorate. It was not looked after…it was not made the most of…the potential was wasted…money was squandered.

They moved a bus station that brought people in to a place away from the market and this further cut off the economic blood supply that the market depended on.

Good quality retailers took flight….and cheap shops took their place….this is what happens in areas of deprivation

The town has had money to invest….but it concentrated on vanity projects.
These have not brought any benefits to the town and they certainly have not brought people into the town.

What are currently projected as plans….are in the same category as the previous ill considered investments..they are pipe dreams…castles in the air. They mean nothing that is relevant to the population of the town.
People spend their money in other towns that have made the most over the years of what they have.
I know I sound like a wet blanket, but we have been down this road before…..and it took us into the wasteland that we are in now.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 14-01-2022 at 14:57.
Old 14-01-2022, 16:11   #25
Beacon of light

The council has passed the plans for the Town Centre Investment Plan. Well, of course they have….why would they not.
It involves 18 projects and can take up to 15 years to be completed.
20 million of the funding is said to be coming from the governments levelling up fund.
Further monies may be available from a Town Heritage Lottery Grant.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-59965090

https://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/news/c...n-town-centre/

Oh yes…a water park….this is not one of those with slides and flumes etc….it is the current Platts lodge…..not sure how it will be ‘dickied up’ to make it a water park…..but I cannot see anyone getting on a bus to visit it.

All this is said to be aimed at making the town a ‘proud, bustling, vibrant area’……dream on.
Old 14-01-2022, 16:28   #26
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Why don't they go the whole hog, ask for a billion that way they can settle for a quarter of a billion, with a proposal for re-developing i.e. knocking down all the terraced houses and building semis with driveways to re-house all those of us that need somewhere to re-charge our electric cars?
Going green is the answer no matter what it costs both in cash & resources,
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 16:34   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

less dont add to the bullshine.
Less likes this.
Old 14-01-2022, 17:14   #28
Beacon of light

They may not get the 70 million….it is not guaranteed that a Heritage Lottery Fund bid may not be successful. There are other towns similarly placed who will be bidding for money.
Old 14-01-2022, 17:25   #29
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
They may not get the 70 million….it is not guaranteed that a Heritage Lottery Fund bid may not be successful. There are other towns similarly placed who will be bidding for money.
Whatever they manage to get into their begging bowl no matter how small will be a golden opportunity to announce to the world how much they have achieved on our behalf and whatever and wherever it's spent, I doubt it will make one bit of difference to our lives.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 17:50   #30
Beacon of light

They are not in their lofty positions Less to make any kind of improvement in our lives…they are only there to big themselves up.
How much was it that PB’s lot spent on the resurfacing of Broadway with a terracotta coloured resin that was a few millimetres thin and it broke up and looked a mess…..now changed for black tarmac with yellow ‘cornflakes’ in it…..wonder how much that cost.

The whole place is tired and down at heel…if it was a horse you’d have it put out of its misery and make glue from the bones.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..